Is this game worth it?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Is this game worth it?

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

I was thinking of getting this for the PSP, but I heard its really bad and completely different than any other Silent Hill. What do you guys think?
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Re: Is this game worth it?

Post by SilentWren »

Hello, and welcome!!

To answer your question, I'd have to say it depends on why you like the other Silent Hills.

The events of Shattered Memories parallel the first game in strictly symbolic ways. (Yes, it is very, very different.) It's not really a "bad" game per se, it just wasn't what a lot of people were expecting.
As far as I'm concerned, the way they designed the flashlight beam and the UFO ending were worth the price and time. :D

SM was one of my personal least favorites, though. I'm a sucker for occult references, and this game had none.
The game did a better job of establishing a disturbing atmosphere than most of the haters give it credit for, though.
It doesn't tie into the other games, but it's ok on it's own.

It's not a very difficult game, but if you want to get all the endings, it's a bit of a research project. I hope this helps you out a little!
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I say it's worth it, too. I enjoyed it so much because it was outside of the box compared to the others... I like the other titles but this one was a nice change of pace. And I love how in this game, your actions affect the outcome so much more than before :)

I hope this helps you :D
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Worth it. I have the PSP version, though I warn you some textures are missing compared to the PS2 and Wii versions, so that can get a little annoying when navigating the environments. Still, worth it if you want a thought-provoking and atmospheric survival horror. Just don't expect it to be the traditional Silent Hill game, because it takes the gameplay into new directions.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
Lahkesis
Just Passing Through

Post by Lahkesis »

I think so. It's really interesting. Worth playing more than once.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I really disliked the beginning. It is a little hard to control Harry until you're used to it. Of course, that goes for the Wii version only. But, once you get into it, you can be super smooth and figure it out.

There are many multi-paths you can follow. The first decision you make is whther to go through a dress shop or an electronics store, and YES< it effects your ending slightly, haha. Or at least has a chance to. The psychological tests are just fantastic. Some are thought provoking, and some are just fun to do... COLORing anyone?

The story is top notch, for what you get of it. There isn't an overly long story, but it's a fantastic one to tell. It's confusing as heck the first time through, but once you know the ending, it all comes together and on each subsequent playthrough (and you WILL play it more than once), you learn something new or see something differently than you did the first time through.

The only issue is that it is SO different from the other games. I mean, you're Henry the writer now... not Henry the Uber concerned Dad. although he is pretty concerned here too. lol.

It's a worthwhile investment. Not HAVE to play.... but at the level i think, SHOULD play, which is a HAVE to play rating if you're an SH fan.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

Thanks for all the replies guys I think I'll buy it for Christmas or something.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

It's not a problem. But yeah, if you enjoy it, or end up hating it, come back and tell us why. I like to hear different opinions on things. Nice avatar by the way.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I'd strongly recommend renting it first, personally. For me, the game was a huge dissapointment and I really wish I had tried it before I bought it. A lot of people find the nightmare sections frustrating and not scary in the least. The exploration scenes are also fairly dull as you can't die and there is little to do but solve puzzles, most of which are too simple. It's also a pretty easy game to blow through which makes it a good candidate for a rental.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's my absolute favorite Silent Hill, and I've played them all.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

^ YES.
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

Does Harry ask people if they have seen a little girl? Short dark hair?
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I'm kinda on the fence with this game...it does some things good and others..not so good....i thought the exploration sections of the game were done well, even tho there was nothing going on...and the music that accompanies those sections (even tho it was a looping soundtrack)....conveys a sense of dread and sadness....i thought those sections captured Harry's sense of desperation in trying to find his daughter.

The otherworld,...like others have mentioned are just a means to an end and are uninspired...there was only one particular otherworld section that i liked that was seen late in the game that i thought was done well....but i say get this game...especially if you're a fan of the series...you'll either love it or hate it....it does some things completely different outside of the normal realm of SH, but in a sense, that's a good thing....my main issue with this game was the otherworld section, which in a SH game is huge...
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I'm probably gonna wait a while until I play this one, until I have a good oppertunity or am in the right mood. That's what I did with Homecoming, and I found that it didn't really deserve anything more.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

Well, good luck and have fun with it to those that haven't played it yet :)
Zaneゼイン
Just Passing Through

Post by Zaneゼイン »

Hey everyone, I completed recently Sh 2 and 3 and I should be playing Homecoming soon...

I will have the oppurtunity to go to a game store soon and I know that SH SM is there. My question is if I should buy it, the game looks interesting but I´ve read that the game unlike the others was really boring for a replay, that it was just a 1 time clear game. Do you agree with this?

Also, is this game like Amnesia the Dark Descent?

There might be there Origins too, which one do you think to be better... From what I´ve seen of Origins I´m a bit disappointed but I can´t really say until I play the game.

What do you recommend?
芸術家ー「闇心空中夢霊」
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

The replay quality of this game is about the same as the others in my opinion. Although, some endings are harder to get just because it's so event sensitive. If you like to see all the endings, definitely play the game multiple times.
And about Origins, I thought SM was better than Origins. Origins was a bit more aggravating and tedious for me. But everyone's got their own opinion :)
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Origins is better only because it is less annoying to play through, but it's not a great game either. I seriously recommend you rent these games, or buy them cheap. SM does have decent replay value, but if you were as frustrated by the game as I was, you may not want to play it again. It's also extremely short.

Amnesia the Dark Descent is a much better game, from what I've seen. SM doesn't have decent stealth options, so you have to run through nightmare sections at top speed. They are basically trial and error, if you go the wrong way you'll die, so you just keep dying until you find the exit. Other than nightmare scenes there are no monsters. This game has very little suspense.
Zaneゼイン
Just Passing Through

Post by Zaneゼイン »

Tillerman wrote:Origins is better only because it is less annoying to play through, but it's not a great game either. I seriously recommend you rent these games, or buy them cheap. SM does have decent replay value, but if you were as frustrated by the game as I was, you may not want to play it again. It's also extremely short.

Amnesia the Dark Descent is a much better game, from what I've seen. SM doesn't have decent stealth options, so you have to run through nightmare sections at top speed. They are basically trial and error, if you go the wrong way you'll die, so you just keep dying until you find the exit. Other than nightmare scenes there are no monsters. This game has very little suspense.
Well the little money that I have to spend on stuff is just as much as I have for SM, 20$

I think I´ll buy it anyway, I want to play all of the games from SH. I´ll buy this one first, from what I´ve seen I will hate the main character from Origins.
芸術家ー「闇心空中夢霊」
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

Definately play it. I thought I wouldn't like it but it was one of my favorite games in the series.