Which cover do you think BEST represents the game?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Which cover do you think BEST represents the game?

US Cover. I'd like to bring this with me to the bathroom!
13%
UK Cover. Poor Heather. I feel like I'm on a acid trip, man...
68%
JP Cover. This makes me wish everywhere I went was red. I would feel like a badass with a dark past wherever I go to, even in a restaurant called "Happy Burger"!
19%

Total votes: 144

Calamity
Historical Society Historian

Re: Which cover do you think BEST represents the game?

Post by Calamity »

I've always personally preferred the UK cover myself. There's some subtle eeriness to it, I find it much more eyecatching and interesting. I've never been a fan of the US one, and the Japanese one, eh it doesn't quite do it for me.
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

None of them really represent the game.
Awesome girl in a world of intense horror, creepiness, sadness and religious maniacs.
"In the end it's only round and round, and round."

LOOnwOlf
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

It would probably be between the u.s. cover and the japan cover....i'd probably go with the u.s. cover tho....if i knew nothing about the series, having heather's face on the cover like that draws attention and curiosity....it also helps that her face was rendered fantastically on that cover,....
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

The UK cover is the creepiest and reflects silent hill the most
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

I prefer the US version
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

The European one. It reflects the grainy and tarnished in-game graphics and I can almost imagine Heather' s head twisting weirdly in a random fashion, like the ride horses' heads (Jacob' s Ladder style).
I' m European though, maybe that explains it : the Jap cover seems ... well, Japanese (weird huge typo badly placed) and the American one ... American (fashion magazine front page top model).
Xev

Post by Xev »

To me, none of these covers truly give you a real representation of whats to come in this game. That said Im very surprised to see such a strong lead for the UK version! While slightly interesting they have shown just a portrait. I think they should have shown less of her face and make it more powerful - more bold with mystery.

The US would be better if her facial expression were different. It doesnt show fear it shows her like she is weak and helpless - which she is not.

I would love to re-do this cover.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

I just realized something : I was talking about my favorite cover, rather than the one that best represent the game. I don' t judge a book by it' s cover and I certainly never ever bought a single game based on it' s cover. The need to have a cover representative of the content seems to be quite American. At least that' s what an article in a European magazine that I read was claiming. Apparently that' s why the classy and sober Final Fantasy covers used all over the world never floated for American commercial departments. I' d rather see a real artwork or a sober logo on the cover than something trying to be a trailer of the game/movie/comic (the three US game that I own have covers as loaded as a Christmas tree, the anti-thesis of sober)
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

The vote goes to the U.K. cover! The dark, grainy style does represent the game's atmosphere to an extent. The other covers weren't bad, in fact it was a tough choice between the UK and the US versions.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

@ Patman, I live in US and most of the game covers we have don't really interest me in any way most of the time. When I was younger I would buy most games based on the cover but now I usually go online and look up info on games to see what I should get. However, ocassionally it's good to buy something on a whim based off how the cover looks, sometimes it's a pleasent surprise. One of my friends recently liked Lux Pain, a game which got horrible reviews online, because the cover looked interesting and she got a good vibe off it, she really likes it and finds it interesting, she could tell that that's what she wanted. Also, I picked out two of my favorite anime, and TV shows period, based off interesting looking covers, Noein: To Your Other Self, and Serial Experiments: Lain. I oftentimes find that if I like the art style a developer is going for, I'm generally more likely to like the rest of the game because if the developer and me are like-minded in one way, we may be like-minded in others.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
JaaamesSUNDERLAND!
Just Passing Through

Post by JaaamesSUNDERLAND! »

What I particularly like about the UK cover is that by refusing to 'sell itself' with some kind of action-packed trailer still, it went for a grainy image which, ironically stands out far more on the shelf than any all singing, all dancing multi-coloured game cover. As soon as I saw it, it leapt out at me as something that was different and above it all piqued my curiosity to pick it up off the shelf, flip it over, and take a look at the blurb content.. As for the US cover and, perhaps, the Japanese cover, I would probably have passed them over while scanning the shelves.
''Watcha call me a murderer for? I nivah killed anybody!''
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

The Jp cover looks more like actual gameplay during the game. I think the UK cover is the best, because it shows Heather's face in a blurry filter, which gives it a scary disposition. However, I love the US cover, too, because of the details in her face and how realistic they look. I'm a bit of an artist, so that really caught my eye.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The Japanese cover looks terrible. The U.S. and U.K. ones look good but I gave the slight edge to the U.K. one because I like the effects on the image. It looks neat.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

the jap version looks action like at first glance, but she has a nervous/ anxious/ scared look on her face as she holds the gun. and is even holding the gun as she does in the game. so ifound it quite good actually. but the uk cover gave me the vibe of playing the game. i think the picture on of heather lying her head on the bed and valtiel above her wouldve made a good front cover though.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
MsValtiel
Just Passing Through

Post by MsValtiel »

The UK cover is the best IMO
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

I like the UK version the best. My copies of Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 both have front covers that are blurry and surreal - to me, the UK version of SH3 is carrying on the tradition. It's dark, grainy, and gives you a feeling that something is wrong with reality (which is true in the game, kind of). It also expresses the turmoil that Heather goes through.

Personally, that cover looks the best to me, as well as represents the game the best.
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

I actually prefer the Japanese one. Yeah, some may say having the gun on display gives it that action look, but I like how it's more colorful and different yet gives a good display of uneasiness. To me the UK cover is too dull and little too similar to the the style of SH2's cover.

The US version is probably the worst.
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
SiXo
Just Passing Through

Post by SiXo »

UK. I really think it shows Heather the way she is. Scared and out of place.
welcome toImagesilent hill
Holy One
Just Passing Through

Post by Holy One »

I like the Japanese one best. It's one of my favorite Heather pictures, because it makes her look dangerous and vulnerable at the same time. That sums up her character pretty well. The U.S. one was good, but the UK one looked too much like the SH2 cover. SH3 is a gritty game with harsher colors, so the red on the Japanese cover fit better.
THREAD QUESTION: "Does anyone want to date Heather?"
PARTYHARD: "Well, she carries a fuckton of emotional baggage, she's her own mother, used to be a suicidal girl who opened the gates of Hell in a town and would kill people with her brain, she's 31 in a teenage body, she can go on a relentless rampage if you piss her off enough... sure, don't see why not."
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

UK looks erie
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.