Miners Are People, Too (Spoilers?)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: Miners Are People, Too (Spoilers?)

Post by Kenji »

No, it probably wasn't a wise choice, just because of the nature of violence in video games.

Me, I rather enjoyed hunting down and exterminating the Order Soldiers. It was only long after I'd finished that I thought about what that said about me, how I'd become the monster, etc. I suppose it was valuable in that way, but I can't say that was the intent of the developers.

As a side note, am I the only one who thought of Chileans when I saw the topic title? :P
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

Kenji wrote:As a side note, am I the only one who thought of Chileans when I saw the topic title? :P
Rofl Oh wow. I didn't even think of that when I started this thread! Now it's just funny to me.
Kenji wrote:I rather enjoyed hunting down and exterminating the Order Soldiers. It was only long after I'd finished that I thought about what that said about me, how I'd become the monster, etc.
Yeah, that kind of afterthought can get me sometimes when I become extra vicious when killing things in games. I was got really bad in the subway in SH3; "Heeeere puppy, puppy! I got something for you... A nice bullet between the eyes! :twisted:"
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

It seemed weird and a bad move to me at first, but it fit's with the game's story, and it's only in the last level (I think). Plus....humans are the scariest monsters of all.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Hearing the dev's speak about this game and the way they describe it's plot and themes, i'm positive they didn't intend for the gamer to feel guilt in killing humans...it only fit their storyline due to the cult and the miner models found in the movie.

It didn't bother me at all, but it probably would've worked better to have the humans disfigured and representing the horrors that he seen in the war....smog is the only creature that represents some of the visual horrors that he might've seen in war....furthermore i thought smog's concept art was great, but the in-game model was incredibly inferior...bright yellow/orangey insides?.....no type of organ texturing at all....
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I suppose these guys don't have to be disguised as monsters because they simply are monsters on their own.<
Why did Abstract Daddy appear the way it did, then?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

I was bothered by the miner being a monster as well. To be honest, I almost find it un-necessary. Eddie in SH2 is a bit different in this case as he was a boss fight and there were at least a very good reason why we needed to fight him. But these miners would've been easily replaced by a different monsters. It's not as if the monsters in SH:H was that "in depth" IMO anyway.

I just finished the game last night, and as a matter of fact, I even screamed out to my ex-bf "OMG, they put human enemy in the game???!!!!" when the miner started attacked me. I wasn't too impress with that.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Fevered Dream wrote:As far as I'm concerned, when you consider the kind of things the miners had been involved with (eg torturing innocent people), then they're just as monstrous as any of the other disfigured abominations you come across in the SH games.
Agreed. At least the monsters are going off on some sort of primal instinct to act out as they do. The Order are quite aware of the pain they inflict. Definitely enjoy it in a sadistic fashion as well.

Which really bothers me since in their religious doctrine, as disgusting as their actions are, it at least sounded like they're trying to HELP people.

They wanted to purify the flesh of sinners. At least that's how it came across to me. It would've been much more interesting and disturbing if they made that evident in their actions.

It would have at least made them seem more uh... human...
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

You know, the more that I think about it... maybe Double Helix Just got too lazy to make up with a proper monster design and coped out with humans.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Or it just made it easier for Alex to wear the Miner costume for sneaking in?
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

Or it' s just a meaningless "homage" (copy/paste) to the movie aesthetic, like the PH ending, the nurses and the Otherworld transition.
Ondine
Just Passing Through

Post by Ondine »

Wait, so does killing human-like characters in video games bother you? Or just in Silent Hill?
"Shut your stinking mouth, bitch!"
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Ondine wrote:Wait, so does killing human-like characters in video games bother you? Or just in Silent Hill?
I would hope it's just in Silent Hill.

I mean, obviously we've killed human characters in the games before, but they were used in impactful ways because 99% of your enemies had been the monstrosities of silent hill, not a person. It was after the fights that the characters would have some kind of reaction that would provide character development, change the player's perspective on things, or further the plot, but in homecoming it becomes too passe for its own good.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>so does killing human-like characters in video games bother you? Or just in Silent Hill?<
In all video games, generally, for me. When I think back on how my hero, Cloud Strife, tore through the Midgar reactor, slaughtering hundreds of people, I wonder how exactly is he a hero.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

He' s no hero, he' s a revolutionary. You won' t fight against money with good feelings alone, throwing Disney movies and candy floss around. Even Reeves, fighting from the inside of the "democratic" beast, is powerless.
How did we bring democracy in the first place ? Oh yeah, that' s right, cutting heads around during the revolution.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Gandhi

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

While I admire him for some of the things he said :
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
I also have trouble with other tings he said :
"Hitler," Gandhi said, "killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher’s knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs... It would have aroused the world and the people of Germany... As it is they succumbed anyway in their millions."
That' s utter rubbish.

Anyway, "Gandhi the video game" would be quite boring, wouldn' t it ?
"Come and kill me if you dare !"
"Er ... OK !"
Bam !
Game over ...

At some point or another you have to resist in some way. Harry Potter would be closer to the way I approach non-violence. As for the miners you' re not exactly fighting humans, you' re fighting the uniform, the mindless killing : it' s kill or be killed, your choice. You can always fight them with the iron pipe and imagine they' re just KO' ed.
Last edited by Patman on 13 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You totally misunderstood what the hell Ghandi was talking about, if you thought that comment was rubbish.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Unfortunately you have to fight violence with violence. It was always like that.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Patman wrote:How did we bring democracy in the first place ? Oh yeah, that' s right, cutting heads around during the revolution.
I seem to recall that particular revolution leading to the furthest thing from democracy. Not that l'empereur wasn't spectacular in his own way, but...

Incidentally, my favorite hypocrisy of AVALANCHE is that they're a bunch of environmentalists killing all of the animals outside of Midgar. That one's pretty rich. :wink:
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It comes with the package of being environmentalist new age hippie douchebags. Killing animals is alright because of the Lifestream, apparently.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>they're a bunch of environmentalists killing all of the animals outside of Midgar. That one's pretty rich.<
You can't be rich without Gil!

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.