Will Revelation incorporate Harry Mason's SH1 experience?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Will Revelation incorporate Harry Mason's SH1 experience?

Post by jdnation »

Most seem confused as to how the events of SH3 will preceed from the ending of the first movie.

But what if the backstory to Revelation is that following the events of the first film, Sean Bean's character 'Christopher Da Silva' returned back to Silent Hill to search for his wife and daughter himself and ended up being pulled into the Otherworld until he finally found Cheryl and got her out himself? Then he renamed himself 'Harry Mason' and his daughter to 'Heather Mason' and bleached her hair...

In other words, this backstory would follow a similar path that the first game took, and such details would be unveiled over the course of the film as Heather searches for her father while being pursued by the cult. So Revelation would offer a faithful account of the SH1 game alongside the story of SH3. Of course changes will take place to accomodate what the previous film set up alongside making the story play well as a film. But it will place 'Harry' in the role of rescuing his daughter where Rose failed to, and would also be an opportunity to bring other characters back into the picture such as Lisa Garland (What's left of her anyway) and Dahlia of course, and quite possibly Harry's famous encounter with Cybil at the Amusement Park.

The Detective Christopher (Harry) meets in the first film can also return to be the 'Douglas Cartland' to help Heather.

So in a way, purists who didn't appreciate Gan's vision of SH1 with a woman instead of Harry will be satisfied and we get a better retelling of the stories of SH1 and SH3, and retelling SH1 in this manner still faithfully follows the events of the first film while also giving a backstory that new audiences can follow and understand when they watch Silent Hill: Revelation.

On that note I'll mention that I'm glad they're going with a subtitle, even if 'Revelation' ain't exactly an original one, but it fits the theme of the story of Heather realizing who she is while shedding light on what, more or less, is going on at Silent Hill. Also if they ever do plan to adapt the other games, they can call them 'Silent Hill: Restless Dreams' or 'Silent Hill: The Room' or 'Silent Hill: Homecoming' etc.
SilentWren

Re: Will Revelation incorporate Harry Mason's SH1 experience

Post by SilentWren »

I just don't know at this point.
They're going to have to get really creative with the plot, because we all know the first movie didn't set the stage for this, at least not in the way we know it from the games.

On a side note, I'd be stoked if Douglas was in it. I always loved his character, and there would be a lot they could expand on with him. They probably won't, but it'd be nice for the freaks like me.

The only problem is that the only way this could tie into the first movie would be if Heather were a Claudia or something. Idk.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I see no way they could possibly stay true to the game /and/ the movie. Either they'll incorporate the backstory from the first game, they'll do something completely different, or tweak it majorly to suit the first movie.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well given the path the movies have taken, they don't need to stick too closely to the game's stories and characters. They can be liberal with the ideas presented and stick to a few of the main beats. The first film ended on a pretty open-to-interpretation note.

While I suggest all this, I also prefer some ambiguity to remain in terms of what's happening.

Way I see it is that Claudia is part of a cult who remained/survived/some other competing order/ whatever... Her close relationship to Cheryl, that was there in the games, need not be present, but they can still work it out as some kind of classmate/reluctant friend relationship where Claudia was probably Alessa's only companion when they were both being bullied at school, and she develops a creepy intimacy towards Alessa and becomes obsessed with finding her again and bringing her back to the a cult where she found solace following Alessa's disappearance and Silent Hill's demise... Unlike the cult from the first film, her order is of a different sort with a different view of heaven, god etc. and thus a different view of Alessa's role in it.

Christopher, following the events of the first film, returns to Silent Hill in search of his wife and child, possibly after seeking the help of/being informed by Claudia's cult who want Alessa and figure her adopted father stood the best chance of finding her. Using their help (at first reluctantly because he's skeptical) he ends up in Silent Hill and goes through somewhat the same events detailed in SH1/similar to Rose in the first film. He would've encountered Dahlia and even the spectres of Lisa Garland and Cybil and perhaps even Rose herself who help him find Alessa. Then seeking his way through Silent Hill, he fights past the monsters and eventually Samael and rescues Alessa from the Otherworld and escapes Silent Hill, but Alessa loses her memory as a result.

Knowing that Christopher has found Alessa, the cult that aided him now tries to take Alessa from him. But perhaps Rose/Dahlia/Cybil/Lisa, who Christopher encountered in the Otherworld, warn him against the cult. So Christopher, knowing the police would never believe what he went through in Silent Hill, and having experienced the power of the Otherworld, flees... changes their identities and hides. Christopher becomes Harry, Alessa becomes Heather.

Heather lives her life on the run, not quite understanding why, and when she turns 18, her father disappears one day and she finds she is being pursued by people who her father warned against and who they have been on the run from. Over the course of the film she learns about everything that happened.

All of this can work out in the end. It doesn't need to be exactly like the games in all the details, and the backstory of what Christopher went through need only to be detailed in a few brief flashback scenes and spoken exposition over the course of the film as Heather journeys through the Otherworld that's emanating from within her back towards Silent Hill to get to the bottom of things. Perhaps she herself encounters what used to be Lisa, Cybil and Rose who inform her of who she is and what her father went through to eventually save her and why she must not allow the cult to get ahold of her. Christopher of course, might've been doing his own research just like he did in the first film, but more into the cult beliefs and thus was afraid of Alessa's impending 18th birthday and disappeared while seeking to find some solution to the god regrowing inside of Alessa. But he is caught by the cult and then killed.

The rest of the story pretty much follows the game's story. Claudia's father could be the cult leader, therefore possibly giving a male oriented theme to Revelation as opposed to the female one of the first film. In the first film the mother was the nuturer and it juxtaposed the cult leader Christabella versus Rose; in this case it'll be of the father as protector and cult leader Leonard Wolf versus Christopher, and subsequently about their daughters Claudia and Heather.

As per the game, Leonard and his son Vincent wanted to kill the god growing inside Alessa which is why they set up Christopher to find her. By the events of the movie's present along with detailing this backstory, Claudia, who loved Alessa, breaks away from her father's instructions in order to follow her own beliefs and have god be born through Alessa. Heather can then have the confrontation with Leonard in the sewers and kill him after Leonard reveals more to her about his and the cults intentions. She then ends up in a confrontation with Caludia at the Church in Silent Hill where the last film ended. Claudia is the only one who can help her, but Heather doesn't want the god to be born and use her as a vessel, so using the medicine that Christopher kept in her locket just in case, she aborts the fetus, which is then swallowed by Claudia whom Heather must now kill.

The detective of the first film, who could be called or play 'Douglas,' perhaps helped Christopher out and was also suspicious when someone form the Order made a request to find Alessa. So over the course of the film he aids Heather and also takes her to Silent Hill. His will be a small part, but perhaps also the character best used to emphasize the separation between the Otherworld and real world, much like Christopher searching for Rose in the first film.

Anyway, I feel this could be the best possible scenario for the film, though of course I'm not the one writing it... so who knows? But it's a good opportunity to follow the game's storylines more closely and keep the first film as part of it.
Last edited by jdnation on 05 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.
gomezaddams
Just Passing Through

Post by gomezaddams »

though it's completely unlikely this would happen - i wouldn't mind them pushing the cult story to the back and used the town itself as the central plot/character device.
using names and characters from SH3 but in the way that SH2 was.
mostly this is due to how they portrayed the cult in the 1st movie - i wasn't a huge fan.
though Christabella was one of my favorite parts of the film, cast/character-wise.

i'm interested to see the first bit of information released on this shortly. then we can all speculate with
a little bit more basis :)
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

I'd rather have them somehow use the Heather story without tying it into the first movie at all. I have no idea how that'd work exactly, but I just think it'd be a bit weird to see them try to tie it all together. The ending to the first film was kind of ambiguous (in my opinion), and it can be left that way. Maybe Heather can be tweaked into an entirely new character, with cult relations but without neccesarily being Sharon in disguise. I'd just like to see them strike out on a different storyline, rather than building from the first one. That's just me.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Nice theory j.
There's only one problem...
It makes sense, so they won't do it that way.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Two sentences, and people are automatically assuming that it's not related to the first one. Alessa/Sharon could have grown up, Christopher (her "Father") renaming her as Heather Mason and living as the Masons, etc. We can't do much but speculate.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

simeonalo wrote:Two sentences, and people are automatically assuming that it's not related to the first one. Alessa/Sharon could have grown up, Christopher (her "Father") renaming her as Heather Mason and living as the Masons, etc. We can't do much but speculate.
Wasn't Alessa/Sharon still in the Otherworld though? Then again, if the new movie is related to the first movie they would do something to explain that. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely unrelated to the first Silent Hill movie. If it was a sequel, then why not call it Silent Hill 2, instead of Silent Hill: Revelation? Or is that just a work-in-progress sort of name? But yeah, all we can do is speculate. It's like when SH8 was first announced, and then when the trailer was shown. :lol:
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:If it was a sequel, then why not call it Silent Hill 2, instead of Silent Hill: Revelation? Or is that just a work-in-progress sort of name? But yeah, all we can do is speculate. It's like when SH8 was first announced, and then when the trailer was shown. :lol:
The trend in movies and even games now is that, unless your first film was some blockbuster megahit phenomenon that everyone is familiar with, it's wise not to number it as '2' because some people may shy away from it by feeling they must watch the first one in order to understand the second one, so you're potentially limiting your audience. And as you go along, the higher the number, the more the effect comes into play for newer audiences. Subtitles are less intimidating to those who are unfamiliar with the product. So really it's just a tactic to appeal to more people to watch the movie and not worry about what came before if they don't know or care.

But also it's most probably because they didn't want confusion to arise between the story they're doing (which is based on the SH3 game) and the story of the game Silent Hill 2.

If they ever do adapt the story from Silent Hill 2, I figure they'll call it 'Silent Hill: Restless Dreams' from the subtitle given to the game on its re-release for the Xbox.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Those were my thoughts as well.

I actually was expecting a "Restless Dreams" to be the next installment, but I guess they're setting up their own canon for the movies.

It's going to be soooo forever before we actually get a chance to see this movie. *Is sad*

Yuki

Post by Yuki »

It's also possible they'll change the name; if I'm not mistaken, they've not even written the final script for the film yet.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I think this is just like the time people were drooling over if SH8 was a first person shooter. We don't know anything yet.
Magnolia
Just Passing Through

Post by Magnolia »

welll if the chorsd ar rightuhh
Image Image
Droo

Post by Droo »

Magnolia wrote:welll if the chorsd ar rightuhh
...excuse me?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Magnolia
Just Passing Through

Post by Magnolia »

Droo wrote:
Magnolia wrote:welll if the chorsd ar rightuhh
...excuse me?
I believe I was attempting to respond to the first post.
Image Image
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That doesn't explain anything at all...
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Sorry to spam, but I have to say, the last few posts have had me laughing out loud.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

*cough* Okay, this thread has nosedived into comedy.

But in all seriousness, your theory, jdnation, is very well thought out, and it makes a lot of sense. I doubt it would end up being this way, because one can decipher it with enough thought, but you never know.... I have a feeling that the sequel will be a lot more original than what most of us have boiling in our minds, but I think it will draw a lot from the games, as well. It's hard to tell, like others have said--we don't know anything, yet. Just a few statements, that it will have Heather in it, that it's in 3D, that it will shed some light on the first film, and some other small stuff. But that's pretty much it, so anything is fair game, really. Well, almost anything.

It's safe to say that it will be in some way (majorly/minorly) related to the first film. Hopefully in ways that will surprise us rather than fail to.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
capillaries
Just Passing Through

Post by capillaries »

This theory really makes sense. I feel like if they have a valid explanation of how Christopher gets to Sharon/Alessa out of Silent Hill, or the Fog World and why.. It could actually work out without feeling so far-fetched. If there's a possibility Claudia/The remaining cult/The Order finds out about how Alessa carried out her revenge - in other words - what power she sustains, they would most likely go after what's left of Alessa, if their motive in this movie is to attempt birth their God.

Great job with the theory, really! It made me believe a little more that this movie really could work out. yayy.