Official: Adelaide Clemens and Kit Harington to star

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Re: Official: Adelaide Clemens and Kit Harington to star

Post by lain of the wired »

Yuki wrote:Perhaps it's because you seemed a lot more incensed that the costume isn't the exact same, where the people who said "now if they can just give her freckles" had simply said "Hey, she had freckles, but if they give her that she'd be absolutely perfect". The comments I saw on that seemed a lot calmer than yours read to me.
lain of the wired wrote:I'm perfectly willing to accept that I may be the only one who cares (and apparently I am, from the way people are jumping on me about it), but I do still maintain that when people get small, easy stuff wrong, there's some cause to worry about the big stuff they may also screw up. I mean, it's not the only thing I'm concerned about, but other people already addressed that stuff. The kung-fu mention, for instance... wow.
I thought my initial statement was being calm, as were my subsequent posts.
jdnation wrote:You can make an observation and even not like the new costume and rag on it, but to claim that it's a sign that the movie's production is intent on messing the entire thing up on purpose is a ridiculous stretch. And no, other video game movies have never kept costumes EXACTLY the same. There have always been minor alterations here and there even in the most faithful ones from Tomb Raider to Mortal Kombat to Max Payne to DOOM.
Wow, is that what you thought I said? That they're going to wreck everything? Intentionally, no less? No wonder you're up in arms about it. Damn, that's not what I meant at all. How did you read "why make such a ridiculous change in something so easy to make right?" and get "THEY ARE RUINING EVERYTHING!!"? I'm not mocking- I genuinely want to know, cause if that's how I really came across, I don't know how to fix it, as I'm very much certain I didn't say that.

Look, it doesn't have to be identical, but there's a difference between making things realistic and completely changing them (something I'm familiar with having done the whole costume design thing for a few years now). That's all. I read through the previous posts before mine- all four pages, like we're supposed to- where people expressed concerns (again, Heather does kung-fu now?), and where the change was a minor bit of confusion before, only after gathering other peoples' concerns did it become concern. By itself, no, it's not a point of concern, and I certainly didn't say it was a sign they were out to ruin the whole thing.
The Adversary wrote:I remember people getting mad at me for having a problem with the first movie's street names. They were all off. There wasn't any reason for the change.
Facepalm.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I honestly think Clemens was kidding about the kung fu training. She was talking about how the role was more physical than what she's done before. Seriously, we need to stop panicking over the smallest remarks.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

lain of the wired wrote: if they can't get something that minor right, it makes me very worried about the major stuff they can fuck up.
I'm guessing it was this line that got misinterpreted, Lain.

It could be read as though you believe that the reason the costume is different from that in the game is due to incompetence, whereas it's far more likely just down to a choice made by the costume designers.

In fact the costume suggests to me that they took the time to look at the original outfit, decide what they liked and disliked and then made alterations which are in keeping with the spirit of in game Heather, but not identical. To me, this seems like they actually thought a lot about the costume, so I see that as a good thing, not a reason to worry that they might cock up other stuff.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I believe the idea behind the streets is to name them after people from the horror genre<
They weren't renamed. They were moved around. If a production team is going to fixate on accuracy, it should be accurate, not just kinda right. That's my point regarding lain of the wired's comment.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

^That. This forum usually is hyper-focused on details and how they affect the overall meaning of... well, everything. If they did something like this in the games, we'd lose our shit. It's confusing that suddenly attention to details is dismissed and ok with the fans just because there's a change in the media format.

@stopped_clock: I'm fine with that as a concept in costume making (looking for inspiration rather than recreation), I've done it myself. But again, above paragraph. It's weird given the circumstances/material. Also, I'm still not sure when I said they were deliberately gonna mess stuff up. But yes, thank you for clarifying.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

lain of the wired wrote:This forum usually is hyper-focused on details and how they affect the overall meaning of... well, everything. If they did something like this in the games, we'd lose our shit. It's confusing that suddenly attention to details is dismissed and ok with the fans just because there's a change in the media format.
People had plenty of issues with the first movie, though. I don't think all of them were the atypical "OMG! It's not exactly like the first game in every single fucking way! WTF?!?!?!" variety, but even passing fans were confused by certain aspects of it. Maybe they've just gotten used to the fact that the movies are going to be so very, very different. Idk.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

lain of the wired wrote:
Yuki wrote:Perhaps it's because you seemed a lot more incensed that the costume isn't the exact same, where the people who said "now if they can just give her freckles" had simply said "Hey, she had freckles, but if they give her that she'd be absolutely perfect". The comments I saw on that seemed a lot calmer than yours read to me.
lain of the wired wrote:I'm perfectly willing to accept that I may be the only one who cares (and apparently I am, from the way people are jumping on me about it), but I do still maintain that when people get small, easy stuff wrong, there's some cause to worry about the big stuff they may also screw up. I mean, it's not the only thing I'm concerned about, but other people already addressed that stuff. The kung-fu mention, for instance... wow.
I thought my initial statement was being calm, as were my subsequent posts.
jdnation wrote:You can make an observation and even not like the new costume and rag on it, but to claim that it's a sign that the movie's production is intent on messing the entire thing up on purpose is a ridiculous stretch. And no, other video game movies have never kept costumes EXACTLY the same. There have always been minor alterations here and there even in the most faithful ones from Tomb Raider to Mortal Kombat to Max Payne to DOOM.
Wow, is that what you thought I said? That they're going to wreck everything? Intentionally, no less? No wonder you're up in arms about it. Damn, that's not what I meant at all. How did you read "why make such a ridiculous change in something so easy to make right?" and get "THEY ARE RUINING EVERYTHING!!"? I'm not mocking- I genuinely want to know, cause if that's how I really came across, I don't know how to fix it, as I'm very much certain I didn't say that.

Look, it doesn't have to be identical, but there's a difference between making things realistic and completely changing them (something I'm familiar with having done the whole costume design thing for a few years now). That's all. I read through the previous posts before mine- all four pages, like we're supposed to- where people expressed concerns (again, Heather does kung-fu now?), and where the change was a minor bit of confusion before, only after gathering other peoples' concerns did it become concern. By itself, no, it's not a point of concern, and I certainly didn't say it was a sign they were out to ruin the whole thing.
The Adversary wrote:I remember people getting mad at me for having a problem with the first movie's street names. They were all off. There wasn't any reason for the change.
Facepalm.
This post is what I was referring to:
lain of the wired wrote:
Numb Body01 wrote:If you ask me she doesn't look too much like Heather at all but the costume (from what we can see) looks perfect.
...but it doesn't.

In the game, it's a white vest with a white hood and a sleeveless orange turtleneck underneath. The movie made it a white vest with no hood and a long sleeved orange hoodie underneath. I don't understand... it's a super simple outfit, and they changed it? Why did they change it? They didn't change Jill Valentine or Lara Croft! Is she wearing pants and sneakers now, too?

It sounds very panicky, for very little reason; it's a slight costume change that still remains faithful to the design of the original. The movie and the game are separate entities; Bassett wants to bring the film more along the lines of the games, but he doesn't want it to be the exact same thing. I see no reason to criticize, at this point, because in my eyes the costume remains faithful while updating it a little bit.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Harry got a sex change and we are we are worried about a costume change? It's a petty gripe, with little to no baring on how good or bad the movie will be. Just relax and wait for more details before we get all worked up.

Personally, I'm happy with it.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Lafayette_Reynolds wrote:I'm sorry but I think if Clemens wore Heather's exact outfit from the video game it would look kind of cheap and cartoonish.
also, who the fuck wears wristbands anymore? i don't need the outfits to match exactly. it's not cosplay we're talking about here. the outfit should look similar, but not be an exact duplicate of what Heather wore in game.

aside from that, i'm looking fwd to the film. the only thing i felt holding the first film back, was it's story. I'm somewhat confident that SH2 won't fail in that area.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Also, unless there are other pictures I am unaware of, we can only see the back of the costume, and it's a bit out of focus as well. Let's wait until we get a good picture of the costume before we pick it apart.

On another note, the street names complaint on the first movie was unbelievably petty and nitpicky.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

It sounds like a cult is back as favouritez said he heard townspeople shouting "THE DEMON! CALL THE REVEREND" but I'm not too sure about who they are, all the old townspeople became barbed wire soup, so I'm thinking maybe the town is messing with her OR a new cult (who followed the old ones teachings) have been sucked in to the town
capillaries
Just Passing Through

Post by capillaries »

I think that many of us feel a bit protective of Heather's outfit because she's not as sexed up as most of the video game female protagonists, and it's not that weird that we feel worried for how they would change it. To me, it still looks similar enough, that I'm not that concerned right now that they won't make it still true to Heather's character and that special feel we get for her throughout the game. but that's atleast why i think i atleast feel the costume design will matter more this time around, and that's why some of us react a little stronger, and i don't think that's too unreasonable.and i would really hate if they screwed it up. That said, I agree with what stopped_clock said about the costume actually suggests that they actually gave it a lot of thought.
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

Some unofficial photos of the set surfaced. Heather's outfit is pretty similar to the game version without being identical. It looks more modern and practical. She's wearing a mini skirt with dark leggings and the boots from the game, as well as the orange hoodie (appears to zip up) and white vest. One thing to keep in mind is that the look is very layered, and layers have been really popular in the last couple of years. It's basically just an update of the original outfit, really.

Edit: For those who'd like to see for themselves.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

In b4 wheelchairOMG lulz

She looks fine. I prefer trueness, but this isn't Silent Hill: Homecoming: No amount of bitching will change her appearance.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Nice scoop brew. Looks pretty damn similar to me, I'm happy.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Looks fine to me.

Then again, as long as they didn't put her in a catsuit (of any variety), I would've been happy.

I don't care if this movie is accurate to SH3: It's already striving for more accuracy than I expected or even really want. After all, if I want to see SH3 again, I'll just play it and save my money (actually, extreme accuracy to the game is the best way to ensure I'll never buy the ticket). I'm more concerned about whether this'll be a decent videogame movie or, even better, a decent movie-movie.
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

I don't know about you guys but I'm really, severely pissed off that she's not wearing the Princess Heart Costume.

;)
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Xev

Post by Xev »

haha The headgear alone would have me rolling.