Worried that Downpour will be too "casual."

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: Worried that Downpour will be too "casual."

Post by Yuki »

KiramidHead wrote:There's one thing that I want: no matter the difficulty level, keep the save rooms and puzzle rooms enemy free. Also, make the enemy respawns either limited or nonexistent. If the monsters are going to be as tough as the previews indicate, I want the ability to at least make sure that they stay dead when I risk fighting them.
OH GOD MONSTERS SPAWNING IN A SAVE ROOM NOOOO

Now that would be scary, but in a bad, frustrating way. I wouldn't want to boot up my game AND SUDDENLY MONSTERS.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

I have a real issue with continuously spawning enemies caused largely by my completionist mentality. I find it really difficult to progress in a game whilst there's still enemies standing so respawning enemies can cause me to get stuck at a point in a game for a long time. Admittedly that's my fault, not really the game's.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

And it all started with those bug things coming out of those tubes in Metroid. Thanks, Metroid!
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

So that's one more grievance against Nintendo added to the list. I remember reading about there being infinite respawns in Homecoming, but I never really noticed them, myself.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Well, Metroid is, and always will be, infinitely better than Silent Hill: Homecoming. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Not exactly my point, but okay. A game being good doesn't excuse infinite amounts of respawns.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

And on the other hand, the whole "don't worry gamer, if you die there's no penalty, we wouldn't want you to feel bad" mentality might've originated with Castlevania 2, Simon's Quest for the NES. The funny thing about that game is that you have unlimited continues, and if you die, you literally are brought back to life on the exact same spot you were standing. The only penalty was that you lose all your money; but since you get the best weapon about 1/3 of the way through, it's completely irrelevant. Of course, it was still kind of a hard game because some of the puzzle solutions were so obscure as to virtually require a hint guide. But of course we all had Nintendo Power back in the day, so we didn't really care.

So yeah, Dead Space and Amnesia are the Castlevania 2 of modern horror games. Thanks, Castlevania 2!
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

At least Amnesia is scary, which more than I can say for the portion of Dead Space I actually played through. Fucking meteorite shooting minigame put me off finishing it.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

KiramidHead wrote:At least Amnesia is scary, which more than I can say for the portion of Dead Space I actually played through. Fucking meteorite shooting minigame put me off finishing it.
Amnesia has great atmosphere. But the total lack of reprocussions for dying really hurt the scare factor for me. After awhile, the game becomes: "Oh, look a monster. Maybe I'll try to halfheartedly run away. Oh did it kill me? Whatever, I respawn and the monster's gone and I keep all the items I just found. Anyway moving on..."
clips

Post by clips »

^^^Dead Space is a sci-fi horror game....the events that happened on that ship because of the outbreak (the meteor mini-game segment included) all made sense.....i think you should try finishing Dead Space...it really is a highly polished game.

^^*that post was for Kira*
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I haven't finished Dead Space either... I think I'm on chapter 3 right now. I have to admit, it's a very nicely designed, polished game, even if I don't really like the story, characters, or think it's scary at all. I probably will try to finish it at some point.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

From what i played of amnesia i didn't find it that scary, my friend was freaking out though. Dead space isn't really scary either, it has some nice atmosphere at some parts but for the most part it's just not that scary. It's still a fun game though, i didn't play it expecting to be scared, it's more of an action sci fi game with a horror theme. Still a really fun game though.
CondescendingMan
Just Passing Through

Post by CondescendingMan »

Tillerman wrote:
CondescendingMan wrote:I must say i would love Silent hill more if it had a little bit more save points but not so few that I get my dick smashed by a hammer before I can save. I think having more frequent save points could do us well. A game can still be hard if you have a fair amount of save points. I don't want to have to reload my entire game just because I died. I really hope for boss fights you can skip the cut scene after the second go round or hades even the first. Now go ahead and stone the pariah if ye wish.
No, that's okay. Would you be okay with number of save points being tied to difficulty?
Actually thats Brilliant. So yes yes I would. That should be there. Makes perfect sense really.
If darkness fowls your water clean. Drink it anyway its not obscene.
If lost and shrowded in the fog don't respond to the barks of dogs.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ Yeah it kinda does. I mean difficulties change the number of health items, bullets, puzzles, and monsters. Why not save points?

I'd like a couple of added rooms on the harder difficulties that maybe contain a memo with some info that expands the story a little but it's full of monsters. Which wouldn't be a problem on easy mode, and then people would just avoid the room on harder difficulties, but that's not the case here...
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

i think that limited number of saves on Dead Space 2 is related to it's most difficult setting. they don't have it set up that way on hard, it's on hardcore or something.

anyway, the first dead space is really good. pretty decent story, nice atmosphere, but the game isn't really all that scary. it makes you tense up at times, though. im looking fwd to getting the 2nd game after i get through a few old & new games i need to complete.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

The second Dead Space is not as good as the first, although this is just my personal opinion since everyone else seems to love it.

I just couldn't help but think that they really wanted "The Sprawl" to be "Rapture" from Bioshock, it was genuinely painful sometimes to see how obviously copied it was.

I didn't even start to enjoy the game untill
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
you finally get back on the Ishimura, which is like, chapter 10 or something.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:I'd like a couple of added rooms on the harder difficulties that maybe contain a memo with some info that expands the story a little but it's full of monsters. Which wouldn't be a problem on easy mode, and then people would just avoid the room on harder difficulties, but that's not the case here...
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Difficulty level should change more than just basic stuff like monster damage, why not throw in some extra rooms or extra items too? Maybe even an extra ending that is only achievable in hard mode. Y'know, give people an incentive to play it!
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I don't think story line stuff should depend on the difficulty. That's really not fair to the players who don't normally play on the higher difficulties. There's a lot of people who play it just for the story, and really don't want extreme challenge.
clips

Post by clips »

KiramidHead wrote:I don't think story line stuff should depend on the difficulty. That's really not fair to the players who don't normally play on the higher difficulties. There's a lot of people who play it just for the story, and really don't want extreme challenge.

Haha...this is me in a nutshell...i can't be bothered to play the games at higher difficulties or play them to achieve trophy's/achievements...i don't care about that stuff....i usually just play the games at normal difficulty, and i seem to get the perfect balance and enjoyment most of the time i play on normal difficulty.

I understand why folks play at the higher difficulties tho, and i get the achievement/trophy's thing, but it's just not for me.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I tend not to go above normal. In SH1, for example, I tried playing on hard and got killed by the first enemy in the school. That sucked.