I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Post by Tillerman »

I think SH3 has the best graphics, but I can see how you might like the look of SH1 the best. SH1 has great graphics which still hold up well.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

SH1 and SH3 had the best Otherworld enviroments.
SH2 and SH3 had the best enemy design.
SH2 and SH3 had the best character model.
SH1 and SH2 had the best art style.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:SH1 and SH3 had the best Otherworld enviroments.
SH2 and SH3 had the best enemy design.
SH2 and SH3 had the best character model.
SH1 and SH2 had the best art style.
I agree with all that, actually. I even know which ones I would pick: SH1 for best otherworlds, SH3 for enemy design, SH3 for character models, and... it's really hard to pick which one has the best artstyle, I kind of want to say it's a tie between 1 2 and 3.

And these choices are even including the new games, with thier allegedly better graphics.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Silent Hill 1 also has the best enemy distribution; each kind belongs to a specific location... The other games randomly put the same enemies everywhere... (Bubblehead Nurses in the streets?? Seriously??)

Silent Hill 1 along with SH2 have the best flashlight function... In the other games you can pick items and look at the map with your light off...
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by Redklok »

KageReneko wrote:Even the first Alone in the Dark gave me a good creepy feeling and that game has HORRIBLE graphics!!!

Ehm Alone in the Dark 1 is from 1992. Back then they were the best graphics available. Played it just 2 days ago. If you have the cd-rom version it has some spooky music and the books you can read will be narrated for you.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I know that, I respect the older games and its graphics but the model characters are just awful (Carnby's nose!!!); anyway, the rooms are beautifully made and it still being one of the scariest games for me...

Back in 1992 the computers were pretty rare in my country, they started to get popular after 1994 and to find PC games was pretty hard (My country sucks)... My first time with AITD was just like 4 years ago (After play all Silent Hill games, Resident Evil games and the AITD for PSX) and it still scared the shit of me... Original AITD is a real good game...
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

the sequels of alone in the dark are pretty nice aswell, 2 and 3 aren't really scary but they're fun to play and offer some nice puzzles.The 4th installment is the most scary imho and I'm sad that part 5 didn't follow the aitd formula.

Back on-topic: SH1 is indeed very terrifying despite its dated graphics. I must say that the story is not as gripping as SH 2 though. There's much left for your own interpretation.

Funny thing is that this game is much harder then 2,3 and 4 because you have far less bullets early on and its more difficult to avoid certain monsters especially the grey children in the school. I must say that they did a great job in the movie with the school.
Last edited by Redklok on 23 Jan 2011, edited 1 time in total.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Also, this is the only game with a sidequest...

And I love all the references to writers, movies, books and other stuff
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Wow I would say that SH1 is perhaps the easiest in the series if not SH2. The game gives you gobs of bullets and health items you'll never use, the only difficult part is finding enough shotgun shells for the first boss.

Also, the game's ambiguousness is great to me, it makes it the weirdest title in the series, once they got to 3 the stories started to get a little more obvious, and then we get to Homecoming...
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

Just replayed the whole game this evening. This was my 2nd playthrough and I did it on hard and it was hard. Only the nurses where easy the other enemies annoying and deadly.

The music is totally nerve wrecking and the environments are threatening. There's lots of stuff that are left for your imagination, there's not much told from what happened. Sure there are theories on the internet but they are not acknowledged in the game itself (for instance, in the movie, you had this janitor which abused Alessa, but he was not in the game).

The only thing that was a bit lame was the monster design and especially the flying monsters which where not scary at all only annoying.

All in all despite the outdated graphics (I swear that pc games looked way better in 1999 as far as I can remember) I had this great feeling of unheimlichkeit and it is next to SH2 the most scary SH game that I've played. This game breathes evil.
Rayder
Just Passing Through

Post by Rayder »

I've been debating if I want to play SH1 again myself. I originally played it on the PS1 in 2000 or 2001, but I guess I'm a bit of a graphics whore these days. Computer tech ages in dog-years....not sure I can tolerate those jittery graphics and warping textures that PS1 always had. Of course I'll be playing through an emulator on my PC, so I can up the res and add AA and things like that, but it still pales in comparison to the PC versions of 2, 3 and 4, which are the only other SH games I have.

While I'll admit that SH1 had fairly impressive graphics for a PS1 game, it's still kinda barren and bland looking compared to the PC version sequels.

I haven't played any of them in a few years, so I'm thinking I ought to start from the beginning. But, but....well, I think you guys see my quandary.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I would say definitely do it. The graphics actually hold up surprisingly well for a PS1 game... but besides that, a horror game is a lot more than it's graphics... SH1 also still has one of the best soundtracks of the series. Even a low-tech game can be a lot scarier than a high-tech game if the soundtrack is of higher quality.
Brian J Flesh
Just Passing Through

Post by Brian J Flesh »

I will tell you why. In a nut shell it being the first its very much unexplained horror. The later titles where shaped to fit a certain story and background but the first I feel in a lot of ways is open to many different reasons why the town is f**ked. Play it but without thinking you know the whole story. THe graphics arent really that bad either.Im playing it now to re-beat....again. LoL. Hope this helps.

Out of all the games in the series I feel this one is the one that is the most different in terms of everything.
"In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill. I guess I really don't care if it's dangerous or not. I'm going to town either way."-Silent Hill 2.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I played it knowing the plot, but I wanted to play it for myself. Spent $50 on ebay to get it like 5 years back. lol but almost everything everyone has said about it is true. it is a very good game.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Judas130
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by Judas130 »

Breaka wrote:Silent Hill isn't a book, there is a lot more to it than just the story
^wisdom still alive a few years back but perhaps lost on today's generation of gamers. I think this thread, though dated, is still massively important to new people coming to the series - especially the inflow likely to happen with Vatra's release. I was skeptical at first - got into SH when I saw that Silent Hill 4 advert on a gamer magazine disk, but the first game i played was Silent Hill 3 - then 2 - and I've only found the time to track down SH1 and play it this year. It was difficult to adjust, but once that Silent Hill suggestive gore-banter began, SH1 rapidly became one of my favourites.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
As soon as I saw that dog's head at the bloody basketball court, I felt right at home.
demon child 7
Just Passing Through

Post by demon child 7 »

The first Silent Hill is super awesome. I still love playing this game even years after my first experience with it. It was the game that really got me into the Silent Hill series although the graphics are behind the standard of today, they are very decent for the era. It has all the atmosphere and chills and combat that any game in the series has. If you love this series you need to play this game it is really great. Maybe you won't feel that way but for me it was really monumental in my life.
Project_Night
Just Passing Through

Post by Project_Night »

Anonymous wrote:Is that bad? I've played all of the other games, but since I already know what happens in SH1, I'm just not all that excited about playing a slightly off graphics game that I know the ending of.

Why should I play SH1? What did you like about that game that would cause you to recommend it to me?
(Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I didnt see anything thread like this one, so I assume its ok to post. >.> )
Because Silent Hill 1 is the only one.
It's different from the other games and different from Silent Hill 2, 3, 4... etc

For me, Silent Hill 1 is the best survival horror of all times.

1) Silent Hill 1
2) Silent Hill 2
3) your call

-----------------------------
demon child 7 wrote:The first Silent Hill is super awesome. I still love playing this game even years after my first experience with it. It was the game that really got me into the Silent Hill series although the graphics are behind the standard of today, they are very decent for the era. It has all the atmosphere and chills and combat that any game in the series has. If you love this series you need to play this game it is really great. Maybe you won't feel that way but for me it was really monumental in my life.
Totally agree and i want remember the beautiful lights effect, best of 32-64 bit era.
Last edited by Project_Night on 04 Apr 2013, edited 1 time in total.
If you want, please support my horror game "Project Night": http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/proje ... /x/2716968
Thank you!
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

Please don't double post, if you have something more to add before someone else has replied, use the edit function.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

SH1 is important in the way that it gives the basic important facts and information about the town, the cult, the setting and history. Sure, you can just go and read all about it on the internet, but there's no better way of learning than by playing through the actual game itself. You get this kind of stable overview that you can relate to when playing any other game in the series. In the end, most of the powerful forces that create bizarre versions of Silent Hill in latter games are direct results of the intensification that Alessa contributed to.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
PeachySakura24
Historical Society Historian

Post by PeachySakura24 »

So, did the OP ever actually play this game? Everyone has given their opionions as to why or why not for about 5 years, but no one ever asked if he or she took their advice. ;)