Pink Floyd in Silent Hill

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Pink Floyd in Silent Hill

Post by Loonwolf »

If you think Silent Hill 3 is creepy and emotional, check out his piece of weirdness in a series of videos. This is really for those who are familiar with the game, and contains SPOILERS about it, as it shows the game being played. Here is a link to the playlist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex_caCLG ... playnext=1

I'll write more about it in seperate messages, with links to the first part of each section. This is something called 'audio/visual synchronicity'. It is normally done with films and TV shows, with a music album replacing the soundtrack. The music, sounds and lyrics of the album synchronise with the visuals throughout in a way which FAR exceeds what could happen by pure chance alone. Thus playthrough videos of the game are treated in the same way as if it is a continuous film to be watched. The videos also contain a link to the original videos to give the original creators credit, and also so you can confirm I have not edited them to fit the soundtrack.

Some people are somehow not able to see this synchronicity, so I will summarise them in the following messages, showing how they coincide. There is far more to it than what I will write; this is just what was easy to briefly describe. The more familiar you are with the game and the albums, and the more you think about what you are seeing and hearing, the more coincidence you will notice. These things often get better the more times you watch, as you usually do not notice all the coincidences the first time.

Often these things look like they have been done intentionally. Especially where you have things in the original video that don't make any sense at all, yet if you add the alternative soundtrack it makes PERFECT SENSE. For example, the mysterious crescent moon door (a thin sliver of moon, mostly dark and in eclipse), which requires a moonstone to open instead of something normal like a key or passcard seems very strange to me - but this is a vital part of the synchronicity.

Does anyone suppose the game creators were possibly inspired by these albums, and based the game on them - and you are supposed to play the game while listening to the albums?

Enjoy! :)
"In the end it's only round and round, and round."

LOOnwOlf
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Re: Pink Floyd in Silent Hill

Post by Loonwolf »

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (Pink Floyd)

Here is a link to part 1...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex_caCLG5JE

The album begins halfway through the opening music video of the game. This is very unusual, as normally the audio begins at the same time the original video begins, but there is no doubt this is the "correct" way it is supposed to line up.

Note that the song 'Us and them' is missed out, and plays at the end of the album instead, which then continues on the the end of the album for a second time. This makes more sense when you watch it.

SPEAK TO ME/BREATHE

The singing starts when the game begins.

"Look around."
Heather starts looking around.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
Heather sees she is holding a knife.

"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Heather is next to a rabbit and starts running, then falls down a dark hole.
(Alessa in wonderland.)

"When at last the work is done - don't sit down, it's time to dig another one."
The nightmare is over, and Heather is sitting at a table asleep - she stands up and the nightmare starts again.

"Long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide.
Balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave."
Describes Heather balanced on the edge and falling from a great height to an early death in the dream.

ON THE RUN

Heather is "on the run" from Douglas during this song.

Footsteps are heard as we see Douglas' feet and he starts walking.

A voice sounds from a speaker as Heather talks on the telephone.

"Live for today, gone tomorrow - that's me."
Douglas says, "Give me an hour - no, half an hour of your time."

Running footsteps and heavy breathing are heard while Heather is on the long run down the alleyway outside.

TIME

Everything looks normal until Heather walks through the door into the dark, bloodstained hall.
Alarm bells start ringing at this moment.
Ominous music starts when Heather sees the first monster.

"Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day, you fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town, waiting for someone or something to show you the way."
Describes Heather's normal day as a teenager in her home town, and she finds a map to show her the way.

"There is time to kill today."
Heather decides to kill a monster. She doesn't kill any more until the lyrics tell her to.

"You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, and racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death."
Heather goes on a long run, and continues around the circular area, past the 'Sunshine Princess' shop.
Monsters that want to kill her are coming up behind her as she gets shorter of breath.

"Plans that either come to nought, or half a page of scribbled lines.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way... Thought I'd something more to say."
Heather picks up and arranges the English Shakespeare books, with numbers added on to them, beginning with nought.

"Far away across the field the tolling on the iron bell
calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell."
We see Claudia far away, and she says the creatures have come to witness the rebirth of Paradise.

THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY

A woman screams and moans during the song, as Heather also screams and moans with pain and fright.

"You've got to go sometime."
Heather says, "Wait!" as Claudia leaves.

"I never said I was frightened of dying."
Heather finds lots of health items and uses a save point.

MONEY

Sounds like a shutter going up as Heather goes through the shutter.

"Get away!"
Someone is apparently in the toilet, but then not.

"It's a gas!"
Fumes from the mixed cleaning products.

"Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash."
Heather searches around the shopping mall during the song, picking up numerous items.
Though the player doesn't show this, she says how it's a shame the stuff in the jewellery shop is gone,
especially the ring she really wanted to take.

"I'm alright, Jack, keep your hands off of my stack!"
Heather successfully avoids getting touched and harmed by some monsters.

"Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie!"
Heather runs past a dog not interested in her, busy eating a dead body, which they are happy to share with each other.

"If you ask for a rise it's no surprise they're giving none away."
Heather runs down an escalator, moving stairs which raise and lower people - none of them are working.

ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE

Purely musical song. Heather changes the colour of the light on the fan switch twice.

There is a gasp/scream when Heather gasps/screams as she inhales the chemical fumes.

BRAIN DAMAGE

"Got to keep the loonies on the path."
Heather goes the wrong way, then corrects herself.

"The lunatic is in the hall. The lunatics are in my hall."
Heather enters a room, and some creatures have appeared there that weren't there before.

"The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and every day the paperboy brings more."
Heather kills one of the creatures and stamps on it when it is on the floor,
then she encounters another one she has to kill.

"If there is no room upon the hill."
Heather can't get past the dead creature for a moment, and can't just walk over it.

"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."
Heather is trying to get to the other side of the crescent moon door, and uses the moonstone to get through.
The line is sung both just before and just after she goes through the crescent moon door.

"The lunatic is in my head... There's someone in my head, but it's not me."
Heather is finding out there is someone else in her head (Alessa/Cheryl).

"You lock the door and throw away the key."
Heather opens the locked crescent moon door, leaving the moonstone key behind.

"Whoa-whoa-oa-oa!"
Heather nearly falls off the edge.

ECLIPSE

The final battle with the split worm. The song lyrics reach a climax here.
"All that you fight... all you create and all you destroy..." etc.

"All you distrust, all you save."
The player saved the game without a save point just before the final battle.

"All that is now, and all that is gone, and all that's to come.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."
Describes the bizarre change to the dark "Otherworld" that has occurred.

"There is no dark side of the moon really - matter of fact it's all dark."
Both sides of the crescent moon door were equally as dark!

Heartbeats at the end synchronise with Heather firing her gun.

The final battle ends as the final song ends and reality returns - no longer "on the dark side".

US AND THEM

Things go back to the way they were before, and Heather says, "Am I back?" as the album goes back to this missing point.

"Us and them, and after all we're only ordinary men."
Heather accuses Douglas of being "one of them", but he says he isn't on anybody's side.

"Me and you, God only knows it's not what we would choose to do."
Douglas is equally as shocked as Heather by what has happened, and had nothing to do with it.

"The lines on the map moved from side to side."
Heather says things became "really screwy", and she had to keep updating her map as the walls and floors moved.

"Who knows which is which and who is who?"
Heather doesn't trust Douglas yet, and is beginning to remember who she really is.

"Up and down, and in the end it's only round and round and round."
Heather goes down the stairs into the subway, next to stairs going up.
She runs past several circles and ends up running round and round the subway.

"Haven't you heard it's a battle of words, the poster bearer cried.
Listen, son, said the man with the gun, there's room for you inside."
Heather goes into the subway past lots of posters, carrying a gun.

"Down and out, it can't be helped but there's a lot of it about."
Heather looks down on the floor at the magazine article about dead people and "high accident areas".

"With, without. And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about."
Those who have lost their lives can be jealous of the living and want to kill them too.

"Out of the way, it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind.
For want of the price of tea and a slice the old man died."
Heather's too busy looking for a train to notice the old dead man's ghost coming up behind to push her.
She has to quickly get out of the way of the train!

ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE

Musical only song. Begins suddenly as Heather is pushed onto the tracks and the train is heard approaching.

BRAIN DAMAGE

Same general synchronicity as before, Heather is still "on the dark side" with someone else in her head.

"Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs. Got to keep the loonies on the path."
Heather uses the "nut" cracker to remove the chain, casting the "nut" to the floor and continues on her path.

"The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and every day the paperboy brings more."
Heather gets her "birthday present", the shotgun, wrapped in paper.

"If there is no room upon the hill."
A huge monster is blocking the stairway which Heather came down.

"You make the change, you rearrange me 'till I'm sane."
The player goes the wrong way and insults himself.

"You lock the door and throw away the key."
Heather tries to go through a single door in the subway at this point, but of course can't.

ECLIPSE

Again this section reaches its conclusion as the album ends.

Same general synchronicity as before, including...
"All you distrust, all you save."
Again the player saves the game without a save point before the final challenge,
going down onto the tracks with the dogs and the train approaching.
This extra "distrustful save" happens only twice - the two times the lyrics demand it.

"All that's to come"
As the train is about to arrive.

The video series has some 'lag', where Heather's running is often slowed down.
Coincidentally this means her slower footsteps synchronise with the heartbeats at the end.

LOOnwOlf
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

THE FINAL CUT (Pink Floyd)

Here is a link to part 1...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAWhiDK9O4Q

This is from a different set of videos. This synchronises with another Pink Floyd album from the very beginning of the playthrough - 'The Wall'. Though I've only watched the start, and haven't made a video for that one yet.

THE POST WAR DREAM

Album starts as Heather arrives home. Sounds of different radio stations as it looks like Harry is watching TV.
But Harry is dead, suffering his "final cut" from the sword-wielding missionary.

"Was it for this that daddy died? Was it you, was it me, did I watch too much TV? Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?"
Heather cries over her father's dead body in front of the TV, and goes off to accuse Claudia of doing it, who says that Heather was late.

"What have we done?"
Heather says, "Did you do this?"

"Should we shout, should we scream? What happened to the post war dream?"
Heather starts shouting, and Claudia said she did it because Harry ruined their dream, and to fill Heather's heart with hatred.

YOUR POSSIBLE PASTS

(This has a small missing section at the end, it was a lot easier to make the video if I left it out.)

"They flutter behind you, your possible pasts...
Do you remember me, how we used to be?"
Claudia said, "You must try to remember me, and your true self as well... I'll be waiting where all begins."

"A warning to anyone still in command (OPEN FIRE!)
Of their possible future, to take care."
Heather equips her shotgun and opens fire, then gets stabbed by the missionary.

"Don't you think we should be closer?"
The missionary tries to get closer to Heather, and Heather gets closer to do more damage with her shotgun.
(In the missing section Heather should be getting closer to her helper Douglas, but keeps pushing him away.)

"The gold in their bags or the knives in their back."
Heather looks in her inventory, then shoots the missionary in the back.

"Stepping up boldly, one put out his hand."
The missionary was on the floor, gets up, then stabs his hand out at Heather.

"By the cold and religious we were taken in hand, shown how to feel good and told to feel bad."
Description of Claudia's treatment of Heather.

ONE OF THE FEW

"When you're one of the few to land on your feet, what do you do to make ends meet?"
After she defeated the missionary who killed her father, Douglas asks Heather, "What'll you do now?"

"Make 'em mad, make 'em sad... make 'em lay down and die."
Heather says she going to Silent Hill to get revenge on the killers, and says she will kill Claudia herself.

THE HERO'S RETURN

"Jesus, Jesus, what's it all about? Trying to clout these little ingrates into shape!"
Heather is still ungrateful towards Douglas, who is offering to help her.

"When I was their age all the lights went out. There was no time to whine and mope about."
Heather says Douglas might die too, and he says nobody will cry for him, and gives Heather time to grieve for her father.

"Though they'll never fathom it behind my sarcasm desperate memories lie. Sweetheart, sweetheart are you fast asleep?"
Sarcastic Heather has some new and old desperate memories. She goes to her bedroom. Though she's tired she has no time to sleep.

"There is something that I've locked away."
Heather gets her stun gun and batteries.

"But the burning in my heart, the memory smoulders on of the gunner's dying words..."
Heather stops for a moment to remember her father again.

THE GUNNER'S DREAM

"Memories come rushing up to meet me now. But in the space between the heavens and the corner of some foreign field, I had a dream...
Goodby Max, goodbye ma. After the service when you're walking slowly to the car."
After all she could do for her dead father, Heather goes to the car and begins to remember her past on the journey to Silent Hill.

"The silver in her hair shines in the cold November air."
A light shines on Heather's hair.

"As the teardrops rise to meet the comfort of the band."
Douglas says, "It started raining."

"A place to stay, enough to eat, somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street..."
They start talking about Silent Hill, which used to be a nice place, before everything changed.

"No-one kills the children any more."
Heather talks about the young girl. Her classmates called her a witch, and she could kill people just by thinking about it.

PARANOID EYES

They are arriving at Silent Hill and must prepare for the dangers, and are worried - especially Douglas. Heather is bulletproof.

"If they try to break down your disguise with their questions."
Douglas is asking Heather questions, who reveals she is actually Alessa/Cheryl in disguise.

"You can hide, hide, hide behind petrified eyes."
Heather suspects Douglas is scared to be alone, and he admits to it.

"You believed in their stories of fame, fortune and glory. Now you're lost in a haze of alcohol, soft middle age."
Douglas doesn't know quite how old he is, and wants to be Superman, and have a smoke. He headed out into the thick fog.

GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF MY DESERT

Describes Heather's revenge mission against Claudia for taking her father away.

THE FLETCHER MEMORIAL HOME

Description of Heather's temporary motel home, the hospital she has to visit, and the memory card as she goes on her revenge mission.

SOUTHAMPTON DOCK

Romantic description of lakeside Silent Hill with its hidden horrors not mentioned in the tourism pamphlet (also in Silent Hill 2).

"But still the dark stain spreads between their shoulder blades, a mute reminder of the poppy fields and graves.
When the fight was over, we spent what they had made. But in the bottom of our hearts we felt the final cut."
After the fight with the sword-wielding missionary, Heather still has her dead father's blood stain on her jacket as a reminder.

THE FINAL CUT

"Through the fish-eyed lens of tear-stained eyes, I can barely define the shape of this moment in time."
The player gets scared and pauses the game in a frozen moment in time.

"I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide."
Heather runs away into the elevator, which goes underground, to hide from the nurses.

"If you negotiate the minefield in the drive, and beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes.
And if you make it past the shotguns in the hall..."
It's a dangerous journey to the hospital - through dogs, and with nurses with guns in the hall. She'll need to use a camera to see later.

"...dial the combination, open the priesthole. And if I'm in I'll tell you (what's behind the wall)."
Heather has to find the combinations to door locks, to talk to self-apppointed priest Leonard on the telephone.
He is hidden behind the wall - Heather has to go through a door that magically appears there.

"There's a kid who had a big hallucination, making love to girls in magazines. He wonders if you're sleeping with your new found faith.
Could anybody love him, or is it just a crazy dream? And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"
Description of creepy Stanley Coleman, lurking, or having lurked there, being obsessed with Heather and leaving love notes for her.
He, or a doctor, possibly wrote the insane love poem riddle there about the door lock combination, and there are magazines around.

"And if I open my heart to you, and show you my weak side, what would you do? Would you..."
MEMO: "What would you think if you knew how I felt. Would you simply smile, not saying a word?"

"Thought I ought to bear my naked feelings."
MEMO: "I want it to hear my true feelings."

NOT NOW JOHN

Song plays while Heather tries to figure out the riddle, and ends when it is solved.

"#### all that, we've got to get on with these. Got to compete with the wily Japanese."
Got to get on with solving the riddle, posed by the Konami Japanese.

"Not now, John, we've got to get on with the film show. Got to get on, got to get on."
The film show can't continue until the riddle is solved.

"Hang on, John, I've got to get on with this. I don't know what it is, but it fits on here like..."
Heather figured out what the riddle refers to, and how it fits onto the keypad, but still doesn't know the precise numbers.

"Hold on, John, I think there's something good on. I used to read books, but..."
It's a good riddle. The last tricky one required reading the Shakespeare books.

"One, two, three, four!"
The puzzle solution is four numbers, so one of the five indicated must be taken out.

TWO SUNS IN THE SUNSET

"I suffer premonitions, confirm suspicions, of the holocaust to come."
Heather had a premonition in a dream about her death, also fears what the coming god will do to the world.

"The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in gives way."
Heather pushes the bar and opens the door that was locked.

"Could be the human race is run."
Heather encounters a dead human body.

The lyrics describe a violent death as Heather reads the report about the man's violent death, by a "final cut", like her father. (A girl shouts, "Daddy! Daddy!")

"You'll never hear their voices, and you'll never see their faces."
REPORT: "Have received no proof or corroboration of event from patient residing in the same room."
This was maybe Stanley Coleman, whose face Heather never sees - though she hears him trying to speak.

"You have no recourse to the law anymore."
REPORT: "Have not notified police."

"Finally I understand... we were all equal in the end."
Heather now understands the tattoo on the man's arm - that the number of his clock alarm time is equal to the number of his briefcase combination."
Also about the equality of everyone in the end, when they are all dead.

LOOnwOlf
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

According to the forum rules I just want to add this...

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Links to videos containing copyrighted content is posted for educational/research purposes into the phenomenon known as "audio/visual synchronicity".

Some video sharing sites automatically block certain content, and an appeal must be made, but on those where each video is approved manually this "fair use" for research purposes is allowed. Though I've never had any problem at all with copyright claims when publicly sharing Pink Floyd music on any video sharing sites.

LOOnwOlf
Loonwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Loonwolf »

Does anybody else have any examples of this to show? Or perhaps have any ideas about albums that would work with a particular section of the game? There will certainly be many that will work, but creepy sounding ones would be the best.
I can probably make the videos if anyone has ideas that work.

For example if you start an album from the beginning of the game, most likely track 2 will play during the scene where Heather thinks Douglas is a creep and doesn't want him near her, and tries to get away from him.

With Radiohead's 'Pablo Honey' track 2 is the song 'Creep'. Heather's trying to run away from Douglas, who doesn't belong in the ladies' toilet...
"I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here.
She's running out the door."

With Coldplay's 'X&Y' track 2 is the song 'What if'. Heather doesn't want Douglas near her, and jumps out of the window to get away from him...
"What if you should decide that you don't want me there by your side,
that you don't want me there in your life?
Oooooh, that's right. Let's take a breath, jump over the side."

LOOnwOlf
nothingbut3%
Just Passing Through

Post by nothingbut3% »

Is this one of those Pink Floyd sync up things, like with the Wizard of Oz movie? I never wanted to go through the trouble with all that stuff. It's interesting you put together though. I like it. The Dark Side of the Moon's lyrics are pretty vague though, and about madness in general, so sometimes I feel people make the associations themselves and trick their mind into thinking there's some relation (with whatever)
I'm not sure if it makes this Silent Hill game more scary, because I never thought of The Dark Side of the Moon very creepy or disturbing, at least not by today's standards; it's really tame compared to more modern music.
Xev
Historical Society Historian

Post by Xev »

The lyrics of DSOTM may be deceptively tame to today because of the superior arrangement of the words. :mrgreen:

I do not believe these albums to sync with Silent Hill games. How can you time something like games where there are too many variables with in game play.

Don't get me wrong I applaud your idea I just do not agree. Pink Floyd and Silent Hill are 2 of my favorites but I cant see where they connect in this manner.
nothingbut3%
Just Passing Through

Post by nothingbut3% »

Xev wrote:The lyrics of DSOTM may be deceptively tame to today because of the superior arrangement of the words. :mrgreen:
Can you explain to me then? I don't really get the underlying meanings of the lyrics in Dark Side of the Moon if there are. I'm not a huge fan of them, but still interested in what you're implying.
- on a side note: apart from the sung words I was also talking about the actual instrumentation: it's really not that chilling to me.
Xev

Post by Xev »

Ah I see what youre saying. The music was created around 1970 so I can understand it compared to music today -but I will say that it is far beyond its time. I agree the music isnt that foreboding, as compared to what's out there today, but I thought you meant the words and meaning specifically.
I may message you with some of my thoughts on the album.
kish
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kish »

Oh man... you can watch anything and be fucking psyched if you're listening to Pink Floyd in the background... Aw yeah, this is sexy.

Floyd's lyrics leave much room for personal interpretation... I tie them into my life in a whole different way. (Interrogation rooms, terrorists, love,SOCIETEE, capitalism, the growing distance between nature and man... what not?)
Keep scrolling down.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I think that album just fits perfectly with anything fantastical or dealing with insanity, so...yeah
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Matrix
Just Passing Through

Post by Matrix »

Woah. I just listened to pink floyd's "Cymbaline" and "If"
before checking out this thread.

Probably a strange coincidence. Because although unrelated I think it is fate playing with the muses of inspiration. When you are a being living outside of time I imagine they pull a few strings here and there and we have something like DSOTM and SH to make sense together.

:)
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I'll take your word for it, because I don't have the time to check on this myself.

While I'm on the subject, how long DID this take?
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIEsveoTELY

In a twisted way that reminnds me of this. Only this is much more hilarious...
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

warfare315 wrote:I think that album just fits perfectly with anything fantastical or dealing with insanity, so...yeah
That's part of why DSOTM (and Pink Floyd in general) has such staying power. It's at once personal and very vague. It covers topics that apply universally, yet does so in a very intimate and meaningful way. Like a close friend pouring out their heart.
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Post by LeriSuccubus »

I've heard that that album fits to the Wizard of Oz. I think it's just all a coincidence. Anything can be connected when you search for it
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Loonwolf wrote:The music, sounds and lyrics of the album synchronise with the visuals throughout in a way which FAR exceeds what could happen by pure chance alone.
Nope. People are wired to look for patterns where none exist.