Music of Silent Hill Revelations

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

How good do you think the new movie will be?

EPIC BEYOND BELIEF!!!
9%
Awesome!
29%
Cool
29%
Okay, I guess.
18%
Meh.
6%
Oh god it's gonna suck
6%
FAILURE
2%
{other} (please specify)
2%

Total votes: 66

WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Music of Silent Hill Revelations

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

What music would you like to hear in the new Silent Hill movie? What from the games would you love to hear in there?

If Akira Yamaoka doesn't end up being the composer/sound director, who'd you like to be in there besides him?

What kind of Non-Silent-Hill songs do you think would fit in the movie? After all, they used Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" to good effect.
...Well, I think so, anyway.

And I think it'll be pretty cool. THREE-DEE!!!
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: Music of Silent Hill Revelations

Post by Yuki »

I don't mind the thought of 3D, but it's not a draw for me.

To be honest, I don't /care/ who does the music. I just want it to fit the film well.
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

I'd like Yamaoka to do it, but if he doesn't, I'd like to have music from the games. Failing that...I think Massive Attack should do it, but I'm biased. :D
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

I'd like some music by Marilyn Manson or Boards of Canada in there--both create music that kinda fits the SH motif, you know? And Manson did the Resident Evil movie's soundtrack, and I thought everything went better than expected. =)
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I would like Akira's music, mainly music from the OSTs. I mean, this is a Silent Hill movie, how about some tracks from the Silent Hill games? I liked how that was the majority of the tracks that were used in the first movie. Some of his other ambient MAY be okay, depending on the scene. A composer other than Yamaoka...no idea. It doesn't have to be Yamaoka, though. As long as the composer's music gives a Silent Hill like feel, and goes well with the scenes the music is paired with, I don't really care.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
trai has cake
Just Passing Through

Post by trai has cake »

I think the music will be good regardless - I mean the first movie I thought was great and the film was what got me into the Series overall - even if they don't use Yamaoka there is always Daniel Licht to turn to seeing as he's doing the music for Downpour !
silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillking »

A very out there suggestion but look up crimson glory dream dancer
that songs in a league of it,s own and would be nice
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Because the sounds of Silent Hill are so diverse and flexible, I see people besides Akira Yamaoka being able to do the job well. Not to say I wouldn't love to hear Yamaoka's work to return. In fact, I highly expect it to. I even expect to hear some of the same tracks we heard in the first film return, as they seemed to carry some of the themes in the movie very well, almost as if the music was highlighting them and carrying them on through the film's hellish, gorgeous, and hallucinatory landscape.

Cash's "Ring of Fire" was used very well in the film, and I believe we may see more diverse sounds in the sequel. Because Bassett has stated he is trying to bring the film to be more in line with the atmosphere, look, and feel of the games, I'm hoping the sound will yoke with the game more, possibly exposing the audience to more natural silence and ambience often found in the games. The music worked so well in the first film, though, that I'm challenged with deciding if I'd really want more silence or not.
Last edited by wonder's boy on 21 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I'd kill for Manson in SH:R. <3333333 But I want Akira doing the soundtrack. If Akira and Manson did a song.... *jizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz<3*
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

To be honest, I wish there were a way to keep the music department quiet until after the film's release. I'd love to see everyone see it on release day and hate/love the music, only to find it was/was not (respectively) done by Akira.
wonder's boy

Post by wonder's boy »

^ I'd like this too, but I'm anticipating some piece of info being unleashed about it and other aspects of the film eventually. Hopefully it will be done in a way one can avoid it if they choose to do so. I love surprises when it comes to things like movies.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think I would like to hear a few songs from the games, but original stuff as well. I liked hearing Ring of Fire in the first movie, but I think it could have used an original score instead of just a playlist ripped from the games. I wouldn't mind hearing pieces pulled from throughout he series, but save Room of Angel for a potential SH4 movie, damn it.
gomezaddams
Just Passing Through

Post by gomezaddams »

i would hate to hear any Manson in Silent Hill, especially if it sounded anything like recent releases. I'm a fan of his, so I'm not just saying that in a 'oh he sucks' way, I just can't picture anything from his body of work or a similar style fitting into anything to do with Silent Hill....maybe some of the ambient drone things in Anti-Christ or Holywood, but nothing that makes me think it would be beneficial. - Even the music he had a hand in with the first Resident Evil movie (which Marco Beltrami had just as much to do with, and helped Manson considerably in the writing department) which was good, still had a whole rock element that just isn't Silent Hill to me.
If it wouldn't just be instrumental music, one of the few bands who could channel the Silent Hill vibe might be Johnny Hollow. Or at least more in line with the soundtracks from 3 and on.
If they wanted to go back to the ambient drones and noises of the very first soundtrack, they could always bring on Chu Ishikawa - he did it quite well on all of the Tetsuo soundtracks. Throw him and Akira together, have him maybe inspire some new tricks from Akira - i bet it would be a nice outcome.

But as other people have said - as long as it fits the scene and overall movie, i really don't care who does it, as long as it's done well and with care.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Yuki wrote:To be honest, I wish there were a way to keep the music department quiet until after the film's release. I'd love to see everyone see it on release day and hate/love the music, only to find it was/was not (respectively) done by Akira.
Yeah, it'd be nice to get a surprise, actually. I would like this to be the case.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

Short little update on the music in the comments to Bassett's most recent blog post:
Is Yamaoka doing any new pieces for the film? Do you know how incredible that would be, especially if the movie is pulling music straight from the SH3 score. That’s one thing the first film did absolutely right. Reverence for Yamaoka is a must.
Posted by Loopty Loop
--
Akira is in the loop and waiting for our call. I’m confident he will be involved if all works out according to plan.
Posted by michaeljbassett
http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/20 ... mment-5753
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Post by LeriSuccubus »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:I'd like some music by Marilyn Manson or Boards of Canada in there--both create music that kinda fits the SH motif, you know? And Manson did the Resident Evil movie's soundtrack, and I thought everything went better than expected. =)
Yeah, but Manson would try to plug new stuff that sounds like a bag of cats being thrown at a passing train. I've heard the song in the trailer for F.E.A.R. 3 and some of the ones like "Heart Shaped Glasses" (is that what it's called?) from that one cd, which sounded like a drunk guy falling off a cliff. Manson is hit and miss for me. I'm in love with "the Nobodies" though.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Id rather have Evanescence do it. Their first album and earlier demos sound very silent hill-ish and eery.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

VenusDoom wrote:Id rather have Evanescence do it. Their first album and earlier demos sound very silent hill-ish and eery.
I like Evanescence, but I disagree, myself. Some of their stuff is creepy, but I don't think I've heard anything by them that's subdued enough for Silent Hill. :/
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Yuki wrote:
VenusDoom wrote:Id rather have Evanescence do it. Their first album and earlier demos sound very silent hill-ish and eery.
I like Evanescence, but I disagree, myself. Some of their stuff is creepy, but I don't think I've heard anything by them that's subdued enough for Silent Hill. :/
Maybe if just Amy Lee doing vocals, working with Yamaoka, that might be nice... :)
wonder's boy

Post by wonder's boy »

I just thought of how nice it would be to hear "Memory of the Waters" in Revelations. I always found it to be very intimate and pleasing to the ears. Would definitely be glad to hear that track play at some point in the film. A guy can dream!