What would've happened to Angela if

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I've always assumed that Angela's father and mother blamed her for her brother's death (XD massive guessing, no evidence at all) and her father abused her and raped her because of this. When her mother found at she was disgusted with the both of them, and moved away. This pushed Angela's dad to drink more and rape more, leading Angela to break down and kill her father.

She heads to Silent Hill to find her mother (and perhaps, prune the family tree) and finds herself trapped in her house (or what appears to be her house), and, as someone said before, finds herself caught in a loop of killing her father over and over again.

James entering the white door signifies crossing over into Angela's world, yada yada.

James breaks the loop by taking the knife, and subsequently killing her father for her. This leads to some kind of epitome, and later she kills herself by heading into the upper levels of the house and being engulfed in the flames of her own personal hell.

The fire in the house can either be considered as flames from her belief of hell, or perhaps it alludes to how her brother died, maybe in a fire that destroyed the house she now walks through? The fire that led the family to abuse from the father and his alcoholism? The beginning of the trouble for Angela?

Who knows. I'm probably wrong, but I like the idea of it. xD

EDIT- Wowww, got off track there. I think she probably would've died. I mean, it's not actually her father, it's a monster.

And don't give me the "But Maria is a conjur...ation, and she's not killing James!" shit either (XD) because it's a little bit different.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I think that one way or the other, Angela would have met the fate that she did. Right or wrong, she was locked on course. That's why I call In Water the Path of Angela: it's the path that she is going to follow, unless something deprives her of her free will (like if James had knocked her out cold before she could go up the steps). It's like Leave is the Path of Laura: whatever happens to James, Laura will inevitably find out that Mary's dead and then leave Silent Hill to move on with her life.

Angela's fate is perhaps the most tragic of all, in my opinion: James was guilty of murder (with extenuating circumstances) and Eddie was guilty of aggravated assault and cruielty to animals. Angela's actions, given that her father meant her harm and that she was unable to flee, were a clear cut case of self-defense.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Re: What would've happened to Angela if

Post by simeonalo »

Sorry for the bump.

I feel that if Angela were to be left there, she would have stabbed the abstract daddy like beforehand (or killed him in same way). Of course, this seems very much like a reenactment like how James experiences how Mary dies, so I guess it's up to interpretation :?
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I purposefully searched for Angela and Laura threads at one point and didn't see this one.
You have succeeded in making me feel very unobservant. :(

But, while I'm in here....
I think she would've died from hunger or starvation, personally.
I don't think she wanted to overcome anything. Her personality was just so.....scattered and confused. I would like to think that she had a chance at redemption like James, but Idk.

THIRST....Hunger or thirst is what I meant to say right there....
Last edited by SilentWren on 18 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

SilentWren wrote: I think she would've died from hunger or starvation, personally.
I don't think she would've given up. Eventually I think she would've snapped and attacked the Abstract Daddy, like she did with her father. Like Simeonalo said, it was like a re-enactment, so I would expect her to (eventually) react the same way she did before. Hmm, makes me think...if James hadn't taken her knife earlier on, would she have used that instead of the tv?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm not sure people can starve in the Otherworld.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

But, like, the otherworld doesn't sustain people indefinatley, does it?
You're still a living, breathing person who has to sleep and eat. We just don't see it in the games because that would make it too much like The Sims.

Also. see my above annotation *facepalms*
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

SilentWren wrote:But, like, the otherworld doesn't sustain people indefinatley, does it?
You're still a living, breathing person who has to sleep and eat. We just don't see it in the games because that would make it too much like The Sims.

Also. see my above annotation *facepalms*
Hey.

Health drinks.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Also, time doesn't exist in the Otherworld, and it's a place of thought, not matter. Even if you take your body with you, the laws of physics are different. Unless it's important for you to feel hunger or whatever, you don't need it. Notice how no one ever really feels hungry, sleepy, or need to go the bathroom?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Yeah, that's because it's a game and people sleeping and urinating isn't very cinematic. It's easy to just sweep under the rug and ignore it.
You're getting hit and cut through most of the games, and the protagonist is never bleeding or bruised, are they? Sometimes, you just gotta ignore certain things so the game doesn't turn into a bunch of meaningless details that nobody will ever care about anyhow.

And what sim said about the health drinks-that's consuming something. It's in there because it works with the game mechanic of needing to heal. Other bodily functions don't work with the game mechanics, so they aren't there.

I know the 4th game is mostly thought (examples: Henry keeps waking up in his bed, you're told to go to the "deepest part" of Walter, etc.) but the victims still died while they were in Walterworld. Ceasing to live is pretty anchored in the 'matter' arena as far as I'm concerned.

It makes more sense to me that the otherworld would be a dimension slightly off frequency than the physical world, as opposed to a completely self-contained alternate reality. If it were completely self-contained, changes in the town would be irrelevant to the game maps.

PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

I think Angela would kill the monster herself with the TV. James' intervention was basically doing the job for her.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

And leaves her without closure—something detrimental to Silent Hill's visitors.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Yeah, one of the things about Angela is that she refuses to confront her own guilt. James takes the route she should have taken, as he is willing to acknowledge his problems and overcome them. Defeating abstract daddy for her is an example of James' growing courage and Angela's continuing failure to acknowledge that she too must come to terms with her problems. Though with this analysis, I seem to have contradicted my inference that she would have used the TV to attack abstract daddy.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
thebandz
Just Passing Through

Post by thebandz »

Remember near the end of the game Angela thought James was her mother, so I don't think the memory of what her parents look like is so good :P besides, how would you do the dirty to that thing? *shiver shiver*
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yeah, that's because it's a game and people sleeping and urinating isn't very cinematic. It's easy to just sweep under the rug and ignore it.
You're getting hit and cut through most of the games, and the protagonist is never bleeding or bruised, are they? Sometimes, you just gotta ignore certain things so the game doesn't turn into a bunch of meaningless details that nobody will ever care about anyhow.
It's touched up on even in the plot, though. It's not just some game mechanic. Heather even speculates that eating or drinking anything might prevent her from going home, like in mythology.

I know the 4th game is mostly thought (examples: Henry keeps waking up in his bed, you're told to go to the "deepest part" of Walter, etc.) but the victims still died while they were in Walterworld. Ceasing to live is pretty anchored in the 'matter' arena as far as I'm concerned.
Well, in SH4, people's bodies are sleeping in the real world, and then their bodies die Freddy Kruger style. As for the other games, dying in a world not made of matter isn't a big deal (again, mythology). All it means is that you are no longer alive, and can no longer go home.
It makes more sense to me that the otherworld would be a dimension slightly off frequency than the physical world, as opposed to a completely self-contained alternate reality. If it were completely self-contained, changes in the town would be irrelevant to the game maps.
I'm not sure what the meaningful difference is. The Otherworld is a plane of existence based on Silent Hill that takes shape according to the visitor's mind. For all we know, the place looks different each time because the last person to visit read a map before they stepped in or something.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Yay. Persephone reference.
(Another yay--I spelled that right the first time.)

Ok, about the otherworld thing--it's like the otherworld is largely influenced by Alessa's nightmares even in games where it doesn't make sense. That's why I think it's still very much anchored in the actual town instead of solely being a creation of the visitor.

Like 2--James doesn't have any reason to give a flying fuck about the cult at all. He could've seen JC's statue in the park while he and Mary were on vacation, yeah. But he wouldn't have gone around researching what happened--it just would've been "Oh, fuck. Some witch died close to here a long ass time ago. That blows. So....you wanna go feed the pigeons now?"

It kinda seems like we're saying the same things just with different words. Meh. And I'm becoming increasingly sucky at wording my thoughts lately. :(

Don, Aman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Don, Aman »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:Hmm, makes me think...if James hadn't taken her knife earlier on, would she have used that instead of the tv?
You know, after thinking about it a bit, Angela may have had the intention of using the knife as self-defense initially. But after finding herself trapped in what we can only assume looked like her house, she was obviously going to use it to off herself. To me, this implies that if James had not interfered at all, she would have killed herself in that room with Abstract Daddy. Since she had nothing to do it with at this point, all she could do was huddle in the corner and wait to die. Now, I don't think Abstract Daddy would have actually killed her because she was there to learn a lesson (in a twisted Silent Hill way). However, when James interfered and took down her "father", she was free to go ape-shit with the TV.
Don stepped outside... It feels good to be alone... He wished he was drunk...
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

After reading so many responses, i'm not sure what Angela would've done. Before james comes in the room all you heard was screaming i think and when you finally enter the room i think angela was just huttled in the corner, so it's hard to say if she would defended herself or if she would've let that thing molest her.

Since james took the knife earlier, it was kinda implied that she was going to commit suicide if james didn't take it, but i think it was also to shed some light on the history between her and her father in how she stabbed him in the neck. Ultimately i don't think that monster would've killed her since she was already stuck in an endless loop of suffering before james even arrived.

James played a role in her journey but ultimately it was up to her in how her journey would end,...and according to the firey straircase that she was on towards the of the game, it seemed like she was going to be stuck in that endless loop forever.
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

I see many people talking about how Angela is already caught in an endless loop of killing her father again and again and James comes as a savior to her.
I think that if James didn't arrive at the room, she would just be molested once agan by "daddy", because deep inside she feels she deserved all the horrible things that happened to her, hence her ascent to the burning staircase.
I do not believe she had already killed Abstract Daddy and had entered some kind of circle of repeated torture, because she probably killed her dad several hours prior to the events of the game (the blood on her knife and James' statement that the bloodied newspaper has got "today's date" on it) and had just arrived upon the town of Silent Hill.
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I wouldn't say she had JUST arrived. She's clearly been there long enough that she already knows that weird shit is going on. She might already be in her Abyss by the second time James meets her.