Has anyone noticed something weird at the end? *SPOILERS*

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Has anyone noticed something weird at the end? *SPOILERS

Post by AuraTwilight »

Ah, I see. Well, in SH1's context, it's implied that Lisa was actually somehow seeing Alessa's nightmares, probably due to her telepathy, and was using the drug to suppress it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

oh, so the drugs are used to supress it.. Did she took them or Kauffman gave it to her, to shut her mouth about the creepiness happening around Alessa?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The drugs were basically Kauffman's "payment" to keep her doing the work.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

+ the other kind of "payment"
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I think that was more or less for his benefit and not hers. She could sack anyone. He uses the drugs and his position in the hospital to bring in what he can.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Nobody would want old floppy Kaufman dick anyway.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't know, the guy's a sex bomb in Shattered Memories if you ask me.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I like these kind of "nods" I found in SM. It helped me believe the developers noticed the details of the original, and didn't just create a new game based on loose plot elements from it. There's a lot I had forgotten about the original and was reminded of by SM, which definitely helped add layers to its feel and atmosphere. Those layers exist without having played the first, I believe, but it helps add even more if you did. Because then there's all those nods and fun little easter eggs you notice.

And about Kaufman. Never thought of him that way before, but hmmm... He does look better than Harry in SM. It's the other way around in the original, imo.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I never understood this desire some people have to force Shattered Memories into continuity with SH1. It just doesn't work. Why do some people want it to so bad? Is the idea of an alternate canon for a game really so horrible to people? I can't imagine it is since the people who try to do this usually say they are fine with it making other games in the series non-canon. It just doesn't add up. Why can't you let the games be what they are? Well, at least this theory didn't involve Kaufman keeping Cheryl in a drug-induced delusion for her entire life. *sigh*

Although, I must say...
mikefile wrote:It explains that Silent Hill is not a paranormal fiction bullshit
I think this is the wrong series (or, hell, the wrong GENRE) for you. Silent Hill does indeed deal with very human and very personal issues and uses them as the canvas for the world and story. But it's supernatural, buddy. You are either going to have to come to terms with that or join a different fandom.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

BECAUSE WE'RE FANS AND WE LONG FOR CONTINUATION.

There was a lot of previous SH nods in Shattered Memories, however.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

simeonalo wrote:BECAUSE WE'RE FANS AND WE LONG FOR CONTINUATION.

There was a lot of previous SH nods in Shattered Memories, however.
It was a reimagining. They said that when the game was announced.

Of course there are going to be a lot of nods.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

NanayaShiki wrote:I think this is the wrong series (or, hell, the wrong GENRE) for you. Silent Hill does indeed deal with very human and very personal issues and uses them as the canvas for the world and story. But it's supernatural, buddy. You are either going to have to come to terms with that or join a different fandom.
Listen.. I think you really crossed the line here "buddy". After 7 years of admiring SH YOU are going to tell me that this is the wrong series for me. I don't wan't to be rude but get a grip! We all have our ideas here of SH and you are gonna have to face it.
Regardless SHSM- a cannon game, I personally believe that the supernatural is a cover for the problems of reality. That's my opinion, and by that I don't trash other people's thoughts.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

mikefile wrote: Listen.. I think you really crossed the line here "buddy". After 7 years of admiring SH YOU are going to tell me that this is the wrong series for me. I don't wan't to be rude but get a grip! We all have our ideas here of SH and you are gonna have to face it.
Regardless SHSM- a cannon game, I personally believe that the supernatural is a cover for the problems of reality. That's my opinion, and by that I don't trash other people's thoughts.
Calm down. Getting worked up over a little joke isn't going to do you any good.

I'll word my statement differently then. Silent Hill is a supernatural series, this is confirmed fact. Get over it.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Saying to someone to leave a forum (even between the lines) doesn't seem like a joke to me. If it is, I've got to say: you have horrible taste.

I agree. It is a supernatural series. But it's not that simple as you are making it.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

mikefile wrote:Saying to someone to leave a forum (even between the lines) doesn't seem like a joke to me. If it is, I've got to say: you have horrible taste.

I agree. It is a supernatural series. But it's not that simple as you are making it.
You sure are sensitive. I was saying you are going to have to come to terms with it being a supernatural series, since you seemed to want very badly for it to not be, going so far as to call the supernatural elements "BS". Saying if you can't come to terms with that you'll have to join a different fandom does not mean "OMG LEAVE THIS FORUM NOW", it means "this game series has supernatural elements and if you don't like that then you aren't going to like this game series". Relax, guy.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

How about you both go to your neutral corners and stop acting like 14 yr. old girls.

The series has many elements and the supernatural/paranormal is one of them. It isn't everything but it is something important.

And no, SH: SM is not cannon. It is a different canon. The major canon set but SH1 and the minor canon set by SH: SM are two different canons. Both are to be treated equally, but separately.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Harrys_Girl wrote:How about you both go to your neutral corners and stop acting like 14 yr. old girls.

The series has many elements and the supernatural/paranormal is one of them. It isn't everything but it is something important.

And no, SH: SM is not cannon. It is a different canon. The major canon set but SH1 and the minor canon set by SH: SM are two different canons. Both are to be treated equally, but separately.
That's actually exactly what I was trying to say myself. But perhaps my choice of words and general attitude was a bit immature. I honestly didn't think he'd take offense to the comment, but if it ends the situation proper then I'll apologize. Both to him and the mods that have to deal with us.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I'm not beeing sensitive, I just didn't like your attitude.

NanayaShiki wrote:I was saying you are going to have to come to terms with it being a supernatural series, since you seemed to want very badly for it to not be, going so far as to call the supernatural elements "BS".
You are now twisting my words pal.
mikefile wrote:It explains that Silent Hill is not a paranormal fiction bullshit
I didn't mean to say that the paranormal/supernatural is bullshit; I said :"paranormal fiction bullshit"- which is different; I wasn't saying that the paranormal is bullshit in general; I was applying to a single dumb paranormal as an example. SH contains supernatural stuff.. but it doesn't make it bullshit.
SH has a portion of supernatural and a portion of crude reality. Those two must be equalized. And they did it by making SH1 and SHSM (regardless SHSM cannon). SH1 has cults, ceremonies, spells,etc.. SHSM doesn't- it shows a problematic 25 year'old.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Mike, stop it, already. It's really not worth it.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I understand what mikefile is saying.

Minus the interview (which I'm surprised nobody has linked yet) and just taking the game itself into account, Shattered Memories is the psychological journey that Cheryl takes to realize that (insert atypical spoiler here.) There's nothing really magical about it, it's a personal journey, which is the heart of the series. Retribution and all.
I think that's where the confusion came from.
But no, SM doesn't fit into the rest of the canon. I guess it's like a spin-off universe. I don't know if they will ever have another game set in that universe, but I doubt it.
It was a cute little addition to the Silent Hill series, but not part of the first games.

So...there we go.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128