Silent Hill 2 too easy?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Miette
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hill 2 too easy?

Post by Miette »

I think it's way easier than most of the other games. I had so much ammo and healing items at the end of the game that it actually made me laugh. Although, I seemed to take random damage. Like, my health would be all the way up, then the next time I look at my health, it's dipping into the red, even though I hadn't fought anything.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
MartinStatic
Just Passing Through

Post by MartinStatic »

Not too easy, no. That's the point of difficulty options I guess, to stop things like this from ever being asked :P
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

replaying Silent Hill 2 on normal, I've noticed that it's pretty easy as well, they give you way more ammo than you need, so you can just shoot every enemy without getting close to it

I tried playing it on hard, but I found it a little TOO hard for my tastes, at least without the chainsaw

the Goldilocks in me can't help but wish there was a "just right" difficulty where it's not super hard, but you're not given too much ammo either

but the thing is is that Silent Hill 1-4 are more about creepy as hell atmosphere and exploration than combat, no matter what difficulty the enemies are always creepy as hell and the atmosphere is scary as hell no matter what difficulty

I find it ironic that Homecoming tried to "fix" the combat while ignoring the atmosphere and only making the combat even more frustrating than it needs to be (and the aiming sucks balls)
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

I don't think so. It didn't even seem that way for me when I first beat the game on Easy.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Easy? Nah. I mean, the enemies themselves aren't that tough I guess. But the bosses in this one are significantly harder than in the first and third. I think I am referring solely to that first PH fight. I cant tell you how frustrating that way first time through... wasting all of my ammo for no reason. Garbage! haha
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Yeah, I think SH2's bosses were harder than the first game and it's regular enemies were much easier.

SH3's regualr enemies and bosses were both harder than both of the first two games though.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Silent Hill 2 is the only SH game where you get over 10 ampoules... And you never use them (On Normal); anyway SH2 in hard is a nightmare, especially the hospital rooms (The nurses are really strong) and the last 2 bosses...
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:Yeah, I think SH2's bosses were harder than the first game and it's regular enemies were much easier.

SH3's regualr enemies and bosses were both harder than both of the first two games though.
True to that.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Actually, yes, I change my opinion here. lol. SH3's bosses were a harder. I even made a point about that in a different topic somewhere. Except the Missionary, that was an easy battle. No reason to even get touched.

I suppose the only actually difficult bosses in 2 were PH first fight and the double PH fight because of the amount of stress you have knowing that if you make a single mistake, it's game over for James.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Xev
Historical Society Historian

Post by Xev »

The gap between normal and hard mode in SH2 to me is steep. Try that and tell us what you think, you may enjoy that better. 3 was harder still.

It is about the atmosphere though and I prefer to kill things then have some downtime to run around and check shit out.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Silent Hill 2 is the only SH game where you get over 10 ampoules... And you never use them (On Normal)
That's true.
SH3's bosses were a harder.
Wha? Leonard was a piece o' cake. Just grab the shotgun and he's done.
Xev

Post by Xev »

^Yes for me he was very simple as well but Ive never been that far on hard mode just norm & easy. Fuck extra hard, I would be annihilated.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Leonard was more irritating than hard. But the final boss was MUCH harder. You had to figure out an attack pattern, and then find out a walking pattern.

Eh, and the Memory of Alessa wasn't too hard either, but that was irritatingly scary. You had no idea where the little ***** was at any time!
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I found the Split Worm and Leonard both really easy. (I think they had the Split Worm appear too early in the game to make it difficult, and I could just alwasy avoid Leonard's attacks, even on Hard). I found the Missionary, Memory of Alessa, and God medium-hard.

For the most part, I don't think SH2 on Hard is really much harder than Normal, except for the last two bosses, which are made MUCH harder.

I found Hard mode in SH3 pretty difficult, but after that I unlocked the health bar, which made it so that Exteme mode wasn't really any harder than Hard, because I was constantly keeping an eye on my health.

SH1 on Hard is hard during the school, and the Lizard and Cybil boss fights. Otherwise, not that much different, the hospital is pretty much identical to Normal.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Oh yeah, the hardest parts of SH1 were definitely the school and the.... sewers? I think it was a sewer path that the lizard men attack... that was annoying. I remember being so low on health and having to jog through and avoid getting hit. It REALLY is a good thing I didn't have to fight Cybil. I was not prepared for another boss fight. haha
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I wouldn't say Silent Hill 2 is too easy. I find it easier than the other games, since even on normal the monsters will for the most part, just stand there and let you bash their heads in. However, I still have trouble surviving the first PH fight on normal mode. I'll think I'm safe or far enough away, when suddenly I'm dead. On hard mode don't you have to evade him for somewhere around 5 minutes? I'm not going to lie, that first PH fight is what's preventing me from playing this game on hard. I know I wouldn't be able to avoid him for 5 minutes.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

I guess it was "easy", especially compared to homecoming (which i hated) but then again SH2 wasn't really about combat. Some of the puzzles on a harder setting were tricky.

I've never played it on "hard" but that's because i didn't really play it for the combat side of things. SH2 was all about the atmosphere, puzzles and story, for me.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Admit it; the only time you died in SH2 is when you pick the Great Knife and go to take revenge on Pymie...

I currently have a savefile just before the fight against Marya in Hard mode, I just have 3 ampoules and the damn thing killed me like 5 times in a row,,, Then I got mad and just turned off my PS2,,,
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I found the first PH fight very difficult my first time through (I was used to SH1 where you could stand still and shoot most of the bosses), but now that I've played the game like fifteen times that fight doesn't really seem difficult at all. Stand, shoot, run to other side of room, reload, repeat until he leaves. Actually, these days Eddie is oftentimes the one I have the most trouble with, although one time I was able to just rack him with like 30 handgun bullets without him shooting me.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I believe my first time (and sadly my only time) was played on Beginner because for some reason I must have died too often on easy. And on beginner, from what I can recall, it is impossible to be killed by non-boss enemies. This was of course back when I was much younger and an uber noobcake when it came to games, so it's probably not as hard as I remember.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.