The decor of SHH

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Do you believe that there's a lack of originality in the SHH Otherworld?

1) YES
46%
2) NO
54%

Total votes: 26

mikefile
Gravedigger

The decor of SHH

Post by mikefile »

In SHH I never completely understood the concept of the Otherworld.. I refer myself to the "decor"... The thing is, it's very similiar to the one of SH1,SH3 and SHO. + these were all connected to Alessa, and in fact it was her world. But I don't know if it's just coincidence that it's similiar (because it fits the theme) or it really had some influence. However, it is a bit different.. It' rusty, bloody but then again it contains lots of machineries (wheels, mechanisms, fans, operational stuff... etc) that separates it from the others.
Last edited by mikefile on 18 Mar 2011, edited 1 time in total.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: The decor of SHH

Post by clips »

I would have to believe that it deals with alex's theme of when he was in the war....the red scenery probably was a bit of fan service (since alot of folks at the time wanted to see the return of the rust and blood) but it fit the scenario for alex's mental condition since war deals with themes of reds and oranges concerning explosions and such......the smog creature is one example of one of the horrors alex experienced on the battlefield.
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with Ross & Fungo about the color palette--Why the fuck was everything gray and orange?!?!

But about the machinery in the environment, I assumed they were trying to make it look like the first movie, actually.

If we're to assume he experienced electroshock in the hospital (anyone have any thoughts on that, btw?) then perhaps he came to hate machinery subconsciously or something like that. All though, nobody really uses that technique anymore, so.....I'm stumped.

Does anything in Homecoming actually have any symbolism behind it?
It's all just *gasp* *shock* *gore*
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's pretty much just "Shock, it's sort of like hell like in the first game that's how Silent Hill works right lol goreshockgore"
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Why the fuck was everything gray and orange?!?!<
Silent Hill 2's [otherside] was predominantly gray with orange/red.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I know you're unaware of this because you didn't watch their documentary, but you actually just agreed with them on their other point of everything blatantly copying SH2.

On top of that, I actually don't remember that much orange in 2. The T.V. I was playing it on the first time sucked, so that might have something to do with it.

Honestly? While I'm in this thread, I just wanna say that Homecoming kinda pissed me off.
Yep, I said it.
Um...typed it.

I saw a thing about the Siams=Elle & Alex's unrequited love, and I thought
"Damn! Maybe this one's gonna be deep"
And then, no.

As much as I liked the cult being involved (they're my Silent Hill kryptonite) I just really can't defend this game anymore.

Like the smogs--WTF?
The diary-if you want it to accompany the game, just PUT IT IN THE MOTHER FUCKING GAME.
The bosses had symbolism, if you believe the children thing.
But just....most of this game was a giant wtf moment for me.

To the original poster:
You didn't understand it because there wasn't anything deep there. It's not you're fault. It's that douchebag's.
Well, that was a little harsh, but I just didn't fucking get it, srsly.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Shush, shush, SilentWren.. c'mon it wasn't that bad..? I didn't start the topic to stimulate anger of Homecoming, I just wanted to figure out. And I believed, hell, I still believe there should be an explanation that we don't see, better than.. DoubleHelix screwed up!

But, regardless the Otherworld.. Homecoming was no less better than the others.. I found it amazing.. plot, symbolics (even of monsters like SIAMS and SMOGS..).. it had a change of style.. but still good.. The only think that I don't like is the Hollywood atmosphere.. and I blame the movie for it! If it wasn't for the movie, there wouldn't be the adaptation of its features..
The Adversary wrote:>Why the fuck was everything gray and orange?!?!<
In SH2 mostly dominates the psyche of one character James (mouldy and grey world), and even when it didn't we had Angela's burning world and Eddie's freezer. In Homecoming we have the psyche of lots of people: Alex, Lilian, Adam, Bartlett, Fitch....etc.. and it's really all just rusty and orange with machineries.. (the Otherworld).
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Homecoming is what happens when you try to listen to fans of SH2....everybody wanted an experience that would rival the great "SH2".....the whole game was fan-service to folks who adored SH2....similar storyline?..*check*....PH?....*check*.....main character with forgetful memories?...*check*...Cliche`.....scary creepy kid?...*check*.

I can't really blame double helix for what they were trying to do,...because honestly at the time, all i was hearing from the SH fanbase was that they wanted an experience like SH2 and that they wanted PH to be in it....i was against both factions...i just wanted an original experience with new characters and storylines...what we got wasn't that bad, but the mechanics, certain level designs, just made the game feel like a shallow shell of it's former self...when you finally get to SH, it didn't look or feel like the town we knew at all....

The game had it's moments tho.... i thought the otherworld house level and the helldescent levels were done well...it wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't a really good SH game...
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

SilentWren wrote:If we're to assume he experienced electroshock in the hospital (anyone have any thoughts on that, btw?) then perhaps he came to hate machinery subconsciously or something like that. All though, nobody really uses that technique anymore, so.....I'm stumped.
They still use that technique pretty often. And it's considered very safe, although it's hated by anyone who's ever seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. So that's a possibility... I guess. Kinda bleh.

You know, I like to think that Alex was locked in a furnace as a child. Pretty much explains it all away. I have no evidence for this assumption but screw you the only evidence I need is my gut.

And let's not let this thread devolve into a general "Homecoming sucked" thread. Let's keep it within the confines of "Homecoming's decor sucked". Srsly guyz omg.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I'm starting to wonder if many of you really played the same game as I did.
I will not be the defender of homecoming, but I certainly don't hate it. It did a lot of things wrong, but there are a few things I really enjoyed about it.

Spoilers follow, some marked, some not marked because they're not so bad. I think...

If you would all be so kind as to indulge me for a moment-
I would say the color palette is what it is for two reasons. First, it's a silent hill game, so by default we are going with the tried and true rust colors. Secondly, the game isn't related to Alessa, but it is related to the "cult" which is present in those games. Whether that constitutes using a similar otherworld appearance or not, I don't know. I'm just trying to make some connections.

In regards to the environments, I feel it has to do with the theme of traditions and how they affect those under them. With all the machinery in this otherworld, I suspect it is hinting toward the rigidity and constricting nature of the traditions Sheperd's Glen follows from the days of when they broke away from the "cult." A machine is oppressive, very non-human, and performs an operation without question (duh). The town people have been following this way of life for 200 years now, but they never stop to find a way out. They just did as they were told.

However!
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
If we are to look at the game from the standpoint of everything being created around Alex we are doing it wrong. The bosses and "bogeyman" are not after Alex, they are after the parents. Does this mean Alex is exempt from all of the otherworld's creations? No, but it means that many of the enemies and ways in which the environment have been produced are a result of their collective presences, not just one person.

Now, to get on a tangent...
SilentWren wrote:The bosses had symbolism, if you believe the children thing.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I don't know how you could not see the bosses being the children. I mean, it's very obvious, and all of them are related to the kids and/or their death.
The smogs? I would say to look back at what I said in regards to tradition and how it is constricting, maybe even suffocating.
Are you talking about the diaries on the website? I don't think that's really anything to get so upset about. It didn't really add enough to the experience to warrant being in the game, so I view it purely as a "you're a fan, here's something to make the trip to our website every few days."

I'm sure some of the way the game was created visually was just because of what the other games had done, but I think it would be wrong to assume the developers didn't stop to consider at least some of their choices.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

There is some truth about what you're saying.. The game contains mistakes, but is still perfect (at least to me).

And now.. the Otherworld colour that has been bothering us all for so long. It is a bit different from the Alessa-related-games.. it is more orange and yellow.. with rust of course.. The 1,3 and O have a bloodier.. darker.. and more opressive style.. But what I'm trying to say is that in Homecoming.. is ironically a bit more alive.. maybe because of the machinery.. and I like your explanation about it- inhabitants performing rites over and over.. like machines.. And.. the first time I played the game I thought (and expected) that every parent has its otherworld.. but they don't .. it's all rusty, yellow, orange, blue, purple, or whatever.. I'm implying.. a lack of originality, maybe. ?

I hoped there would be a presence of different worlds.. according to every parents' psyche.. and happenings- like the bosses (each of them was unique)..
I also thought there would be a schematic trend (1. graveyard --> Joey --->burried--->watch; 2. University of medicine ---> Scarlet---> cut--->dollie; 3. Prison.. etc..) that would follow the worlds.. for ex. in the hotel the worlds starts just before the boss fight; with Fitch it begins as you enter the University..

Regardless all these observations.. I think there was tiny bit of the parents' otherworld that would define their psyche: in the Grand Hotel the rooms are all sandy.. and with bugs (even if bugs are everywhere) that implyes Joey's death_ being burried alive; also Scarlet's room situated in the University --> Fitches' wish to frequent his daughter more often. But that's all in the foggy world.. And I also noticed.. that in the University's otherworld there are some hanging plastic bags with bodies in it.. firstly.. I thought that it was Fitches' regret for the patients he killed during his carrier or people killed by Alex or being killed while Alex was in the war .. but then in the Underground, I saw the same bags with bodies in one of the rooms.. so maybe it was his impression when he saw it.. because.. it couldn't be Alex's manifestation because he never saw those bags in his life, right?

The truth is- there are too many points of view we can observe.. it could be just: decor- lack of originality; but it also couldn't.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Well, I bet it was more to do with finances and time. Konami probably wanted a product done within a reasonable time, so they don't have quite the luxury to be making all these different resources, models, and the like. More than likely, it was a matter of cutting corners to get the game out for a certain budget.

That's the unfortunate nature of these things. : \
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

SHH otherworld has roots growing in it, in some parts.
I guess, symbolizing the 'family tree' throughout the game
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>you actually just agreed with them on their other point of everything blatantly copying SH2.<
I'm not necessarily saying the developers grossly attempted to copy everything from Silent Hill 2. My point was it's not the first time the color scheme was used. After all—red is predominant in all of the games, save for Silent Hill 4: The Room (although the [otherside] apartments is still almost entirely red). If anything, Silent Hill 2 is the least like Silent Hill: Homecoming aesthetically.

>In SH2 mostly dominates the psyche of one character James (mouldy and grey world) [. . .]
How does that pertain to anything I wrote?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Typographenia wrote: With all the machinery in this otherworld, I suspect it is hinting toward the rigidity and constricting nature of the traditions Sheperd's Glen follows from the days of when they broke away from the "cult." A machine is oppressive, very non-human, and performs an operation without question (duh). The town people have been following this way of life for 200 years now, but they never stop to find a way out. They just did as they were told.
That's the part that didn't make any sense to me.
The machinery heavy environments are the ones that are orange.
Orange is fiery and alive. Maybe they did that on purpose(?)
It just seemed so much more than necessary. The other games didn't have that whole ohmigodlookatthecreepymachinery thing.
I dunno. My personal preference, I guess.
Typographenia wrote: Are you talking about the diaries on the website? I don't think that's really anything to get so upset about. It didn't really add enough to the experience to warrant being in the game, so I view it purely as a "you're a fan, here's something to make the trip to our website every few days."
*strokes chin and ponders*
I supposed I don't have a right to be bitchy about the diaries, considering how much I jumped for joy when I found out the past life comics were going to accompany 8.
Thanks for the humbling moment. :wink:

mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

The Adversary wrote:How does that pertain to anything I wrote?
By anything you mean all you wrote:
The Adversary wrote:>Why the fuck was everything gray and orange?!?!<
You were "kinda" defendinding SHH (at least it was my impression) by sayin' that even in SH2 it was used just one type of colour (since SH2 was more,less the reference ). And I'm just saying that in SH2 there was predominantly one character in action ---> one colour palette ; while in SHH there were more characters ---> one colour palette (AGAIN).

And I'm saying --nobody minds that the otherworlds were different for every character, rather than just communal.. are we really going to blame on the deadline that Konami imposed? At least in SHO they made two types of Otherworlds: Alessa's and Travises (even if those were all mixed up a bit); and even in SH2 Eddie and Angela had their own world.. so if they really were, roughly said "copying SH2", why didn't they put this feature, that was worth putting...?
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I guess the creators just wanted to try something new instead of the typical bloody/rusty stuff. I thought it was okay. The surroundings kind of reminded me of the Saw movies. Especially the crucifix device. That was awesome.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

BUT IT WAS the typical blood/rust stuff.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I think it was a bit MORE rusty/metallic than the previous ones, I mean maybe some parts of SH3 come close to it but SHH's otherworld is almost entirely metallic through most of the game, whilst in the previous 'rusty' otherworlds each otherworld 'section' would have a different texture and style, SHH was pretty much rusty steampunk stuff throughout...

But yeah, if you think of the rusty industrial style being Alessa related and therefore not presenting itself in stories which don't involve Alessa, then I can see why you'd see it as out of place. To me it's like, Mario is colourful with mushrooms, Silent Hill is rusty. It's like, that's it's image. There have been variations but in most of them there are still at least a few similar rusty sections. Just like having the recurring nurses and Pyramid Head, despite their original conception (from James' subconscious, as we all know), they've become an iconic staple of the series and it'd be a shame to never have seen them again outside of the game they first showed up in (though at the same time, overuse can be harmful, many people on here feel that Pyramid Head's total of 3 appearances plus the very similar character in SH0 are far too many etc).

So yeah, if you ask me, it's rusty because it's what the series is known for.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Which is NOT a good thing in the slightest, as that means that peoples' understanding of Silent Hill is so warped that developers can feed assholes any dumb bullshit and get away with it just because it has a Pyramid Head cameo and some bloody rusty shit.