Origins is the best Silent Hill game ever made

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Origins is the best Silent Hill game ever made

Post by Silent_Storm »

I thought Travis was girly to be honest.

I didn't like how you were always told where you were supposed to go rather than spontaneously discovering them like you do in the other games.
What's the big deal - Laura
HenryTownshend
Just Passing Through

Post by HenryTownshend »

I didn't think origins was too much of a bad game. The graphics were certainly way above average for a psp game. The story could have been alot better in my opinion and travis was an alright protagonist. Personally though Silent Hill Origins is definitely not the best silent hill game.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Can't say it's the best, but I have a major, major soft spot for it.

I find the atmosphere and music to be wonderful. I love the gameplay, minus the breakable weapons. It just feels comfortable to me. I also love the amount we got to run around the streets.

Plus Alessa is my favorite character, so I love seeing her be awesome constantly.

Origins is flawed but I thought it was an extremely solid effort on the teams part.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

LOL, I have to work at it to beat Origins in under 3 hours and people are talking about beating it in under 2. Also, I dunno why everyone hates the Sanitarium, it's by far the best stage in my opinion, way better than any level in 4 or Homecoming.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^I quoted you from the Scariest Games thread and I can see why people hate the Sanitarium. I personally hated how extremely dark it was (Maybe it was my TV, but no other SH game ever looked so dark), and the Nurses were freaky. They roared and shit!

Something I didn't like about Origins was the fact that Dahlia's hair was like...red. Uhm, so I guess her hair greyed super fast within the next seven years? I don't know. As well, she looked kind of like she was in her 30's, when in Silent Hill she looks quite old. I don't know. It was just really weird.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ Yeah, I think the overall character design was pretty bad actually. And on a TV you say? The PS2 version had way more brightness problems in my opinion. On the PSP version I can see ok. The Nurses bugged me more in the Hospital where there was less enemy variety. In the Sanitarium, the Roadkill bugged me way more.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I found the PS2 port to be a complete abomination. Probably one of the lowest points in the series.

The music was messed up. It wouldn't loop. For example, the end of the game when you're running around the alternate motel and it has that really intense industrial music. Well, it would for maybe a minute? Then all you get is 'drip drip' of some random backround noise.

I bought two copies of it, simply hoping one was just a bad copy. Wishful thinking, because it was garbage. It's also frustrating because I've heard of people having no issues with their copies. Or just really minor, meaningless glitches. I somewhat wonder though, if it's just because they never played the PSP version and don't know better necessarily.

But if gaming magazines gave it decent reviews, then I must have had terrible luck. They would have tore it apart if it was as bad as it was for me.

I really wanted to play Origins on a bigger screen. Especially now that my PSP-2000 broke and I don't want to buy a new one just to play it with the TV cables.

As for the sanitarium, I think it mostly because it was so damn huge. It's probably the biggest level in Silent Hill. I also imagine for some people, the music could get a bit redundant.

I really enjoyed it though. I really enjoy how it all comes together in the end. Plus the doll pill puzzle was amazing. Something about the game as a whole just makes me happy hah~
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I noticed the music not looping sometimes in the PS2 version, didn't bother me much, kept the music from getting too repetitive. Like I said the game had more brightness problems. But hey sometimes when leaving the Sanitarium in the PSP version the sound would be toatally jacked up. Not to mention enemies falling through stuff when getting knocked down. It was a slightly glitchy game in general. Still better graphics and music than most portable games. I like having a Silent Hill game on the PSP. And the PS2 version was useful for showing to my friends.
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

SH0 for me was the best game, it was the first I ever played in the series, and I admit there are a lot of flaws, it would be great if the could remake it and this time make it longer but I mean longer, I beat it in 52 min!! And also make it more detailed in big details and little details, a little bit more story added to it, the places you explore bigger, if they could make the places you explore like the sanitarium that would be so much better,and difficulty levels in puzzles and action, I found it hard the first time I played, but after a couple plays I could kill almost everybody with my fist, and last but not least more endings, I was disappointed that there were only 3 endings.
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
RivenZero
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RivenZero »

I also enjoyed this game. It's by far the best game I have on my psp go besides Resident Evil 2 and the original Silent Hill. It drew me in with the opening music as you walk from your truck to the burning house in the beginning. My first playthrough was around 4 hours because I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I ended up beating it once more that day in about an hour and four minutes because I was so ashamed of my first time.

My favorite area in the series by far is the Artaud Theatre from Origins. The Ariel puppets rank pretty high on scariest enemies right next to the demon babies (SH) and Bottom monsters (SHTR)
Thanks again JuriDawn for the amazing avatar & sig!
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ I thought I knew what the heck I was doing the first time through and I got five hours...

Also, 52 minutes!? Can't imagine...
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^ It's not hard to do if it's fresh in your memory. Even easier if you have the alian gun...thing. It's been about 3 years since I played it. lol
It was a really good game to me and was very immersive if in a dark room with headphones on. I got every alccolade and really havn't touched it much since though. I think i'm about ready to give it another go since my PSP has decided to magically work for no appearent reason lately. lol (Couldn't get it to charge or turn on for the past year. Now it's fine since collecting dust. Go figure.)
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

Its exactly like Silent Fantasy said, but what I did was get 2 copies of each area and as I went through the game I marked open doors, locked doors, and the warp mirrors, keys ect.. So next time out I didn't lookt at the game map at all, and I knew where everything was at, so I went through quicky.
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Sounds easier to go by memory. I got the speedrun, no flashlight, no map, no saves, and maybe one having to do with fighting all at the same time. lol
I'v never had the patience to write stuff down like that, and I would probobly confuse myself anyway. :lol:
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I don't know why, but this talk on the first page about Travis hari chest seems... trollish to me.... Anyway, I liked SH origins. It was fun and well made. But it lacked a soul IMO. It's probably my least favorite game in the serie. Travis is not that interesting. Granted he's more interesting than Henry, but that's not that hard.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^ He actually is interesting, just not emphasized enough. Him and his story got overshadowed by the unnecessary origin story that seemed shoehorned in.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

That's probably true. It's been a while since I lasy played SH origins, and I guess I should play it again. Like I said, I had a great time with it, some scenes were awesome, but I didn't feel as engaged in this one, as I felt with the other games.
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by the konami code »

snakesonaplane wrote:OH yeah I was thinking of Claudia.

Also COME ON! Show me a better real man than Travis in the Silent Hill games! The rest of them are all GIRLY MEN! I mean for real Final Fantasy men are more manlier then they are.
Alex was kinda bad ass. He was definitely the best fighter
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

Harry's is a real man not only that but a special kinda a man he goes through hell and back for his daughter, let rephrase that his adapted daughter I dont know what's manlier then that.(also forget he also killed a demon god)keyword:demon god by himself.