What scared you about SM?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

paladin181
Subway Guard

Re: What scared you about SM?

Post by paladin181 »

Nothing scared me in the game. I take it back, the first nightmare sequence got my adrenaline up. And the atmosphere was done well. I got lost. The Raw Shocks shook me up... like a jail break blitz in NCAA football 11. I panicked, and I scrambled to escape, and got to the house, then was just saying WTF? That's it? The other chase scenes as much as had BILLBOARDS announcing them, so I was able to get my hands comfortable and blister the Raw shocks for big yardage gain- I mean, blast through the scenes. Having to take pictures got annoying especially with Raw Shocks hanging off your back, but it wasn't scary.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

The game's atmosphere is great, and from the start until a little before the end, it's intense and scary each playthrough (in the nightmare sequences, obviously). Can't lie, though, playing through the first time is amazing, and definitely scary (not as scary as past SH games. This one definitely was different). Firsrt playthrough is excellent, especially if you sheilded yourself from spoilers and most information about the game before playing...

That said, after the first playthrough, its not as good. There's a lot to see you may not have noticed first time around, but you've figured out the game's patterns. It's all still very enjoyable though. Unless you have a photographic memory, however, the nightmare sequences will be just as crazy. You will also know that the game's difficulty goes down toward the end- a lot. And SM is already pretty easy. After the Hospital, or maybe a little after, it just gets TOO easy. And you'll remember the "final boss door" as I call it..lol.

Yeah, so basically, a chunk of the nightmare sequences were the most frightening points of SM. Exploration, echo messages, no. lol
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Her_Topaz_Eyes
Just Passing Through

Post by Her_Topaz_Eyes »

For me, it was a couple things. Quite mainly, the nightmare scenes. The panic rushed through me like crazy. It may be because I let it, but what's to enjoy if I'm not getting a rush, of any kind, out of it? It got to me so bad that I would just hit pause and leave it for a day or two lol

Another part that only scared me once was the first time I saw a larval stalker running across the floor. I could have sworn it was a Raw Shock and I was just like O.O
It can't possibly be true..a dead person can't write a letter...it's illegal.
Maverick
Just Passing Through

Post by Maverick »

I would have to say the couple of parts where the shadow cheryl pops out in front of you. The noise startles me sometimes.
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^She scared me because I was always paranoid that she was leading me into a trap. The first couple times you see her, she triggers the change over into the Otherworld, so I decided that every time she appeared, the Otherworld would be triggered, so If I'd see her, I'd try to run the opposite way.
Pitus
Just Passing Through

Post by Pitus »

the chase scenes and the sound of static everytime you get near a memento.
the labyrinth was scary too,it took me a long time to get through. :P never played it alone, in the dark.
"Good times for a change.. See, the luck I've had can make a good man turn bad.. So please, please, please, let me, let me, let me, let me get what I want this time... *tininininininiwniiiw, tinininiinininiw*"
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

Getting hopelessly lost in the otherworld and running in circles with Raw Shocks attacking me left, right and centre. I've beaten the game four times now and still regularly get lost in the forest and Alchemilla Hospital otherworlds.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

The atmosphere outside of the weak otherworld segments wasn't really scary to me, but it kept a kind of eerie and unsettling atmosphere....the only sections that I thought were mildly disturbing was the movie theatre scene, and while the nowhere otherworld wasn't really scary, i thought that level was the best otherworld section in the game...but overall this game really wasn't scary to me...
dragonflydusk
Just Passing Through

Post by dragonflydusk »

I wasn't scared in the slightest. I blame this on the fact the Raw Shocks looked like gross versions of the Nobodies in Kingdom Hearts 2 and they looked like they were bear-hugging Harry Mason rather than actually attacking him. But then I always suffer from "Running-doesn't-scare-me, it-annoys-the-crap-outta-me-let-me-explore-dangit!" syndrome. The only game that ever scared me with this tactic was Clock Tower 3, and that only lasted for the first 10 minutes of it before it got old and I was simply annoyed by it. I think SM wasn't necessarily a bad game, but I really didn't feel like they actually cared about scaring anybody with it.

Granted, I startle easily at loud noises so every time the shadows took off running down the hall in the school I just about fell out of my chair.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

The only part that really scared me was the car on the bridge/water.

I'm rather afraid of riding in cars, much less so when I'm driving and more in control. Car wrecks, being trapped in a car, and so forth have been some rather big fears of mine for a while, so when I had to escape a sinking car it was rather frightening.
Especially since I couldn't get out!

Needless to say, my palms were rather sweaty afterwards.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

haha. Apparently I have already posted in this thread, but I couldn't find it. It doesn't matter to me. Let me come after this with a fresh mind.

The actual parts that scared me... TWO Raw Shock chases in particular really irked me. The school... which is strange that it is the only place I have never been caught by Raw Shocks... when you have to take the photos. It's one of the most original and appealling parts of the game, especially when you realize at the end what exactly what was going on in those photos. Just knowing I have to multitask in order to avoid getting attacked got my adrenaline racing. The other one that bothered me was the hospital/train yard... I always end up going in circles no matter how many times I check the map because I get so paranoid.

Take that old post. This one is probably 10X more informative than that one. Win for future (present) me. haha
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
TANK
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TANK »

hmmm. scared? i would have to say right after i found the bloody jacket in the woods at the cabin, then boom, otherworld. i was expecting to be bombarded instantly, but the game let me get just comfortable enough, then as i was running through a door, a raw shock came through right as i was going to go through.. i was like holy shi*, i need a clean pair of shorts!
It's a world of someone's nightmarish dillusions come to life.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

The game didn't scare me at all. I felt a little uneasy for the first hour or so until I realized that there weren't any monsters outside of the icy world.

However, a different kind of unease settled in as the plot started to progress. The way the game toyed with my expectations and memories of the first game was brilliant. The game revels in teasing you with familiar characters and places only to surprise you by twisting them into something unexpected. By making the familiar unfamiliar, the game creates a powerful feeling of uncertainty the ties everything together perfectly.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

Nothing really scared me, although the scream of the Raw shocks did in fact make me (and Harry) move much quicker. I was a little creeped out by the scene in the theatre. But when I decided to stare down the screen and enter into a staring contest while moving closer... I won.
*Insert Legendary signature here*
HenryTownshend
Just Passing Through

Post by HenryTownshend »

The sinking car part when your with dahlia. The thing that made that part so scary would definitely be the fact that it is in a first person view and of course when the Raw Shock appears in the scene.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

This was my favorite SH game.

But IMO the SH series was never REALLY! scary just mostly Erie and disturbing and I did get scared at the chase scenes especially when you don't even know where you are going. I am on my 16 play through now checking in random answers because I have had every ending but the Drunk Dad or "Bad Dad" ending. What kept me coming to the game is how Erie it is but yeah I guess the only thing to scare you are the chase scenes (Does anybody else freak out with the picture mission?)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
AdjectiveRyan
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

without reading any of the previous pages, l will make the following joke..eh hem..the thing that scared me most about this title was after finishing the game, l looked at the cover art to discover that it was called silent hill! pee-yew! this title stunk! more like sharted mamories. l'd rather see pooping boobs. reee-urrr!
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

AdjectiveRyan wrote:without reading any of the previous pages, l will make the following joke..eh hem..the thing that scared me most about this title was after finishing the game, l looked at the cover art to discover that it was called silent hill! pee-yew! this title stunk! more like sharted mamories. l'd rather see pooping boobs. reee-urrr!
This is just your opinion it is my favorite out of the series.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
Yokraz-on-dA
Just Passing Through

Post by Yokraz-on-dA »

Well as I have Gurgephobia, the part of the abyss, before getting to Cheryl's room, scared the shit outta me! Apart from that, the Larval Stalkers, on my first playthrough, made me jump off my seat. Plus, hiding made me EXTREMELY nervous.
This Game ROCKS MY SOCKS.
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

What scared me? The sheer mindfuckery of the plot, and the overall feel of being trapped inside a nightmare, where everything is totally...beyond your control, I guess. SH1 had that as well, you never knew if you were awake or dreaming, what was real or not. SM was emotionally exhausting, and freaked me out pretty badly.

The car sinking into the water was pretty claustrophobia-triggering, too--and the idea of just...giving into death like that. Pretty powerful stuff, maybe not so much scary as disturbing.

The only other thing that actually scared me was the way that the raw shocks changed and grew deformed as the game went on. I had a lot of those 'am I just imagining this? did it always look that way?' moments.

Also:
AuraTwilight wrote:No one ever noticed or complained because they were too mesmerized by his epic groin, obviously. The man is pure suave.
^^^^^ this.