Is This Game Killing Silent Hill?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Is This Game Killing The Silent Hill Franchise?

Poll ended at 29 Jan 2010

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 142

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: Is This Game Killing Silent Hill?

Post by Yuki »

Tillerman wrote:
Yuki wrote:This. People seem to think that Team Silent was one set team that did all the first three (if not four) games, but the fact is that they were not.
True, but it's not like the team was completely changed in between each game either. Some members stayed on, others left. I think that the evolution of team members working on the game was a lot more smooth and natural between the first 4 games than it was after that, when all of a sudden the games were thrown around to random studios. Of course, they still had Akira, so it wasn't completely random, but I think you have to admit that the first 4 games of the series have a consistency to them that is missing from all later games. So it's absolutely no wonder that the fanbase would become disenfranchised.

I personally don't think that any of the games after 4 were up to par, so I can understand why someone would lament "Team Silent's" absence. Actually, forget "Team Silent..." I just lament that the games aren't done in house at Konami anymore. But putting that aside, I still try to stay open minded about the newest game. I have heard some things about it that sound interesting, and I have heard some troubling things... we'll just have to wait until it comes out before making a judgment. But it's totally understandable that anyone would be keeping their expectations low at this point.
I can totally agree that keeping expectations low is a good thing, so we can be pleasantly surprised by whatever we get. I've not played Homecoming, so I can't quite comment on every Silent Hill game past the original four, but I think that Origins captures the atmosphere fairly well, and Shattered Memories got the core ideas (mindfuckery, twists, psychological connections and symbolism) pretty right even if it didn't scare me (though I do love that game). But the idea that there was one core Team Silent that could do no wrong is totally unfair to me... and I'm fairly sure I've read on this forum that EVERY game in the series, barring the first, has gotten bashed like crazy before people played it/accepted it.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Yuki wrote:and I'm fairly sure I've read on this forum that EVERY game in the series, barring the first, has gotten bashed like crazy before people played it/accepted it.
I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal opinions about all the games has stayed pretty constant. The only game my opinion has changed about is the first game, which has surpassed SH2 in my mind as my favorite of the series. Personally, I don't think any horror game has made the same impact that Silent Hill 1 made when it was first released. One of these days I hope a new game comes out that makes the same kind of impact, whether it be a Silent Hill game or not.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Tillerman wrote:
Yuki wrote:and I'm fairly sure I've read on this forum that EVERY game in the series, barring the first, has gotten bashed like crazy before people played it/accepted it.
I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal opinions about all the games has stayed pretty constant. The only game my opinion has changed about is the first game, which has surpassed SH2 in my mind as my favorite of the series. Personally, I don't think any horror game has made the same impact that Silent Hill 1 made when it was first released. One of these days I hope a new game comes out that makes the same kind of impact, whether it be a Silent Hill game or not.

I agree.....my views on the first four have been about the same as well...when i first played SH1.....i wanted more of it and when we recieved SH2 i was blown away by the graphics and the storyline at the time...i thought all four games was crafted masterfully....the art direction and the overall unique atmosphere of the series itself was maintained amazingly in the first four games.

Dead Space has had that impact on me as well....it was a true sci-fi horror game with great visuals and high production values with super smooth gameplay and a slick interface...both 1&2 are great games and i'm looking forward to more games from that franchise as well...
xhoney_vanityx
Just Passing Through

Post by xhoney_vanityx »

I've played through Shattered Memories, and tried to bare with it as much as I could. I just really didn't like it is what I've been trying to say. This title by no means 'KILLED' the series. It was just lacking, and clunky to me.

But that's just my opinion, don't take it too seriously. It annoys me that many of the fans on this site get so crazy whenever someone voices their opinion. I digress.
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I personally don't think this game is killing the series. I liked it because it brought some new things to the table, and it's fresh. I still like the older titles because they're classic and they're wonderful and all... But with the new games they're trying to do some different things, hoping to get new fans. So again, I don't think this game is killing the series... IMO lol.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Tillerman wrote:
I do agree that there hasn't been a horror game as impactful as Silent Hill yet, unfortunately.
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

I actually am beginning to like this game a lot more.

At first I was turned down at how Harry looked and Cheryl looked like a druggie.

But it took some time to grow on me. But it was kinda short imo.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

But it was kinda short imo.
As opposed to what other game in the series. :wink:

Though I agree, length is not this game's strong point. And relying too much on replayability is kind of a cheap way of lengthening your game. Anyhoo.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I always wondered why everyone was up Akira Yamaoka's butt about being, like, the essence of Silent Hill when it was Masahiro Ito who was the monster designer and one of the main reasons the designs and style of the games stayed so consistent through out the first 3-4.

But that's off topic.

Shattered Memories definitely had faults; it wasn't scary, it was only marginally atmospheric, it brought characters back we were familiar with, but despite them it still brought new things to the table and gave us something really new, unique and different from what we were used to and it was definitely right up where it should've been in the mindfuck department.

Basically, I agree with Yuki lol
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

xoxsnoof wrote:I always wondered why everyone was up Akira Yamaoka's butt about being, like, the essence of Silent Hill when it was Masahiro Ito who was the monster designer and one of the main reasons the designs and style of the games stayed so consistent through out the first 3-4.

But that's off topic.

Shattered Memories definitely had faults; it wasn't scary, it was only marginally atmospheric, it brought characters back we were familiar with, but despite them it still brought new things to the table and gave us something really new, unique and different from what we were used to and it was definitely right up where it should've been in the mindfuck department.

Basically, I agree with Yuki lol
Woohoo! I feel special. :D
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I do agree that there hasn't been a horror game as impactful as Silent Hill yet, unfortunately.
Forbidden Siren?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Also, Fatal Frame?
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Mmm... I've tried to play Siren and found the gameplay very clunky. Also, Fatal Frame hasn't done a good job of creeping me out. Yet. In both instances I haven't gotten far into the games so I am not a good judge but they definitely have a better creepy feel than, say, Resident Evil.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I haven't played Forbidden Siren, and whenever I've tried to play Fatal Frame I can't because the movement is so slow.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

While I do like the Fatal Frame series a lot, I don't think it's had quite the same impact on the gaming scene as Silent Hill.
Zeraylph wrote:But it was kinda short imo.
While all of the Silent Hills are relatively short, for some reason SM seems like the shortest of them all. I think that's because of the way the game is designed... you spend half of the game trying to plow throw areas as quickly as possible. It's also a highly linear game with almost zero exploration. It's no wonder the game seems so short.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Tillerman wrote: While all of the Silent Hills are relatively short, for some reason SM seems like the shortest of them all. I think that's because of the way the game is designed... you spend half of the game trying to plow throw areas as quickly as possible. It's also a highly linear game with almost zero exploration. It's no wonder the game seems so short.
It also cut out pretty much all of the fetch quests from the first game, where you'd have to search every nook and cranny of every single room and go through multiple rooms multiple times just to find a goddamn key.

To be honest, I loved how they streamlined Shattered Memories. It was a lot more intense than the others that I've played so far, simply because it took out the "Shit, I've not played in a few days, I don't remember what I need to do next, and ALL THESE HALLWAYS LOOK THE SAME" frustration.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think I took a bit longer on SM than I did on SH1. I beat SH1 in about 3 1/2 hours on my first try. Of course, there wasn't a results screen for SM, so I'm not positive.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I haven't played Forbidden Siren
There's Let's Plays of both games on lparchive.org. Watch those if you have to because it's scary as hell.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:
I haven't played Forbidden Siren
There's Let's Plays of both games on lparchive.org. Watch those if you have to because it's scary as hell.
I'll have to try that if I still can't find a copy sometime soon.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

It's going pretty cheap on Amazon, but I'm leery of a game that's supposed to be cheap with its difficulty.