Midwich Elementary School build project in Minecraft

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

How should I go about the alternate school design?

Poll ended at 20 Feb 2011

Use Minecraft's existing materials to make an abstract version.
No votes
Attempt some new textures to match alternate Midwich accurately.
57%
Either one works for me.
29%
Quit while your ahead.
14%

Total votes: 7

Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Midwich Elementary School build project in Minecraft

Post by Tillerman »

I really hope that you'll be offering this map (and the textures) for download, I would love to check it out!
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

First off, that's beyond awesome man. Hell of a job.
Second: Minecraft graphics make SH's psx graphics look Godly again.
Chakker
Just Passing Through

Post by Chakker »

Sorry for a lack of updates recently. I have been busy with a lot of stuff but I should get some more work done on the project this week. To answer the previous posts, this map WILL be put up when it is finished, either as a public server that people can join, or as a download for people to check out themselves. I'm not sure which yet. The textures will also be available so that when you are exploring the alternate school it won't look like a whole lot of gold and sponge. =D

Unfortunately right now there is a lot of glitchiness due to the fact that Minecraft apparently treats all of the opaque blocks in the game a little different than glass. I made my metal grating texture by replacing an unused opaque texture with a transparent one. Since the game expects these blocks to be opaque, it does something strange where you can not see any adjacent blocks through the metal grate texture I made. It instead creates a strange x-ray effect. This does not create a big problem for the floor, but there are several places in the game where there is metal grating on the wall.

I will continue constructing the school regardless, and either just hope that in some future update that Minecraft will include some kind of option to add your own new blocks where I can set some kind of modifier so the game treats it like "glass", or I will have to figure out if it will be feasible to learn how to modify the code myself and turn this into a full on mod. Though I know nothing of how to do that. Otherwise if there is no way around it, I will have to make a second metal grating texture that is filled with black instead of transparency to use for special situations.

Anyway hopefully by this weekend there should be a new post with some new pics of progress for anyone who is interested.

Thanks everyone
I'm gonna make a killing opening a radio repair shop in this town.

My Silent Hill Minecraft Project
pepazdepa
Just Passing Through

Post by pepazdepa »

So damn awesome. :-) Looking forward to when it is ready (hopefully for download with those great custom textures :-) )
willcharlie04
Just Passing Through

Post by willcharlie04 »

Hey, I could help you out if you decide to do more than midwitch if you want. I don't have minecraft right now, but I will in a few months. I do play Silent Hill a lot, and have been planning on recreating at least one part of it when I get minecraft.
Factory Bastard
Just Passing Through

Post by Factory Bastard »

Whoa, that's pretty much spot on for what Minecraft has. One time, I tried to replicate Alchemilla hospital on a free server and it was pretty much a mess haha. Really good job man!
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Holy shit, great job, dude. That must have taken hours.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
greenrizz
Just Passing Through

Post by greenrizz »

Wow incredible! I know how long it takes to build a full scale basic structure in minecraft (looooong time), let alone build two full scale replica's of midwich elementary...Epic stuff carry on dude. Any chance of a video walk through of the versions soon?
Thats what she said...
heavensnightsh
Historical Society Historian

Post by heavensnightsh »

Incredibly awesome! You put some serious time and love in to this and it shows :D
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
Chakker
Just Passing Through

Post by Chakker »

greenrizz wrote:Wow incredible! I know how long it takes to build a full scale basic structure in minecraft (looooong time), let alone build two full scale replica's of midwich elementary...Epic stuff carry on dude. Any chance of a video walk through of the versions soon?
Yes actually, my exact plan was when I finish the project to see if I can't upload a little video walkthrough with some silent hill background music that essentially follows the same path you would take when going through the school in the game. Then once the video is up I'd have the level up either as an open server for people to check out, or a download for people to mess with themselves, or both.

Unfortunately it might take a little time still because my free time has dropped significantly. I started a new full time job on top of my part time job so no more staying up till 7 in the morning working on this... at least till the weekend. Part of my reason for not making a big update recently is because of problems I'm running into with my alternate world textures. I need to either learn how to mod the game, hope Notch makes some kind of update in the future to add your own blocks, or make my metal grating texture a little less cool =\

Anyway starting the new job and other "real life" crap has taken a lot of my time lately but I want to get back to work on this. Hopefully there should be some kind of update (with some screens I hope) this week. Please check back people. I'm not giving up that's for sure!
I'm gonna make a killing opening a radio repair shop in this town.

My Silent Hill Minecraft Project