Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

The-Dark-Avenger
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Post by The-Dark-Avenger »

UndeadFishtank wrote:
The-Dark-Avenger wrote:Didn't really like fighting the Order members, and didn't like how it says "Turn off your flashlight and enemies won't see you" only seems to work on Nurses, so that tip was pointless.
Also i'm not a big fan of the multiple ending thing, I usually like a solid canon ending, but from what I can tell all SH games are like this so no biggy.
Yeah, it's something that they like to include. However, in my opinion, the other games do a better job with multiple endings, so if this is the first SH game you've played, don't be put off by it. :)
Yeah it is my first and wish I could experience the other SH games but here in the UK it's next to impossible to find a ps2.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

The-Dark-Avenger wrote: Yeah it is my first and wish I could experience the other SH games but here in the UK it's next to impossible to find a ps2.
SH2, 3 and 4 are all available on pc if you really can't get your hands on a ps2.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Homie
Just Passing Through

Post by Homie »

- the story (too simple)
- implementation of the "monsters"
- gore (doesnt fit for silent hill!)
- a bit too much movie adapted style
!!! "Tribute to SILENT HILL" !!! Fansoundtrack OUT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAqUCimHF1c
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

Things I didn't like where.....

Pyramid Head - No reason to be there.

Wheeler - Useless he is one of the reasons this game isn't as good as it could have been.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
He should have died in the police station then he should have died in the "gas chamber" but how did he know it was a gas chamber? Then he randomly shows up at the end, then he should have died there Then he is never seen again. Fucking Wheeler.
The ending
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
They just leave in fact all the endings are abrupt and suck.
Too many movie refrences.

Game felt well made up till the mid/ end felt rushed towards the end.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
an a corpse cant laugh =)
Just Passing Through

Post by an a corpse cant laugh =) »

Just started playing through this again lately (STILL waiting for the HD remakes of 2,3 an 4 on PSN!grrrr)
anyway i just wanna say i really think some of the ideas in homecoming are great
but for all the great ones theres a ton of bad ones (we all know what they are)
but do you think some of the bad ones are due to konami pushing them forward?
im thinking more towards the cosmetic side
e.g the reused movie references (nurses,pyramid head the actual town etc)
sorry if this has been discussed before
if so ignore me =)
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

I doubt Konami would have pushed them to make it look like the (shit) movie.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

Was I the only person who could actually see anything in Homecoming? Except for you-know-where? Really, I was the only person who played the game and could actually see? Fascinating!

But, seriously....the lighting wasn't as bad as everyone said it would be. I was expecting half of the game to be pitch black from the way everyone was harping on it. Do you remember how dense the fog was in the streets of 3 after you actually made it to Silent Hill? Smaller "level" I know, but nobody ever dogs on that....

And yes, it's pretty painful to have to defend Homecoming.........
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
an a corpse cant laugh =)
Just Passing Through

Post by an a corpse cant laugh =) »

BlackRose wrote:I doubt Konami would have pushed them to make it look like the (shit) movie.
whether you think its shit or not it makes sense from a business point of view
they would want it too appeal to as many people as possible
you know the whole you`ve watched the movie now play the game kinda thing
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

an a corpse cant laugh =) wrote:
BlackRose wrote:I doubt Konami would have pushed them to make it look like the (shit) movie.
whether you think its shit or not it makes sense from a business point of view
they would want it too appeal to as many people as possible
you know the whole you`ve watched the movie now play the game kinda thing
True. I just find it hard to believe that they'd want people to think that's what Silent Hill's about (the movie).
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
Anxiety Sponge, MD
Just Passing Through

Post by Anxiety Sponge, MD »

I liked Homecoming, but there were several things that really ticked me off.

1) Glitches
I hit this glitch in the sewers before the Siam battle. I actually had to restart the entire game. Later, online, I found that this is a common glitch. Though SH4 had the Walter-walking-in-circles glitch, at least that was harmless to the gameplay. This really frustrated me.

2) Inventory
I hated how the most powerful healing item was on top and if you released the inventory button, it used the item automatically. I would waste the best healing item for absolutely no reason.

3) Story
They had real potential here with a solider going to Silent Hill, but for some reason, they chose not to follow through with it very well. I liked the idea of sacrifices, but in the end, it was a huge let down. Plus, I didn't feel the connection between me and the characters like other games.

4) Graphics
I was a bit disappointed. For something on the PS3, I expected better graphics than the previous installments.
See you in hell, cupcake.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^uh, the graphics are better than the previous games. if anything, you're arguing art direction, but the graphics in Homecoming are clearly better. the only thing that i'll say was piss poor in SH:H were certain textures on characters (like hair), and this was mainly a problem for the women. the only character that stuck out like a sore thumb to me was Curtis. he just looked... odd.

The lighting wasn't really bad in the game, it just required you to have your TV settings perfectly adjusted to see the game as it's meant to be seen. i remember when i first got Homecoming, i could barely see anything. then i adjusted my TV's brightness/contrast and noticed that i had them turned down WAY too low.
demonchild777
Just Passing Through

Post by demonchild777 »

The new game is lacking,blood and darkness. Also miss the killing stomp. The game mimics the movie as the world changes. But I liked that. The movie ruled. Yes I own and have played every game in the series on PS systems.
demonchild777
Just Passing Through

Post by demonchild777 »

Anxiety Sponge, MD wrote:I liked Homecoming, but there were several things that really ticked me off.

1) Glitches
I hit this glitch in the sewers before the Siam battle. I actually had to restart the entire game. Later, online, I found that this is a common glitch. Though SH4 had the Walter-walking-in-circles glitch, at least that was harmless to the gameplay. This really frustrated me.

2) Inventory
I hated how the most powerful healing item was on top and if you released the inventory button, it used the item automatically. I would waste the best healing item for absolutely no reason.

3) Story
They had real potential here with a solider going to Silent Hill, but for some reason, they chose not to follow through with it very well. I liked the idea of sacrifices, but in the end, it was a huge let down. Plus, I didn't feel the connection between me and the characters like other games.

4) Graphics
I was a bit disappointed. For something on the PS3, I expected better graphics than the previous installments.

I totally agree about the health thing.
I never encountered glitches. Not to say they weren't there.
Anxiety Sponge, MD
Just Passing Through

Skele wrote:^uh, the graphics are better than the previous games. if anything, you're arguing art direction, but the graphics in Homecoming are clearly better. the only thing that i'll say was piss poor in SH:H were certain textures on characters (like hair), and this was mainly a problem for the women. the only character that stuck out like a sore thumb to me was Curtis. he just looked... odd.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm definitely no expert on these things, so everything that has to do with how a game looks is called graphics. Sometimes the shadows seemed off and the hair looked odd, or there were jumps in animation that I didn't notice in the previous games. They're just minor things and I don't have a big issue with them, but it's something I noticed.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

Anxiety Sponge, MD wrote: Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm definitely no expert on these things, so everything that has to do with how a game looks is called graphics.
I have just the thing for you to watch!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Aesthetics

There is a lot of personal bias that goes into the video in regards to what's "good" or not, but the terminology is more what I was posting this for.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Besides the combat, some wonky textures (oh god, Judge Halloway, your face and hair), and the fact that every single monster got a cinematic reveal, I honestly have to say one thing I didn't like and that disappointed me (perhaps irrationally) was that in promotional and supplementary material there was this perceived connection between Alex and Mary.

Originally they had the same spelling of the last name, I believe, and myself and several others were thinking while trailers were still going around that, perhaps, Alex was Mary's brother. Thus, Alex was also James' brother-in-law. I was sad this was stopped midway through development (any sort of connection to Mary was dropped even though it was touched upon in one of Alex's supplemental journals, I believe) and there was no connection there at all. It made me kind of sad. I was hoping for another neat little connection like how in SH4 James' father is the owner of the apartment building. Could that mean Henry and James saw each other once or twice in passing? That's neat.

It's minor, I realize, but I already touched on what I didn't like in detail in another thread here so I didn't want to sound like a broken record.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Anxiety Sponge, MD
Just Passing Through

Typographenia wrote:
Anxiety Sponge, MD wrote: Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm definitely no expert on these things, so everything that has to do with how a game looks is called graphics.
I have just the thing for you to watch!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Aesthetics

There is a lot of personal bias that goes into the video in regards to what's "good" or not, but the terminology is more what I was posting this for.
That video is perfect. Thanks :)
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

SilentWren wrote:Was I the only person who could actually see anything in Homecoming? Except for you-know-where? Really, I was the only person who played the game and could actually see? Fascinating!

But, seriously....the lighting wasn't as bad as everyone said it would be. I was expecting half of the game to be pitch black from the way everyone was harping on it. Do you remember how dense the fog was in the streets of 3 after you actually made it to Silent Hill? Smaller "level" I know, but nobody ever dogs on that....

And yes, it's pretty painful to have to defend Homecoming.........
I was unable to see most of the time in several buildings, especailly the hotel. I turned the rightrness to max, which made the people look really weird in scenes. Oh, and the foggy streets in SH3? Those sucked. There, I dogged on em. They just werern't as big a problem.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

My main gripes were with the hyper-sexualized nurses (they seemed out of place), Alex being too powerful in melee combat, and the fan-fiction caliber story. Oh, and the Order showing up. Fuck them.

Those were my only gripes, but they're enough to take the game down a few pegs in my opinion. I didn't have a problem with the lighting. The only part that I can remember being close to being too dark was the hotel. And really, that was kind of the point. The oppressive darkness added to the atmosphere, and never really interfered with my ability to navigate the area.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
HenryTownshend
Just Passing Through

Post by HenryTownshend »

The inventory system is the only problem I have with this game. The fact that it copies some stuff from the movie makes it even better like the transition to the otherworld.