Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Silent Hill Homecoming in a separate canon? [spoilers]

Post by Tillerman »

Personally, I see Homecoming and Origins as non-canon, but that's just my opinion. I think that most of the time, it's not really worth arguing about what is and isn't canon, because that's a more flexible thing than a lot of people would like to believe. Take the Castlevania games, for instance... I believe that recently Konami "de-canonized" a bunch of games in that series in order to clean up the timeline.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

I understand a lot of people don't like Homecoming but lets face it, its part of the main series canon. Sure they used elements from the movie but that was as said to be drawing new crowds from those who saw the movie.

The logic you guys are using to justify that it isn't part of the series just doesn't work or could be used to argue that other games in the series aren't canon.

The whole argument that the otherworld looks more like the movie and whatnot, well I could say that SH1 and SH3's otherworld looked very different from SH2 and SH4's couldn't I? I guess that mean that I can argue its an alternate universe no? Even if it is a dumb argument.

If the reference of Douglas Cartland and the physical encounter of an older Travis Grady isn't good enough to make the link that this game is connected to the others, than I will say (though it's bullshit) that SH2 and SH4 are in a separate canon from SH1 and SH3. I mean sure they have references to Archibold, Joseph Schrieber, and Walter Sullivan, but that doesn't matter, I could say they are just using the same names for characters but they are actually in parallel universes or continuities.
Last edited by Mantorok on 05 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wow, Mantorok. I think you completely missed the argument most of us were making.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

inconsistencies are very bound to happen with a series when it gets tossed around to totally differant devs and teams. i just look past it and take it for what it is. Homecoming did make some easily bypassed mistakes though. ( just look at the maps of the older games for Gods sake! ) The town really should stop morphing considering its the biggest thing the series has tying every game together. ( i do realize theres other issues, but this is the only one that gets me more )
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

I like to think that it's canon. . . .I have no real logical argument for it, however, I just like to think Heather did, indeed, get out of SH alive and well and
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
unpossessed
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Isn't it possible that the Silent Hill that Alex visits, and by extension the map he gets, isn't the way it looks in the "real world". Let's face it, we don't know the extents of what can happen in Silent Hill. How do we know that prison is really there? Or still there, at least?

I don't think there is any real reason to think Homecoming is set in the movie canon. It did use way too much from it for my taste (the coal miners was just pushing it), but influence doesn't mean much other than influence. Especially in a series where the world warps and changes depending on who is seeing it. Map inconsistencies don't mean much of anything.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Isn't it possible that the Silent Hill that Alex visits, and by extension the map he gets, isn't the way it looks in the "real world".<
People have suggested this before, but I just don't get it. The maps have never been suspect before so I just don't believe they suddenly would be to explain away one game's gross inconsistencies. I don't even have a problem with the map, or how much the town has changed. Over 30 years have passed since we first see the town's layout, and no small town is going to stay the same that long, unless it's dying.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I've always thought 0rigins and Homecoming were in separate canons, myself. Even Homecoming tries to tie itself into SH1 as vaguely as possible (with Wheeler mentioning Cybil) but it just... doesn't work.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

The Adversary wrote:People have suggested this before, but I just don't get it. The maps have never been suspect before so I just don't believe they suddenly would be to explain away one game's gross inconsistencies.
No, it hasn't happened before. And before SH2 the town never called to people with guilt. Before SH3 no area outside of SH could be affected in the same way. I'm not saying it's the best idea to think they intended for the map to be questionable, but I don't see why the idea should be completely ruled out either.

I personally really like the idea that we will never truly know the extents of what can happen in Silent Hill. Once you get comfortable it stops being as interesting as it used to be. Simply because we never had reason to suspect that maps could be altered to the person looking at it doesn't mean we can't consider it now. Maybe the map that Alex looked at wasn't even physically real.
xoxsnoof wrote:Even Homecoming tries to tie itself into SH1 as vaguely as possible (with Wheeler mentioning Cybil) but it just... doesn't work.
How doesn't it work? Homecoming doesn't really contradict anything. It brings up some new things that don't really need to be there, but none of it is impossible within the original canon. SH2, SH3, and SH4 also all brought in new things and SH2 and 4 only casually vaguely referenced past events. It's really no different. There only real reason I can think of for someone wanting to think it is in a different canon is "I don't like it", so when people say that ISN'T their reason, I get a bit confused.

I never really saw all that much reason to care anyway, though, so long as the game isn't beating established canon to death and laughing at us as it does it, does it really matter if not every single detail lines up 100%? I never really considered it too big a deal in Silent Hill myself. Sure, I get annoyed at the way characters and events are portrayed in Origins and the way Pyramid Head was used after 2 and all that, and that ties into canon issues. But in a series with multiple endings where a decent amount of information is left intentionally vague and up to interpretation, I think it's best not to get too "set in stone" picky to the point where if there is one mild inconsistency suddenly the game must be reasoned into being a separate canon.
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

^ what you said.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Well, I think it's supposed to be connected to the previous games:
1) The SG cult separating itself from the original SH one.
2) cameo: Travis
3) Wheeler mentioning Cybil

About the map, I believe they simply screwed it up (this is one of the few deductions of mine regarding SH).

And the movie features do not shatter this concept.

Personally, about the "canon-point of view" I see it as a sort of SH4 type of game- new cult, new location- but still: same universe.
trai has cake
Just Passing Through

Post by trai has cake »

As they said, a lot of the time people count Homecoming & Origins into a different canon is mainly b/c they don't like it. And though I'm sure not everyone has that reason a majority of the time thats why. I for one think that Homecoming continues on from the main series. They used elements from the movie -Grand Hotel, Miners etc. because they liked the movie. They bring up pieces of information that reference the other games as well as having Travis in the opening scene dropping off Alex. And like The Adversary said no small town is going to stay the same after all that time, regardless of how much darkness and evil is supposed to be there.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I just thought of a rreason this game may not be cannon to the games. (In my opinion anyway)
The game was never released in Asia/Japan. Sorry for the bump/if it has been brought up, but I truely wonder about it's cannocity. I think Homecoming can be viewed in the same light as Silent Hill Oprhan/Mobile. I guess it all depends on your viewpoint, personally, I consider the Arcade game cannon, but thats just me.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Aspiring_Failure
Just Passing Through

Post by Aspiring_Failure »

The way I look at it, the series is so fragmented, and aside from the games referencing eachother, there's no connection between the stories of any of them. Except for SH1 and SH3, of course. And Origins if you consider it canon.

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me, SH2, SH4, and SH5 all have independent stories that just borrow the SH setting and some of the general backstory, and really shouldn't be considered canon at all.

I'll also go ahead and say that I think SH2, SH4, and SH5 have the best stories.
Yeah, ...I'm that awesome.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Aspiring_Failure wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but to me, SH2, SH4, and SH5 all have independent stories
I'm not sure what you meant with indipendent, but.. Just for you to know, SH4 was practically ripped off from SH2. ( And, technically SH4 is the backup plan for Dahlia's backup plan).
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

mikefile wrote: SH4 was practically ripped off from SH2.

What?
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^SH2- the article about the murder incident (WoodSide Apt.)
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>technically SH4 is the backup plan for Dahlia's backup plan<
This simply isn't true.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

mikefile wrote:^SH2- the article about the murder incident (WoodSide Apt.)

Right, I'm aware of that, but I'd hardly say that qualifies as a rip off.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

The Adversary wrote:>technically SH4 is the backup plan for Dahlia's backup plan<
This simply isn't true.
?
SH1- Dahlia failed
SH3- Claudia (brainwashed by Dahlia) tries the same thing (different technique of course)
SH4- Walter tries to birth God - Dahlia told him that Room 302 is his mommie
Don't get it. How am I wrong?
stopped_clock wrote:Right, I'm aware of that, but I'd hardly say that qualifies as a rip off.
I'm simply saying that the basis of SH4 was ripped out, teared out of the memo from SH2.