Alessa looked pretty generic in this game, don't ya think?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Did Alessa look cheezy in this game?

Yeah, very cheap.
51%
No, she looked the usual.
22%
I really don't care
19%
I honestly didn't notice...
8%

Total votes: 78

Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

I think the fact that they deviated so Far from the original concept of Alessa which is plain as day in Silent Hill (the first one). The outfit and her personality. I mean we see something of a mother controlling her daughter. And now it's this overly powerful being, generating Nightmare worlds and shit. Grant it she did the same thing in one, but that's after how many years? The first game made it seem she was reaching out for help, that she was in torment.... this game she is the tormented and the tormentor.

Honestly I think they borrowed to much from the movie in regards to her appearance and no I'm not talking facially, as Jolie (spelling?) has a much creepier/innocent dark secret thing going on.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Jolie (spelling?)
It's Jodelle

But I know what you mean. She used Travis as the pawn this time instead of Dahlia pawning Harry as in the first game. It does seem like she's ther tormentor. They made her more evil then she really was.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I don't know who's job it was designing her look, but they must of had a team of about fifty people each with their own idea, and none that looks anything like Cheryl from SH1. The Alessa you see in game is good, you kind of want to pick her up and give her a hug. But the one's in the cut scenes look totally different and way too cartoony.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I sort of agree, but then again I disagree. Yes Alessa looked very evil in this game.. but I believe the reason for this. Could be that this game took place right as the burning happened.. and as all the shit first started going down in the town. So naturally I see it as Alessa was very pissed off at that particular time, and thus making her look very evil and out for revenge.

In sh1.. I'm sure that after 7 years of being locked away in a hospital room.. that Alessa become tormented.. I mean that's a long time to lay there with burn wounds and suffering like she was.

So my theory in origins is that Alessa was just very angry, and also if you remember correctly, Alessa had not totally split her soul yet in Origins. So when Travis puts together the Flauros.. it ignites Alessa's power.. and causes the otherworld to overspread the town.

In closing alessa was very angry.. and will still a complete being at the time of Origins. In sh1.. her soul was split.. so therefore it's similar to the Walter sullivan thing from sh4 the room.. where he had two halfs.. one innocent, and one darker side. I believe the same thing happened with Alessa's soul also.. you had one side that was dark, and one side that was innocent.

In Origins the two halfs are still pretty much together. in part one her soul was split.. and tormented all at the same time.

And I do agree that Alessa looked alot like she did in the movie.. however about the school girl uniform.. she was wearing the same thing in sh1.. the tie n' all.. it was just that in part 1.. the graphic's were very different than there were in origins. Also when sh1 was created.. the developers Team silent weren't even Team silent yet.. there were just starting out with this project.. and I believe that over the course of many years.. things do change a bit. And sometimes over the course of many years.. in order to keep something fresh and new to everyone including the fans. Developers are going to play around a bit with concept.. if they didn't.. then you'd have the same ol' boring concept being repeated over and over again.

I happened to like Origins, no it wasn't silent hill 2.. and I know that's why there's so much bashing of this game. Because of all the sh2 fanboys crying and winning about it. But lets face it.. Silent hill has been around for a very long time, and games that have been around as long as silent hill has. Need some changes to them to keep them fresh.. like I said I liked Origins, but it wasn't the best in the series.. but it wasn't the worst either, so stop nit picking at this game sheesh.

Another theory, or way that I look at it. Is that it's kind of like in movies.. where as each sequal progresses.. you have an all new cast in each one.. kinda like the batman movies.. there was always a different character playing batman.. well rather a different actor.. I believe Origins to be doing something similar to this.. they have (To me) A different actor or character model playing Alessa, and Dahlia and Kaufman.. and even Lisa. So to me I do not have a problem with this, because they're all still portraying the same characters, just in a different manner.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Re: Alessa looked pretty generic in this game, don't ya thin

Post by Zeraylph »

I know this is pretty old topic.

But has anyone noticed Alessa blinks like a cat in some cutscenes where Travis gets the flauros after beating every boss?

"ARE you making this happen!?"
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

^That's strange.
I actually kinda thought she was acting rather cat-like throughout the game.

(Like when Travis delivers the 'sick little mind' line, the way she cringed a little)

I don't know if it was by design, but I chocked it up to my imagination.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

^ Yeah! Me too.

when Travis says "Let's see what's in your sick little mind" she cringes like a cat.

I was scared to post this, cause people would think Im crazy.

Glad to know someone else thought about it too. :D
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Almost makes me wonder if one of the graphics designers didn't have a spoiled cat at home ;)

For the sake of impartiality, I have to admit that I relate EVERYTHING to Egypt, cats, sex, or nature. (Or Silent Hill) so I'm not reliable on this subject.

I guess it would've been too hard for her to flutter around like a moth, lolz.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

... Cat like?

Not even in the slightest. 2 yr.s old necro-bump for cat-like cringing? Ok... I guess. I thought she cringed like the abused little girl she is but, eh. What do I know. Cat-cringing=child-cringing.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

errrm... I thought Alessa looked like Lucy from the first Narnia, o.o
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

^ That... is actually kinda true now that I think about it. O.o

Otherwise, I think that she looked different from how she did in SH1, but not in a terrible or great way. I guess I don't really mind much either way.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Yes, very much. I hate how they made her an angry girl who just wants to butt rape people with her monsters.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Honestly, I don't agree with any of these answers: I noticed that she didn't look like usual, but it doesn't mean it's very cheap, and it's not that i don't care.
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

I've got the PSP version, so I don't know how this goes for the PS2 version (although considering that Climax managed to make Lisa look like a man in the video I saw of the ps2 version, I doubt its an improvement) but Alessa seemed to be channeling Samara from The Ring by way of Alma from FEAR in Origins. I wasn't expecting her to be bouncing around the room in unbridled joy considering she'd just been through what we knew was the most traumatic experience in her life, which would shape the events of two other Silent Hill's, but I was not expecting her to be reduced to a stereotypical creepy horror girl who is (apart from a few lines right at the beginning and right at the end) completely silent. Especially near the end when
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
she brings about the Otherworld change in a FMV
and she flicks her eyes upward towards the camera. Or even in the beginning where you can see her astral form in Travis' mirror reaching out for him surrounded by fog. The only time I liked her in Origins was in the
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
good ending where she's seen in a mirror holding a baby and smiling
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

VenusDoom wrote:errrm... I thought Alessa looked like Lucy from the first Narnia, o.o
At first I was thinking, "No she doesn't!" -but then I remembered there are NEW Narnia movies! :lol:

I don't know why I never saw this thread before, when I could have voted, but: I found that Alessa looked rather... annoying in Origins. I don't know how to explain it, but I guess to me, she just looked way too much like a stereotypically creepy little girl. The way she acted most of the time didn't help, either.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^Definitely. She was mean. She didn't talk. Overhead and extreme under-shots in the camera shots did nothing but cast shadows over her face, thus upping the "creepy" factor.

I didn't like 0rigins Alessa overall. She looked different and was built to seem mean, which wasn't what the original or 3rd game had lead up to believe. She was never a mean little girl hellbent on making the town pay before Climax got a hold of her.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re:

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

David01 wrote:I sort of agree, but then again I disagree. Yes Alessa looked very evil in this game.. but I believe the reason for this. Could be that this game took place right as the burning happened.. and as all the shit first started going down in the town. So naturally I see it as Alessa was very pissed off at that particular time, and thus making her look very evil and out for revenge.

In sh1.. I'm sure that after 7 years of being locked away in a hospital room.. that Alessa become tormented.. I mean that's a long time to lay there with burn wounds and suffering like she was.

So my theory in origins is that Alessa was just very angry, and also if you remember correctly, Alessa had not totally split her soul yet in Origins. So when Travis puts together the Flauros.. it ignites Alessa's power.. and causes the otherworld to overspread the town.

In closing alessa was very angry.. and will still a complete being at the time of Origins. In sh1.. her soul was split.. so therefore it's similar to the Walter sullivan thing from sh4 the room.. where he had two halfs.. one innocent, and one darker side. I believe the same thing happened with Alessa's soul also.. you had one side that was dark, and one side that was innocent.

In Origins the two halfs are still pretty much together. in part one her soul was split.. and tormented all at the same time.

And I do agree that Alessa looked alot like she did in the movie.. however about the school girl uniform.. she was wearing the same thing in sh1.. the tie n' all.. it was just that in part 1.. the graphic's were very different than there were in origins. Also when sh1 was created.. the developers Team silent weren't even Team silent yet.. there were just starting out with this project.. and I believe that over the course of many years.. things do change a bit. And sometimes over the course of many years.. in order to keep something fresh and new to everyone including the fans. Developers are going to play around a bit with concept.. if they didn't.. then you'd have the same ol' boring concept being repeated over and over again.

I happened to like Origins, no it wasn't silent hill 2.. and I know that's why there's so much bashing of this game. Because of all the sh2 fanboys crying and winning about it. But lets face it.. Silent hill has been around for a very long time, and games that have been around as long as silent hill has. Need some changes to them to keep them fresh.. like I said I liked Origins, but it wasn't the best in the series.. but it wasn't the worst either, so stop nit picking at this game sheesh.

Another theory, or way that I look at it. Is that it's kind of like in movies.. where as each sequal progresses.. you have an all new cast in each one.. kinda like the batman movies.. there was always a different character playing batman.. well rather a different actor.. I believe Origins to be doing something similar to this.. they have (To me) A different actor or character model playing Alessa, and Dahlia and Kaufman.. and even Lisa. So to me I do not have a problem with this, because they're all still portraying the same characters, just in a different manner.

This all made me think quite a bit, but I have some nitpicks. The thing about the Batman movies is that there are several strings of Batman movies, each with there own canon. You can say that Homecoming has a different canon from the others for not having a number and for being made by a different developer, and that SM had a seperate canon because it was a reimagining, but Origins was a prequel to the first game, and therefore had to stick to the information presented in the first and also perhaps the third games as closely as possible.

Also, I've heard some people say that the people who made the first game are the only true Team Silent because the people changed after that. If the SH1 developers aren't Team Silent, then is there a Team Silent at all?

The idea of light and dark sides to Alessa is interesting, but I see one major flaw. The scene towards the end of Silent Hill 1 between Alessa and her mommy, where you see her as completely innocent with no darkness or hatred, only fear. I believe that Alessa's darkness was only created when Cheryl was removed from her soul, not before. I also don't believe Origins as canon, and think that Alessa's soul was split at the scene of the fire into Alessa and Cheryl, because half of a soul can't die. That's why Alessa survives as a severe burn victim for seven years, because she is not a complete soul, and Cheryl is healthy as a clam at the time. Alessa's anger builds, it began as her act of rebellion at the fire, her decision to disobey her mother and live. Cheryl grew up happy and innocent. In a way, Alessa is the dark side, and Cheryl is the light side, but before Cheryl, Alessa was innocent. That's my opinion. Heather was the only normal, balanced person, containing Alessa and Cheryl in her and able to fully function in normal society.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Harrys_Girl wrote:Alessa is the dark side, and Cheryl is the light side, but before Cheryl, Alessa was innocent.
Agree, but.. I'm not sure to what part of Alessa in Origins are you reffering; 'cause the one we see all the time in the mirrors, and after deafeting bosses, was the dark side of Alessa, while the one Travis saves from the fire is the "real" Alessa, the one that created her + Cheryl.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^What post did you even get that from? I don't even remember saying that. I still believe it, but I think I was referring to SH1, not 0rigins.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Sorry, my bad.