The Sanitarium

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

white rabbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: The Sanitarium

Post by white rabbit »

I wished we could have seen more, like with Toluca Prison. Same with the part of the town we had to travel. I'm nosy with that kind of stuff so I always hope there are a lot of houses or businesses we can explore. The sanitorium was pretty easy to get through alothough honestly I did have my husband there for support, you never know when something will jump out at you and he seems to be a good luck charm againsts the bosses. :mrgreen:
"My days of taking you serious are close to a middle." - Firefly
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/iczerfae/All_SHf.jpg[/img]
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

The Sanitarium was my favorite level in the game and I thought a good portion of it was explored.

One of my best friends actually found this to be the scariest level in the series. She hates hospitals, for one thing, as well as psychiatrists or anything having to do with being trapped because of her "oddities".
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Nomad
Just Passing Through

Post by Nomad »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:The Sanitarium was my favorite level in the game and I thought a good portion of it was explored.

One of my best friends actually found this to be the scariest level in the series. She hates hospitals, for one thing, as well as psychiatrists or anything having to do with being trapped because of her "oddities".
Although not for the same reasons, I too can relate to that 'fear of hospitals'
:?

Which is what made the Sanitarium fun and reasonably spooky to explore.
Never stops moving

V wrote:Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
Homie
Just Passing Through

Post by Homie »

the sanitarium always works ;).
!!! "Tribute to SILENT HILL" !!! Fansoundtrack OUT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAqUCimHF1c
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

I personally thought the sanitarium was one of the most tedious parts of the game and one of the places that made me literally want to chew my own arm off.
Nomad
Just Passing Through

Post by Nomad »

Trauma_ wrote:I personally thought the sanitarium was one of the most tedious parts of the game and one of the places that made me literally want to chew my own arm off.
It was longer than it was fun to explore.

It would've been the most suitable place for exploration if it weren't so full of backtracking..
Never stops moving

V wrote:Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I'm on my 2nd playthrough on 0rigins.
I've always enjoyed the sanitarium. I think it's all very creepy. And the aggravation that comes with it is just part of the Silent Hill experience in my opinion.

I hate the theater, however. It's the puppet creatures...they didn't scare me at all. And just its vibe... I didn't find it involving.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ The theather was ok, liked the ending. The puppet creatures bothered me when they came in groups and would attack you on the ground. I lost a lot of health that way.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The theater did a couple of neat things. I liked the stage and the mirror thing.

The puppets were pretty annoying, though.
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

Nomad wrote:
Trauma_ wrote:I personally thought the sanitarium was one of the most tedious parts of the game and one of the places that made me literally want to chew my own arm off.
It was longer than it was fun to explore.

It would've been the most suitable place for exploration if it weren't so full of backtracking..
That's why, it was pretty cool... until you realize it takes like 4 hours to get through the damn level. And if you run out of weapons, hoooo boy... I wasn't fond of the theater, but the boss fight I'll admit was a pretty clever puzzle.
Nomad
Just Passing Through

Post by Nomad »

Trauma_ wrote:That's why, it was pretty cool... until you realize it takes like 4 hours to get through the damn level.
Very true.
You can explore an environment beyond awesomeness, but having to trek right back through it sixteen times wears away the idea of exploration and environment and now you're stressfully focused on something completely different.

Finding a key.
Never stops moving

KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Trauma_ wrote: That's why, it was pretty cool... until you realize it takes like 4 hours to get through the damn level. And if you run out of weapons, hoooo boy... I wasn't fond of the theater, but the boss fight I'll admit was a pretty clever puzzle.
Well, in my first playthough took 5:49 and I I spent almost the same time at the sanitarium and the motel besides all the time that i spent exploring the town and the other buildings and marking the map...

My fastest completion time was 1:24 but I'm sure that some people can do it faster...

You must suck in that level...
X-rust

Post by X-rust »

I ripped the Remnant monster.

Just as I thought it something like a leather straitjacket with a clamp to the head.

I tried the "put" Remnant on a Straight Jacket. Looks interesting
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

KageReneko wrote:
Trauma_ wrote: That's why, it was pretty cool... until you realize it takes like 4 hours to get through the damn level. And if you run out of weapons, hoooo boy... I wasn't fond of the theater, but the boss fight I'll admit was a pretty clever puzzle.
Well, in my first playthough took 5:49 and I I spent almost the same time at the sanitarium and the motel besides all the time that i spent exploring the town and the other buildings and marking the map...

My fastest completion time was 1:24 but I'm sure that some people can do it faster...

You must suck in that level...
Yep, it's not because of poor level design or absolutely tedious tasks that end up amounting to almost nothing, or even the fact that I was exaggerating the 4 hours (maybe only slightly for some here), I just suck at that level, thanks for the enlightenment. :wink:

That Remnant rip is pretty cool, doesn't make the monsters any less annoying, but still cool.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

That remnant monster is pretty cool. Not exactly original, but doesn't need to be either considering it's invisible hah.

I love the Sanitarium. It's by far the biggest level in all of Silent Hill I think. It was a pretty "shiiiiiiiiittttttttttt" moment seeing the map for the first time. That thing is ridiculously huge for such a small town. But considering the amount of issues the people have, 90% of the population is probably in there.

It can get a bit tedious at around the 75% mark. Plus the music can end up being a bit redundant.

That aside, I love how everything looked old, covered in disgusting straight jackets and was covered in mold. Everything was just rotting. The music when you first walk in is frickin wonderful too.

My favorite moment is how everything comes together perfectly in the end. Plus the end boss is one of my favorite monster designs in the entire series.

Too bad it's designed so well that it's not challenging whatsoever.

Edit: Totally just realized I channeled my inner Wheeler in this post. God bless you, you needlessly stereotypical dude, you!
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I don't see why people hated that the level is long with backtracking. They must not like survival horror gameplay very much cause that's what it is. Tedius level exploration with lots of item finding and backtracking. Personally I love that sort of gameplay, it's a big reason why I love Silent Hill and I felt like that sort of gameplay was majorly missing from 4 and Homecoming. LOL, I'm not sure Homecoming even wanted to be that kind of game.

People these days seem to like Silent Hill, but not survival horror. It's my 3rd favorite game genre (after 3D platformers and turn-based RPGs).
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I recently played through Origins, and I only had to backtrack twice tops, and not far... Overblown criticism is overblown.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
k0n0k0
Just Passing Through

Post by k0n0k0 »

The Sanitarium was a bit boring in my opinion. But after playing the Theater I kinda changed my opinion. Anyway, I think I got really mad at the Sanitarium part because of those shadow guys. Also the final boss. During the first time playing the game, I died a few times because of them. But now with my Tesla Rifle it's everything much easier heh :P
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I consider the Sanatarium and the Theater to be two of the best stages of the whole franchise. I loved it.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

The motel just had something special that made me like it the most. The sanitarium was alright for me though.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill