Lisa Garland: Nothing To See Here (Unmarked Spoilers Within)

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Shadow wrote:^If Dahlia wasn't the cult's leader, who was? How big was the cult anyway? How far did it's influence go? This is one of the reasons I like Silent Hill so much, when I think too much on its story, I end up with more questions than I started out with.
The order is fairly large, actually. This is shown by the many sects referenced in Homecoming and SH4. I believe that the sect Dahlia leads is the Holy Mother, much like Claudia. That's why they seek to birth God through the mother, Cheryl/Alessa, and Heather. Maybe another girl in a future SH game, though I don't see that happening lately,
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>How big was the cult anyway?<
By the time of Silent Hill, the Order wasn't terribly large, but "despite the fact that the religious cult to which Dahlia belongs is a secret society, [it has] come to possess the sort of structure and organizational capability that allows them to manufacture narcotics beyond the reach of police surveillance." Furthermore, "It can be surmised that the cult's influence grew over a period of seventeen years before the church was constructed."

So, it's not big, but big enough to influence people, until it becomes a more established religion.

>I believe that the sect Dahlia leads is the Holy Mother<
Dahlia belongs to the Sect of the Holy Woman.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I believe that the sect Dahlia leads [. . .]
Dahlia don't rule anything. She was just a high ranking member, like Leonard Wolf.

Also, one of the leaders of the Order was Jimmy Stone a.k.a The Red Devil.

I believe Toby Archbolt would take his place as leader of the Valtiel sect but both of 'em died. . .
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I've been wondering for some time whether "sect" is really the appropriate word to describe the Holy Woman, Holy Mother, and Valtiel organizations.

"Sect" usually implies an adversarial relationship. At best, sects merely tolerate each other's existence. The group that split off and moved to Shepherd's Glen fits the model of a sect separate from the Order.

Meanwhile, the Holy Woman, Holy Mother, and Valtiel organizations are shown to be interdependent. They seem to share the same theology, but place different emphases on the most important factor. Their relationship seems more akin to (albeit not the same as) the various monastic orders in the Catholic Church. Wouldn't it be more accurate to describe them in that way?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

"The Sect of Valtiel, centered around Jimmy Stone, a priest with an alias 'Red Devil,' was a faction that worshipped Valtiel as the one close to god and also an executioner.
The Sect of Valtiel was also responsible for the intermediation of the Sect of the Holy Woman and the Sect of the Holy Mother, which were in opposition to each other." —Joseph Schreiber, July 7

They are officially known as sects, as well.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Yeah, I know, and I guess I shouldn't argue with that.

Still... it doesn't seem right. :?
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Then you can blame that on the developer's use of words then, it seems okay to me.
Droo

Re: Lisa Garland: Nothing To See Here (Unmarked Spoilers Wit

Post by Droo »

I always felt that while they maintain a form of relationship to one another, the different Silent Hill sects are somewhat adversarial to each other. They're just not as completely fractured and hostile as The Holy Way.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Lisa Garland: Nothing To See Here (Unmarked Spoilers Wit

Post by Silent_Storm »

I have to agree it did seem they forgot about her after the Rose Room and her purpose in the game seemed unclear
However it shows how much her time spent caring for Alessa and using White Claudia changed her personality
What's the big deal - Laura