The Bartender

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

The Bartender

Post by simeonalo »

What does she represent in Cheryl's delusion? I was always confused about her, but I think that she is basically the same as Cybil-there to help Harry. However, why wasn't she used later on in the game? To me, I always thought that they didn't have time to insert her like they did with Cybil.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Re: The Bartender

Post by ashatteredmemory »

She could be a simple memory, as Cheryl (you) likes to have a drink in a bar and went to a bar now and then.
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

She's just some NPC Cheryl created to get the plot moving.

"Shit, I didn't make him go into the place the cop is at. Um...I'll just take this memory of a bartender I saw like one time ever and make it fill the same function. Awesome, this is GRADE A writing, Cheryl. You da man."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Er.... you da WOman. :wink:

I think she basically serves the same purpose as Cybil in the beginning, to shake you and provide you w/ information. There doesn't seem to be anything too significant behind her.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

She was formed by all those late nights Cheryl spent staying up watching Cheers reruns on Nick at Nite.
Curse you, George Wendt!

Honestly, I think I only ever visited the bar once or twice in my play throughs, and I don't think I really paid much mind to the bartender. I'm sure it was primarily just a piece for the drunk ending, but I would need to go play/watch it again.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I couldn't seem to get into the bar on any playthroughs past my first.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Generally, you get the bar if you imply that drinking makes you uncomfortable, from what I've found.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

AuraTwilight wrote:Generally, you get the bar if you imply that drinking makes you uncomfortable, from what I've found.
I don't think so. My sister said having a drink helps her relax and so on, as she is rather fond of drinking irl, and she got the bartender. I'll be honest, I've almost never been able to get the bartender, even while spending time on countless combinations of things in that early point in the game. I think I my have gotten it once, but never when I was trying to, and I tried it from several different angles, and even looked online how other people said they got it.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^I kinda of agree. I usually have a 30% chance of getting it, whether I say I like having a drink or not. I usually say "no" and in about 30 playthroughs, I've only gotten it about 10 times. Ish. I personally like it. Less Boob-tastic Cybil busting my metaphorical balls.
SHF

Post by SHF »

ashatteredmemory wrote:She could be a simple memory, as Cheryl (you) likes to have a drink in a bar and went to a bar now and then.
That's correct.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I am apparently the broken player here. I have gotten the bar all 4 times I've played. I didn't even know you could get into the cafe until I read it on the forums. I have changed my answers every single time too. I have legit had NONE of the same answers on two different play throughs, but that combo got me the bar anyway. I mean, the bartender looked different, but that's all. Is this Konami's way of telling me I need AA? lol.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

How much do you drink? lol
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

NeoAquarius12 wrote:I am apparently the broken player here. I have gotten the bar all 4 times I've played. I didn't even know you could get into the cafe until I read it on the forums. I have changed my answers every single time too. I have legit had NONE of the same answers on two different play throughs, but that combo got me the bar anyway. I mean, the bartender looked different, but that's all. Is this Konami's way of telling me I need AA? lol.
Same...here...i've played the game 3 times and on all three i've gotten the bar....i've been trying to figure out how to get into the cafe instead of the bar...
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

Yeah, I've never gotten the bar, on any of my playthroughs. Out of curiosity, If you get the bar instead of the Cafe what is your first meeting with Cybil like?
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Cybil remains with a positive and caring attitude but might change details on informing Harry of what the family in the house does for a living.
SHF

Post by SHF »

clips wrote:
NeoAquarius12 wrote:I am apparently the broken player here. I have gotten the bar all 4 times I've played. I didn't even know you could get into the cafe until I read it on the forums. I have changed my answers every single time too. I have legit had NONE of the same answers on two different play throughs, but that combo got me the bar anyway. I mean, the bartender looked different, but that's all. Is this Konami's way of telling me I need AA? lol.
Same...here...i've played the game 3 times and on all three i've gotten the bar....i've been trying to figure out how to get into the cafe instead of the bar...
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_sh ... nfo_en.htm
there ya go
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

i too almost always get the bartender (i even dislike beer :P) but i don't mind because i like her, she seems very caring, sad we didn't see her again in the game. I think that the game chooses the bartender for you sometimes as it seems a better fit than the cop.

Still, this wouldn't directly take away the possibility she's simply a memory (and as aura said, a placed NPC), as Cheryl probably has visited a bar once in her life
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Does the game sense how much alcohol I have in real life? hahaha.

I am going to do another playthrough and do everything in my power NOT to get the bar. But other than choosing, "I am not much of a drinker" or whatever the option is, I don't know how to convince the game. haha. It's just ridiculous at this point. True I haven't gotten the Drunk Dad ending yet... so that could mess up my chances of getting it.

and thanks for the link helldescent. Let's hope that clears it all up.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Yiyo-chan
Just Passing Through

Post by Yiyo-chan »

Dunno if i already said, that I NEVER got the bar. I'll always end up in the different variations of the Cafe, but never the bar..( and i played the game in all it's platforms ) I only saw the bartender through youtube .. /fail
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

I got the bar on my first playthrough. I remember seeing the diner and thinking "I probably have to go there like in the original SH, so I'll just explore around and see if I can pick up anything useful." So I went in the bar not expecting a cutscene.

The funny thing is I haven't been able to go back into the bar since! And I must've played through the game 10 times.