how origins could have been better

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

mikefile
Gravedigger

Re: how origins could have been better

Post by mikefile »

AuraTwilight wrote:So why can't Origins do the same thing and refer to something besides what you would obviously assume? You're contradicting yourself
I'm not contradicting myself, I stated that most of the games aren't referring the obvious, not all of the games. This is where Origins gets its role.
AuraTwilight wrote:It's like you're entirely incapable of imagining what-if scenarios. It's only like that because that's how things happened in reality. If hypothetically Origins was developed without the Alessa story in mind, the above "simple fact" wouldn't be a fact. Are you dyslexic or something? I've been saying this for days now.

Fuck. Firstly, I get your freakin' hypothetical. I fucking get it. However, your hypothetical doesn't work either. And that's what I was trying to prove all this time. So, if your statement is hypothetical, nobody must argue? You're calling me dyslexic, while the argument keeps going like:

ME: Travis' story is a condition.
YOU: It's hypothetical.
ME. It still doesn't work. It's not a prequel then.
ME: Yes, but you can't call it Origins then..

I mean.. what are we talking about here??!

+ I don't know how, but the last statement didn't feel that hypothetical to me:
AuraTwilight wrote:Silent Hill has been known to do bait-and-switch promotions anyway, so why the fuck not make people think it's about the origins of the town and deliver a different story?
Is this hypothethical, Aura? No, it's you claiming that real Origins (not hypothetical Origins) could be about Travis. Am I wrong?
AuraTwilight wrote:Goddamn, I bet you hated Shattered Memories because it wasn't a perfect 1-for-1 remake of the first game. This is basically where your logic is leading you.
Screw you. SM is my 2nd favorite. Moreover, this really doesn't have anything to do with Origins.
PS. It's reimagining, not remake.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

^Don't let her get you so worked up... she's just trolling you. Don't take her arguments so seriously, nobody else does.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Fuck. Firstly, I get your freakin' hypothetical. I fucking get it. However, your hypothetical doesn't work either. And that's what I was trying to prove all this time. So, if your statement is hypothetical, nobody must argue? You're calling me dyslexic, while the argument keeps going like:
Well, from where i'm sitting, you're just shouting "But that's not how it is in reality!" and I haven't gotten any reason why Origins could've been written differently in a parallel universe as to have nothing to do with Alessa. All I've gotten is that "Origins wouldn't make sense unless it was about the origins of the town" but that can be taken care of by either dumping the name entirely or justifying it somehow.

It doesn't even have to fucking be called Origins, I'm just saying that you can take the plot of Origins, take out the part involving Alessa, and probably have a better game. Do you understand me now?
Screw you. SM is my 2nd favorite. Moreover, this really doesn't have anything to do with Origins.
PS. It's reimagining, not remake.
I know, and PS. I know. I was bringing that up because your arguments are commonly used by people in the fandom to hate things merely for being different from expectations.
^Don't let her get you so worked up... she's just trolling you. Don't take her arguments so seriously, nobody else does.
I'm not trolling, and you don't get to say that no one takes anyone's arguments seriously. You are REALLY not one to criticize in that regard, so unless you have something to contribute to the thread, refrain from commenting.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

AuraTwilight wrote: All I've gotten is that "Origins wouldn't make sense unless it was about the origins of the town" but that can be taken care of by either dumping the name entirely or justifying it somehow.
Not the town, but the game. And yes, I agree. That was my whole "dyslexic" point. It's just that, till now, all I've gotten from you is that the Origins could have worked better by simply excluding Alessa without any other changes.
AuraTwilight wrote:It doesn't even have to fucking be called Origins
Of course it doesn't. See? That would fix your hypothetical Origins that's not called Origins....
AuraTwilight wrote:I was bringing that up because your arguments are commonly used by people in the fandom to hate things merely for being different from expectations.
Hey! Not that kinda person. Don't rank me with those.
Tillerman wrote:Don't let her get you so worked up
Her? Wait.. You're a chick. WTF? ....... Oh shit. And during all of my tiresome arguments with ya I thought I was talkin' to a pissed motherfucker..
Plus, all of my "dudes" lines to you.. Wow.. Aura: sorry.. XD
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not the town, but the game. And yes, I agree. That was my whole "dyslexic" point. It's just that, till now, all I've gotten from you is that the Origins could have worked better by simply excluding Alessa without any other changes.
I've NEVER said that. I said the game would work better without Alessa, and kept mentioning how it could be reworked into something good. You just attacked the point and didn't even ask what reworking it would entail.
Of course it doesn't. See? That would fix your hypothetical Origins that's not called Origins....
I never said it had to be called Origins, either. I was just tangentially arguing that "Origins" could be justified since people kept barking "but it's called ORIGINS"
Hey! Not that kinda person. Don't rank me with those.
I'm not. I was trying to give you the warning that your logic makes you similar to them.

And I'm a guy. I'm not a "pissed motherfucker" though.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

AuraTwilight wrote: You just attacked the point and didn't even ask what reworking it would entail.
Usually, when someone attacks my point, I offer further details of how and why. Most of the time, from you, I only get a "No". Just an observation.
AuraTwilight wrote:I'm not a "pissed motherfucker" though.
Joke.
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

Tillerman wrote:^Don't let her get you so worked up... she's just trolling you. Don't take her arguments so seriously, nobody else does.
RE: "her"
Who's trolling who?
country matters
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Usually, when someone attacks my point, I offer further details of how and why. Most of the time, from you, I only get a "No". Just an observation.
I expressed my points earlier, you denied them without much of a rebuttal I could respond to, so all that left me is "Uh, no. Didn't you read what I said?" I'm not going to repeat myself.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I always liked entertaining the idea of Origins without Alessa and her baggage with the cult. Travis' backstory could've been fleshed out more without her and it would have appeared less like a side show. It would have had more room to grow into a captivating climax versus the flippy-floppy teeter totter it kind of was with Alessa's story.

There were times when playing that I had trouble figuring out what was in the spotlight more, or what was being stressed as more important, which kind of distracted me and confused me at points. In the end, I believe Alessa's story sort of dominated Travis', which I oddly enough was disappointed about, as much as I loved the first game.

If I had to re-imagine Origin's story differently than it is while keeping Alessa's stuff in, I'd certainly explore more aspects of her childhood leading up to the point Dahlia decides to roast her. Flowering out the whole situation surrounding Dahlia and Alessa's relationship would have helped, too. Didn't think about it before, but maybe some information on Alessa's birth or at least her father would have been nice.

I'd include Claudia in it, I'd explore more about what was going on with Dahlia (as I don't remember her in it much), and I'd reduce or delete Travis' backstory. This, or, regarding the latter point, I'd try and strike a more even balance between Travis' story and Alessa's. I'd make Alessa more sympathetic to Travis and less cool and standoffish, as it might give her more room to grow as a character and be less of a static...angry girl that's plotting and using Travis. Though...having Alessa be all mysterious was pretty appropriate, and she did have her motives, so changing that'd defeat most, if not all, of her purpose. And she and Travis did have a cool moment in the good ending where she just gives him an acknowledging stare, so the standoffishness paid off at that point for me.

Everyone else has pretty much ranted enough about the gameplay in my favor, so I'm not going into that. Damn that wretched Lisa model (for the ps2 version....)! I wish they could have kept the psp version. That would have at least improved it a little.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
HenryTownshend
Just Passing Through

Post by HenryTownshend »

Origins could have been alot better by making the sanitarium much shorter and by of course fixing the camera.
SHF

Post by SHF »

^
AuraTwilight is not a troll, she/he is just opinionated, so everyone just stop getting so pissed off, relax and talk like adults.

@ HenryTownshend:
I thought the camera angles were pretty much the same as in all the other silent hill games. Unless you don't like the camera angles in any of the silent hill games....
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

SHF wrote:@ HenryTownshend:
I thought the camera angles were pretty much the same as in all the other silent hill games. Unless you don't like the camera angles in any of the silent hill games....
He was referring to the notable camera issues with Origins, like in tight corridors or during battles.

[quote="Haynes, Jeff (November 12, 2007). "Silent Hill: Origins Review". IGN."]Another issue that crops up is the problem of the camera, which is designed to highlight dramatic angles or impart a sense of claustrophobia. While it does this rather well, it fails within battle, as you will frequently find yourself struggling to see what is attacking you from off-screen. What's more, you may find that as you swing or move forward in battle, the camera angle will change and you'll accidentally move in the wrong direction or run into danger rather than away from it. Even trying to remedy this is somewhat hampered, because centering the camera doesn't work as well as it should, which is very unfortunate. [/quote]
[quote=" Burt, Andy (2007-11-07). "Review : Silent Hill Origins PSP""]The game does suffer from a wonky camera, though. It usually works fine but there were times when it would swing into a bad position, making it hard for me to see what was going on. There's also an auto-center option that seem to doesn't work the way it should. [/quote]
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Keep it civil guys. Stop calling each other trolls and discuss the topic like adults please. Thanks!
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

HenryTownshend wrote:Origins could have been alot better by making the sanitarium much shorter and by of course fixing the camera.
The Sanitarium was the best part of the game. Why would you want it shortened?
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

What wonder's boy said about explaining more about Alessa's childhood and her father does sound like it would've been very interesing.

I agree that the camera kindof sucked, although I somehow had more problems with the one in 4. Maybe cause 4 is a harder game?

Also, it's nice that someone else liked the Sanitarium the best. Gameplay wise, I believe it is the best level, it has the most detailed level exploration, which is the key to good SH gameplay.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.