Has anyone noticed something weird at the end? *SPOILERS*

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

mikefile
Gravedigger

Has anyone noticed something weird at the end? *SPOILERS*

Post by mikefile »

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but at the end of the game when Kaufman starts clearing out reality to Cheryl he throws the glass of wine at the wall..

It made me think about the good and good+ ending of the original game when Kaufman throws the vial of Aphlagotis thing at the girl (Alessa and Cheryl reunited) and she trasforms into the Incubus.

What does it represent- both of the actions happen at the end of the two games.. What does the glass with alcohol and the Aphlagotis liquid have in common. How to connect those two? Furthermore the Aglaphotis appears in the third game when Heather swallows it to reppel God from her womb.

The definition is- red liquid made of medicinal herb which has the effect to reppel evil spirits. Well.. we can say that alcohol reppels evil spirits too.. if that's what they mean. :)

So.. I would like more theories about it or a simple: "That's just coincidence man, let it go!".
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Re: Has anyone noticed something weird at the end? *SPOILERS

Post by SilentWren »

I had assumed that it was one of those cutesy little connections that they put in just so the fans would get all nostalgic.
Idk, it's a bad idea to try to link SM to the other games. It'll confuse you. It's a separate cannon. To fit it in, you have to ignore the cannon ending of 1, and completely ignore the third game altogether.

But because you took time out of your day to post this, I'll give you a theory to make you feel better <3

Back in the day, before science and smart people, most cultures believed diseases were caused by evil spirits. Anything that is naturally antibacterial would be considered holy and anti-demon. Alcohol is antibacterial. There we go. Problem solved. Lol.

I don't actually think that's what they were trying to do with the whole glass throwing thing, but I can't justify it any other way, so that's what I wrote. I'm sure it came across as sarcastic, but I'm just really nice some days.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's just a cool little nod (which I haven't noticed before, kudos!), but it doesn't mean anything other than Kauffman getting angry and smashing shit out of anger. If anything, it means that the psychologist has issues of his own.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

Oh dude, I never noticed that before. But yeah, that's definitely a call back.

I'd say, in the original, he uses the aglophatis to get the demon out of her. He throws the wine glass in an attempt to make her wake up, and shake her out of her delusion. Thematically similar.
DavTheProtagonist
Just Passing Through

Post by DavTheProtagonist »

Good catch!
When the radio began to static up... I... I think I pooped myself.
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

Maybe he's got issues of his own... But he does say to wake up or snap out of it before he throws it. I think he's just trying to get her out of her little world and back into the real world.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Hmmm...i don't see the connection...every little mishap or action that a character does, doesn't always have to be symbolic to previous games of the series. I too feel that he was just a bit angry and trying to snap her out of her delusions...nothing more...i think you're looking a wee bit too deep into this...
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^Agreed. I didn't see it as anything other than trying to BREAK her delusion. I know I personally was staring off at the floor, my mind trying to figure out WTF was going on in this game as he was droning on and on about tigers in space and shit. Then the glass breaking shook me and captured my attention again.

I think this is one to be thrown in the amazingly small pile of COINCIDENCE.
theParsa
Just Passing Through

Post by theParsa »

What an amazing find! Now that i think of it, it must be intentional similarity.
I was a bit suprised when Kaufmann threw the glass, but i get it now.
Also what is the correct name for the red substance? (Aphlagotis? Aphlogatis?)
I can't remember and i'm too lazy to look it up.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Aglaophotis.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

It's probably comparable to how both events causes something major to happen, God splitting, Cheryl realizing everything allowing Harry to walk in.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

It never clicked to me before you mentioned it, but yeah, it does seem like a tiny nod to the original. Thanks for pointing it out, it's fairly neat.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I agree. We could just toss this off as a coincidence... but why? Every single little detail of the TS games has been examined repeatedly for its inner secrets as if they were some kind of super metaphorical phenomenon; that everything they made had a hidden meaning or duality to it. A lot of what I see as coincidence in the earlier games are revered by some people to be deliberate acts of genius. Are we to assume that Climax are any less genius than Konami's own dev teams were? Why couldn't this be a subtle nod to Kaufmann "exorcising" Alessa's demon with the Aglaophotis? After all it has a similar effect. It rouses the truth within, and happens in the end-game sequence. Good notice, there. I never really took the time to properly parallel SM to SH1 except for the vague outline of locations visited and characters met.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

I never thought about this before. I think it's acknowledging the occurrence in the original game, for sure, but I think that's about the extent of it.

I wish I had caught this connection myself!
prince700
Just Passing Through

Post by prince700 »

I didn't notice that.. Well, it have a "Connection"..Cool find!
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Yes, I agree with the functions of the two actions.. But it got me thinking.. by comparing these two actions it reveals us something else..something bigger. We can say that Kaufman is a positive character,maybe a bit too agressive, but still.. a good character- he is trying to help a girl in need realising that it is she the author of her own twisted world- And not just him, Dahlia also.. she also wants to help her daughter.. So.. what I'm trying to point out are the banal differences of good & bad between the two games. I also want to point out the function of "God. In the real world when we think about God we see it as a good and pure thing, but- during all of the Silent Hill series' God is shown as something awful, wrong and sinful. Why did Alessa/Cheryl/Heather hated God so much. Why was she resisting it's birth and Dahlia's and Kaufman's ideology?.. In Shattered Memories for the first time we see the REAL REAL world and the true facts.. The ressurection of God is in fact the realization of the truth that has been held in dark by Cheryl for so long- the fact that her father died. The cult named "The Order" represents the people that tried to help her realize the truth that she rejected (like Dahlia, her mother; and instantly Kaufman, since he made part of it)- so she transformed them into some kind of evil cult members that using magical ceremonies ( therapy session ) try to birth God ( realization of the truth), that seen by Chery is the demon, because she does not want to accept it.

Wow, maybe I've gone too far and off topic..sorry if too much.. but all of these are just theories which are part of another theory- that the game is not cannon.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Er...no. Alessa was resisting God's birth because it was gonna kill everyone. The original Silent Hill isn't a delusion of Shattered Memories-version Cheryl, they're separate universes, like the movie.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I think he was just trying to put the two games together as a "for instance..."

He even said;
mikefile wrote: but all of these are just theories which are part of another theory- that the game is not cannon.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I know, but it still doesn't really work at all.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

mikefile wrote:but all of these are just theories which are part of another theory- that the game is not cannon.
AuraTwilight wrote:I know, but it still doesn't really work at all.
Why? As a cannon it doesn't fit but as a non-cannon.. why not? Could U explain to me more thoroughly why in the supposedly non-cannon universe, considering all the facts SH1 wouldn't work as a delusion of SHSM?