How would you guys feel about co-op?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm well aware, Paladin, thanks. The point is that this business about "Silent Hill is different for everyone!" Isn't some unbreakable rule that MUST be upheld or else IT'S NOT SILENT HILL GRRRR
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

AuraTwilight wrote:I'm well aware, Paladin, thanks. The point is that this business about "Silent Hill is different for everyone!" Isn't some unbreakable rule that MUST be upheld or else IT'S NOT SILENT HILL GRRRR
I know. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I don't necessarily agree with him either. :P Personally, I think that even if they did break some of the "established rules" of the series, that would be fine. Shattered memories turned the whole series on its head and was a better than average game for what it's worth. I'm looking forward to see what NEW that Vatra games brings to the table. I'm a little disappointed it wasn't a first person game myself...
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^hopefully there's an option that will allow the game to be played in FPV. i mean, during the trailer (if some of what we saw was gameplay footage) there's a part where the camera goes into first person as Murphy is looking around the apartment. whether or not we can move around as well is the question.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wait, you mean it can be both an FPS and NOT an FPS? lol this is the greatest possibility I've ever heard, I pray to God it becomes true. The forums will explode.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Chrysaor
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Chrysaor »

AuraTwilight wrote:Note most people who say this have never played the games and don't know much about the game beyond character names. Excuse me for not giving a shit what most people thing.
I've watched two different playthroughs and read the only basic plot synopsis I could manage to find, as I don't even have an arcade anywhere near here, let alone one that has Silent Hill: The Arcade in it. I was no more impressed than I was by Dying Inside or Bridge of Thread, which is not a very high accolade.
AuraTwilight wrote:I am, but I disagree with your reasons for your opinion. Your complaints rely on your specific, potentially erroneous interpretation of Silent Hill.
Every opinion of something that's mostly subjective is generally unique to the viewer, and potentially erroneous. If you have legitimate reasons for your opinion that do not conflict with anything present in the game, then you are just as correct as anyone else who follows the same guideline. However, co-op would more than likely cause the next entry to lose quite a bit of this element as well, which is an undeniable reason why Silent Hill is so beloved by so many different people. If I no longer even have the option to believe that Silent Hill is experienced in a unique way by different characters, then the series will instantly lose all dedication I've vested in it. It's fairly selfish to think that it's perfectly acceptable to strip the game of that possibility, since you can still have your conceptions either way.
AuraTwilight wrote:In fairness, this can be attributed to external factors, such as the console wars bullshit, and the fact that the fanbase was split by SH4 long before those games showed up, so they never even faced the same chance of bringing in the same fans.
I think that the biggest factor was the complete bullshit that 'Team Silent no longer makes the games, so they're automatically going to suck'. It's simply lazy and/or ignorant to believe that. However, I do believe that Japanese influence (Or even influence from other eastern cultures) has a lot to do with essential aspects of the series, since Japanese culture exposes it's people to figurative language, metaphors and symbolism on an almost constant basis. The effect it has on their creative process is readily apparent in many ways. I'm not saying that western developers can't create symbolism on the same level, but it requires much more effort on their part, since they live in constant exposure to a completely opposing ideal, and aren't forced to think in a figurative way every day of their lives. Believing that the exact same developers are necessary to make the series what it is is completely ignorant, as Team Silent has never consisted of the exact same group of people anyway.
AuraTwilight wrote: Wait, you mean it can be both an FPS and NOT an FPS? lol this is the greatest possibility I've ever heard, I pray to God it becomes true. The forums will explode.
I know you're probably joking, but I think that a first person view has the best possibility to create an incredibly tense atmosphere. Not if it played like a generic first person shooter, of course, but you would be able to accurately represent at least some of what it would actually be like to be in your characters shoes. Imagine if you became less composed, and started fumbling around with reloads and became less accurate the closer you were to danger. You shouldn't constantly have your gun in your frame of view, nor a crosshair as a point of reference (nor any active HUD whatsoever), making you take a lot of time to actually perform an accurate shot. Damage would cause your ears to ring, your heartbeat to start throbbing in your head, and your vision to blur. Realistic head movement would also be a must. These are just a few of my ideas, but I spend a lot of time thinking about what it would be like to have a Silent Hill game in a realistically depicted first-person view. It would remove the necessity of either controlling like shit or being entirely too difficult, and it might actually be fun to play for once.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I've imagined ways for co-op in Silent Hill... but everytime I remember that the sheer fact that you have to play with someone else will break the experience. They could eliminate the option for voice chat, like isolation feeling games like Journey are doing, but there's always the chance that the other player could dick around.

But I can imagine some scenarios, say, one person is stuck in the otherworld and you're stuck in the foggy world,, and together you can find items and place them in places of use to each other... However, how communication would work within the game world would be tough. It wouldn't work with voice chat, so you'd need something more esoteric... like when one person progresses to a certain area, he paints in clues or something in a room to tell the other person that he is alive and here's what they ought to do next...

Maybe the characters couldbe younger children, brother and sister twins (not necessarily identical). One could be caught on one side and maybe at times the world will flip around for either of them? Boss encounters could involve tactics being handled on both sides simultaneously. Say, a creature is attacking one person and they cannot defeat it and can only run away and keep from harm, which someone on the other side must solve a puzzle in order to stop the creature...

Some interesting possibilites exist to make a very cool and differnet co-op experience. It might be possible to play as a single player as well similar to Resident Evil 0.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I don't like co-op for silent hill because being alone is part of what makes it scary, and before anyone mentions eileen keep in mind that she was weak and she could also get possessed so she didn't help much and she could hurt you. She was more of a liability. After the downright stupid ai in resident evil 5's co-op i think i would be happy with no co-op.
lisbent
Just Passing Through

Post by lisbent »

no co-op for silent hill please. defies the purpose of being alone and isolated doesnt it?
Uncensored
Just Passing Through

Post by Uncensored »

Co-op would be awsome if it were like mercinaries from Re5, but no time. Just an endless hord of monsters and you w/ 3 friends running for your life. Plus,i think you should unlock more items as each minute passes in that match.
Darkness will rise, humanity will fall!
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Uncensored wrote:Co-op would be awsome if it were like mercinaries from Re5, but no time. Just an endless hord of monsters and you w/ 3 friends running for your life. Plus,i think you should unlock more items as each minute passes in that match.
Mr Negative
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr Negative »

No co-op.
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

Post by PyrmidHeadPwner »

Online co-op I would definately root for, but campaign co-op I don't like too much.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

The game that adds co-op to Silent Hill is the game that Silent hill, is... well not so silent after all. Co-op just... wouldn't work for a game like SH. It would ruin the atmosphere, even the story, possibly the fun. Leave that for the new direction of Resident Evil, that's cool and all, just don't ruin SH with ideas that wouldn't even really fit. Experiment like a MFer on games that really are just for fun, are GAMES. Silent Hill, if you look into it, as I'm sure all of you know is more than just a game. So... be careful Vatra. haha
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I do not want co op in Silent Hill. Ever. There are tons of new ideas that could be tried, but please, keep co-op out of Silent Hill!
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Really the only place where co-op could perhaps work in a SH game would be in an arcade version, because who really gives a shite about those.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Greenkai3000
Just Passing Through

Re: How would you guys feel about co-op?

Post by Greenkai3000 »

How about a co-op mini game, or bonus game like in RE4 and SH2?
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I'd be game for that.

And also...this is like the third thread for this idea I've seen. That's weird.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Co-Op in Silent Hill sure would be interesting. I'd be all for it! :D
SH seems like a game where co-op would be really hard to use, but I'm sure it's possible. They did it with Obscure, Dead Rising 2, Gears and other games (Not going to say RE!) so it wouldn't be impossible. I just think with this game and how the story is going to be, it'd be really hard to put into co-op. It feels like it's meant to just play alone.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

They did it with Obscure, Dead Rising 2, Gears and other games (Not going to say RE!) so it wouldn't be impossible.
ObScure, while it is a good game, is set as a typical "Hollywood teenage nightmare".
Dead Rising; The only "horror" that you can find in such a game are the zombies, apart from that it's all a plain fun/funny experience.
And Gears of War is a third-person shooter with sci-fi elements. Games like this tends to go multiplayer with just a blink.

The point is, these genres are very different. They're not a psychological horror like SH. This was said many times but the "alone" feel of the SH games are some of it's charms. Placing multiplayer on it would ruin the experience. Many people will think that it's another "zombie killer" game and wouldn't want to solve puzzles with you or whatever the Hell you will be doing.

EDIT: And the Resident Evil series are nice. ;)
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I don't know about you guys but in general it's a lot harder for me to be scared or nervous when im not alone.