This game had so much potential....

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

This game had so much potential....

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

Just look at the first trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZtRN1WAY8A I do love this game and story its my 3rd favorite. But man if Team Silent had done it I think it could have been so much better. Thoughts?
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
Dark Shadow
Just Passing Through

Re: This game had so much potential....

Post by Dark Shadow »

More like if they had more time it could have been better.
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

Yeah possibly.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

If Origins had just been given to Climax UK from the start then it could have been great.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Climax US made that game/trailer, if you look more on that trailer of the game and the old SH0 screenshots/gameplay video you can see a lot of....bad ideas incorporated into the game, including horrible screaming purple men and gorilla-walk Travis. However, something (I forgot..) made the Climax UK group develop the game again from scratch with a rushed release date obviously not helping them.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

simeonalo wrote:However, something (I forgot..) made the Climax UK group develop the game again from scratch with a rushed release date obviously not helping them.
If my memory serves me correctly, Konami was unhappy with the direction the game was taking, and handed it over to the UK branch. I may be wrong though.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

DirtyNorris wrote:
simeonalo wrote:However, something (I forgot..) made the Climax UK group develop the game again from scratch with a rushed release date obviously not helping them.
If my memory serves me correctly, Konami was unhappy with the direction the game was taking, and handed it over to the UK branch. I may be wrong though.
correct and from the interview the guy gave early last year when they got it all the cut scences and story had been done and signed off so there was limited as to what they could clean up
Youma Taisan!
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

^Exactly, and I'm one of those who doesn't think Origins is half bad, I rank it about equal to 3 and just above Homecoming, I honestly think if Climax UK had been given more time and freedom it would be one of my favourites.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Honestly, a prequel game probably has the least potential.

Since they're going out of their way to tell how events lead up to the first game they're restricted to what they do with the narrative far more than if they were to make a sequel like 2, 3, or 4. The trailer only seems like it had so much potential because it's built to make people get excited about the project. Most of that stuff was likely created specifically for that trailer with no intention of ever being integrated into the actual game.

Also, gratuitous slowing down of audio annndd vviiidddeeeeoooooooo!
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I think that the main prequel aspect was handled badly, but I enjoyed the level design, the mirror mechanic, some of the graphics and music, and Travis' personal story with his parents. Better than 4 or Homecoming in my opinion.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
AngelValtiel
Just Passing Through

Post by AngelValtiel »

Origins for me did a better job than Homecoming and SM.
Still kinda sucked.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

That trailer was damn amazing!
I'm kinda pissed now that some of that stuff didn't make it into the game! :evil:
Still loved Origins regardless.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

This game would've been much better if it was about Travis' story and nothing else.
No Alessa, no Lisa, no Kaufmann, no Dahlia, no Cult. Only about Travis, just like SH2 was all about James.

Also: No Sanitarium. Worst level ever made. So boring. . .
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

^^^ Kind of defeats the purpose of... y'knoow. ORIGINS though. I wasn't big on the Travis story anyways, was kind of spoon fed, and the cult is really half the reason i kept playing anyways.

I do agree on the Sanitarium though, I wasn't big on the theatre either.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

The Sanitarium is a level that could have been really good fun if they hadn't made it so you had to go all the way round the entire building every time you wanted to go up or down a floor.

As for the Theatre, the stage area itself was quite cool but the rest of it was pretty dull and the Ariels were just annoying.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

I agree totally with that statement. I have a huge boner for abandoned buildings, and asylums and hospitals in particular. They could have done so much more with the Sanitarium but decided not to which was dissapointing.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

0rigins was the first game in the series I completed: I became stuck in Toluca Prison in SH2, and nobly/stubbornly refused all help regarding the Door to Eclipse in SH1. For a year. Seriously, a year.
I'm glad I played through SH0 first, and I think it's a great introduction into the series. Its plot was simple, but intriguing, the puzzles didn't hold you up for five torturous hours/365 days- all in all it felt like (although I don't know how there could ever be such a thing) an average Silent Hill game. I vaguely image that would be a 8/10. Not too shabby then.

I dearly wish Climax UK had been in charge of the project from the start-we may (may, I said may-don't jump down my throat) have had a story on a par with SHSM, alongside traditional, more explorative gameplay. Match made in heaven in my book.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Mephisto wrote:

Also: No Sanitarium. Worst level ever made. So boring. . .
What? So I am I the only guy who thought the Sanitarium was the best level in the game? To me it was Silent Hill's return to GOOD level design after 3 and 4. It was lengthy and complex and actually utilized most of the building, unlike Brookhaven Hospital and ESPECIALLY the mall (god the map might as well have been a third the size). The mirror mechanic wasn't done badly (love the door locked only on one side and you use the mirror to get to the other side), the puzzle with the dolls was the game's best imo, and finding the jocasta amulet and hearing the music play was great. Hospital was pretty bad, theater was okay, motel was quite good my second favorite and also the scariest to me, nightmare at end was mostly fmv and a straight path and not really a "level".
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Doctor Eggnog wrote: So I am I the only guy who thought the Sanitarium was the best level in the game?
I'm not a guy, but I really like the sanitarium, too. It was a little frustrating the first time through, but I appreciate it for the reasons you said, and the fact that it was pretty much the scariest environment in the game for me.

As for Origins' potential? Well, I could go into an explanation of what I think would've made it better, but the important thing is that I find Origins to be a good game as it is. I actually really enjoy it.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^The CGS level was the best in the game IMO. None of the other levels even came close. I loved the massive layout and the strange feeling of being in such a maze when only like 10 doors could even be opened. The mirror mechanic also was at its best in CGS, it was sort of an afterthought in the other places but only really made sense in CGS because that was where Helen was thus would be where it would make the most sense to be.