2004 Silent Hill Script

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: 2004 Silent Hill Script

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

Thank you so much for providing Me with the original script ! I was trying so hard to get it but I couldn't but glad to get it here ! I only read on websites that there wasn't supposed to be a Chris Da Silva in the first place but Konami said : "there are no men !" so they writer decided to add a male role in the movie ... and the ending of the 6 Pyramid Heads that kill the cultists that was seen to be expensive to do so they replaced it with Alessa !

EDIT : 2 Hours Later : I READ THE ENTIRE SCRIPT IN LESS THAN TWO HOURS, God it's amazing !
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Thanks for the info, JKristine! Pretty interesting stuff!

Note: I didn't read the script, just JKristine's bulletpoints and the rest of the posts in the topic talking about certain things.

The whole bunch of Pyramids instead of Alessa/Samael thing is interesting, because it sounds much more like something which would happen in the games, but I much prefer the idea of Alessa/Samael and her barbed-wire justice. Spectacular scene.

I love the final movie. There are some scenes and ideas I'd have liked to see make the final cut, either mentioned in here or on the DVD/Blu-Ray, but these guys know how to make a movie better than I do, so they probably damaged the flow of the film or messed something else up or something, that's usually the reason a good scene is removed.
JKristine35 wrote:*Sharon and Dark Alessa are supposed to grab each other's hands before Sharon passes out
That kinda confirms my belief that Dark Alessa and Sharon 'merge' at the end of the movie. :)
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

Here's my impression: The script seemed to be basically the same as the finished film, aside from a few details and Chris getting more scenes in the final film. I like the idea of Sharon having a rare disease, and the faith healer bit was an interesting twist. One thing that kind of threw me was that Rose seemed to enter Silent Hill on accident, as there was no prior mention of the town in the script. I liked the monster variety better in the script, but I definitely prefer the filmed version of Anna's death scene, as the Otherworld shifts are a bit too frequent as the script stands. And in this version they actually suggest that Alessa had powers before the burning, which seriously clears up the whole demon thing. Also, the dialogue about how the cultists are actually Manicheans makes them just a bit more interesting in my opinion. Don't get me started on how creepy those blue eyes are! Final Analysis: While it's not quite as good as the unproduced Romero RE script, it definitely has some huge advantages over the finished film in terms of dialogue and overall storytelling.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

I love the final movie. There are some scenes and ideas I'd have liked to see make the final cut, either mentioned in here or on the DVD/Blu-Ray, but these guys know how to make a movie better than I do, so they probably damaged the flow of the film or messed something else up or something, that's usually the reason a good scene is removed.
Gans explains it in the French collector BluRay : they were late and the producers insisted that they wouldn' t pay for a single unscheduled day. Gans had to improvise a new ending scene since filming PH six separate times was impossible to achieve in only two days. Gans inspiration for that scene : the Urotsukidoji phallic tentacles ! (sorry, I couldn' t find a video with the original music)

As for Chris Da Silva, Gans didn' t want to show his side of the story for flow reasons. The producers insisted on it, they thought seeing a character more grounded in reality would help the viewers to relate to the story. When Gans saw the first cut of the movie his fears were confirmed : it damaged the flow of the movie. He thought the producers would realize it and ask for that part of the story to be removed ... but nope, they loved it.
*The script contains the cut scene of Anna being attacked by a Lying Figure
In one of the bonuses we see a short bit of that scene, they don' t make any comment about it though ...
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Quick question, btw: I'm not sure if deleted scenes and parts of the scripts that got cut really get to be counted as "canon..." They may well change the whole meaning of everything, but that doesn't change the final product. In the movie, Alessa was perfectly normal except that her dad was from somewhere else/a demon (?) and Dahlia wasn't married to him. It wasn't until she was burned and met the demon that she got any powers. It may be different in the original script, but the original script didn't make it to the movie. Do "intentions" still really count if they fail?
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The first hint of Alessa's powers are when the chain breaks during the burning, which was likely done by Alessa. She then wilts the flowers and burns the nurse. At that point, her soul splits and she creates Dark Alessa from the dark side of her soul. She's given the choice of whether she wants to give in to her own darkness (a devil on one shoulder choice, if you will), and she chooses to, causing her hatred to spread outwards from her, thus creating the Otherworld. So no, she doesn't show powers before she was burned in the finished product itself, but she does manifest them during the burning and in the hospital.
lain of the wired

...I didn't get that impression at all. Even knowing the games, had I only watched the movie, it looked more like chance karma that the chain broke and started the fire, and her pain and anger in survival chanced to attract the demon. That's how my boyfriend interpreted it, and he's never played SH1. I'm inclined to agree with his interpretation there.

But again, the question was: if it didn't make it to final cut, does it still count?
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Dark Alessa's dialogue during that scene suggests it was more than a mere accident, though I agree that it appears to be just random chance on first viewing. Also, Dark Alessa is not a demon, she's just the dark side of Alessa manifesting itself. The fact that Alessa wilted the flowers and burned the nurse before Dark Alessa ever showed up proves that she had her own powers.
As for your question, yes, official outside sources are still canon. Unless Bassett contradicts Alessa's having powers before the burning, the fact that the script says she did (plus that her wilting the flowers and stuff suggests she had some kind of inherent power) means she did.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Plus, it's fucking Alessa. Gans isn't THAT stupid, he's not going to chop off a perfectly good plot device for "lol demons".
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
lain of the wired

^Iunno- I kinda thought he was. I never got the impression that it was her own dark half: why else did it have to "come to her" as they represented it visually? Her darker nature took her over if anything, but it should've always been there, instead of just showing up after the burning...

Doesn't matter, though. I think I've been broken by the movies and the people who like them. Too much overwhelming apathy.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^It's not apathy. Many of us like the movie on it's own merits.
lain of the wired

I don't think you know what I was referring to in terms of "apathy." I liked the make-up work in the last movie, sure, but weird and inexplicable changes from the source stuff can still bother me, like changing the street names around- why do that? It's the apathy in the "series fans" towards stuff like that that I'm referring to. And that I'm developing simply from being beaten down for noticing.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I just don't see why something small like street names really matters. It's not like we're constantly looking at the map in the movie.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I just don't see why something small like street names really matters.<
Because it shows a) the filmmakers just don't care that much, and b) the people who notice and don't care are people who will buy into anything with the name Silent Hill attached to it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Don't care? They certainly put a lot of effort into getting the visuals and atmosphere right. Hell, Gans got the job by sending Konami a video explaining what Silent Hill meant to him. I don't appreciate the implied insult against the filmmakers and those who enjoy the film. It's uncalled for and just makes you look like a snob.
lain of the wired

...Aaaaaaaaand the reason I'm never coming back into the SH movie thread or seeing the next movie has been exemplified gorgeously. Thank you, KiramidHead: that was just too perfect.

In the game threads, knowing, for example, what street what building is on would be praised. In the movie thread, you're a snob for knowing it and recognizing when they changed something that didn't need changing.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

People who judge other people based on what movies they like deserve to be judged based on the shit they spew. :D
lain of the wired

Funny you should say that, troll, since I have two copies of the original movie from my early days of wanting to support them so they'd make a much better sequel. And for those who otherwise aren't clear on why I call a mere 2 day, 5 post member a troll, Mr. KingCrimson is stalking me now, apparently. Huzzah for screencaps and IP trackers!
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Knowing what streets are where and what buildings are on them is relevant to the game and deserving of praise, especially in SH1 where the map is damn hard to read, even when zoomed in. In the movie, it's even more minor of a detail, appearing for just a handful of seconds maybe two times in the entire in the film. Most of the names featured in the movie are from the games, and some are original. They're not in the same geographical locations from what we can tell, but what difference does it make? The SH in the movie is not exactly the same as the one in the games, and doesn't need to be. The movie may be based on SH1, but it's not a carbon copy.It's its own entity, and doesn't have to conform to every tiny detail of the games. I would also like to point out that I didn't call Adversary a snob because he knows all the street names, but because he pretty much insulted myself and everyone else who enjoys the film simply because we don't feel the need to bitch and moan over every tiny detail that got changed. It was unnecessary, and yes, snobbish.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I've hesitated to say anything before now because I genuinely like lain and didn't want to sound like I was picking an argument, but there is something I wanted to point out in response to lain's comments about not wanting to return to this part of the forum: I've been feeling the same way about the movie board, but for a very different reason: the whining. We barely even know anything about this movie, other than that it's obviously not supposed to be part of the game canon, yet it seems certain people are bitching about everything. I'm actually amazed at the negativity on this board, over a movie that's never claimed to be canon and that isn't even finished filming yet. I come here to discuss the sequel to my favorite movie, but it seems a lot of others are only hanging around this board to see what they can complain about next... :(