The Review Thread

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: The Review Thread

Post by AuraTwilight »

So you didn't like it because you weren't scared? What were your thoughts on the other aspects of the game? It's story, music, art direction, that sort of thing?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
AdamMosh
Just Passing Through

Post by AdamMosh »

many people said that SH4 is the worst game in the series I think that Homecoming and Shattered Memories are the worst in the series by far, these two don't deserve to call themselves as Silent Hill games.
death is in my blood
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Okay, we get the picture, you don't have to say it in every SM thread.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
bluemug7
Just Passing Through

Post by bluemug7 »

I'm not good at writing reviews, so I'll just make a few comments.

About 2 hours into the game, it's easy to figure out who the psychiatrist is actually talking to, but that doesn't make the story any less captivating and poignant. And that ending... The last game that had such an emotional impact on me was Shadow of the Colossus.

Climax managed to get the general feel of the series right, with a touch of their own. The game had a strong, somewhat dreamy atmosphere. When I was walking from Lisa's appartment to the mall, with Lives Wasted Away playing, I said aloud : "Wow... This is it !"

I thought the phone would be a useless gimmick, but it works surprisingly well. All the calls, voicemails, texts and photos really add to the plot.

Great replayability value if you care about all the little details and variations (and the five different endings, obviously). I'm on my 3rd playthrough and keep discovering new things.

Dislike:
I was really let down by the lack of horror. Some areas/phonecalls were creepy, but that's it. There is no threat during the explorations sequences, as long as the environnement doesn't freeze over, you know you're safe. The chase sequences were intense as first, then annoying. I get what their purpose was, but I'm not fond of this kind of gameplay (Haunting Ground comes to mind, beautiful game but very frustrating). While seeing them change as the game progresses is interesting, the monsters didn't really felt threatening or malignent to me.

It's far from perfect, but a good entry in the Silent Hill series. A real breath of fresh air.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

Well, I just finished my first playthrough. I've been really lazy though, finally I've got the calm and time in my hands to write my review.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that the psychological examination aspect of the game was top-notch. It's something that no other SH tried before (because in the other cases the game is not examinating us, we're supposed to examinate the protagonist, whether it is to relate with him/her or despise him/her, if I'm being clear enough). I like this element because it feels like we make the story as we go along. It's much more...prominent in this cases than in previous SH games (in which the story did change through events and actions althoug, as I said, not as prominently).

Story: The story is an inmensively effective twist/turn on the original SH1 narrative. However, I for one, would've liked the game to have more dialogue with the characters, especially to get more of a complete development with them (I know that in some way they're more developed than most of the paper-thin caricatures we've seen in past games, but I still would've liked to go deeper into them). It's relatable both to adults and younger players, adults will find themselves more connected with Harry's situation in Silent Hill and most of the decisions and interactions he makes, while younger players will find themselves more linked to Cheryl's experiences. I found myself related with this storyline more than SH2's storyline (my favorite SH game) because, first, I'm not an adult yet, I haven't been married, and haven't been through half of the experiences and challenges a normal person has to go through in life, so I can say I can relate to some of James's thoughts and actions, but I can't connect events of my life to his like I can in Shattered Memories.

Gameplay: This game, of course, was more linear than past entries (in the sense of not having to go through hell to find a key, or taking about an hour figuring out a puzzle). Which made it relatively easy. I finished the game rather quickly, which brings me to the same point I brought up before, I would've actually preferred the snow world sequences (where you actually interacted with other characters) to be longer and the ice world sequences to stay the same. I felt that just when an event or a dialogue started to get interesting the world would turn ice again, which made me feel dissappointed in some way. The ice world sequences we're fast to go through, and since you can't do anything about the monsters (other than pushing them away or using a flare to scare them), you can't explore, all you can do is appreciate the enviroments, which of course deserve credit because they were incredibly well-designed and most of all, spooky. And that's what most of the game was, spooky instead of unsettling, which is fine in my book. On a *personal* note, my Wii controller was acting up on me. That fucking bitch. I couldn't hear a thing on any of the voice mails, apparently because the microphone or whatever inside the controller is damaged, so I missed out on various stuff. The fact that I currently have to use a replacement Wii sensor bar (I broke the one that came with the console when I bought it, about a month later), didn't help me either, it made it even harder for the controls to respond. That's got nothing to do with the game, though. One thing I forgot, is that it made excellent use of the Wii controls, my parents watched me play at times and were impressed at how clever the game's use of these was.

Soundtrack: For the most part, I thought this soundtrack was good. Definitely not as perfect as the ones from the first 4, but a good piece of work nonetheless. The use of vocals was more needed this time around because this was more of a personality intense game, so I was perfectly fine with that.

Graphics: This game had the graphics I expect from a Wii game, and that's not what I'm getting with most Wii games. The facial expressions were masterfully detailed and most sequences were impressive (especially the bridge collapse scene), which makes a round of applause obligatory for the developers.

Design: I wanted to make a whole new point for this. What I loved about the designs in this game was the fact that here we get more artistic backgrounds and layouts, which makes the game more realistic and modern. Take the brothel as an example, the curve staircase was one of the things I definitely noticed at first sight. It is a design achievement which I thought was quite nice. There are things the shoulder view-point from recent RE and SH games doesn't get credit for. To me, it's the fact that you get to appreciate the view of the character much better from here, without having to resort to a 1st person view. Take the first change to ice world (which I consider the strongest point of the game, very frightening, I felt genuinely royally fucking scared), you could notice how the inmense blocks of ice started shaping up and cars started getting destroyed and, well, you know the deal.

Shattered Memories is an achievement. It's a different SH game, a different take, that should be taken differently instead of being compared. At least that's how I see it. To my perspective it should stay the way it is and no other SH game should attempt to replicate it. I'm not saying we should keep getting SH2's, but I don't think Shattered Memories as a game is a formula that should be followed either. It's just a different thing on it's own. If that makes any sense.

RATE: 10/10
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

On a *personal* note, my Wii controller was acting up on me. That fucking bitch. I couldn't hear a thing on any of the voice mails, apparently because the microphone or whatever inside the controller is damaged, so I missed out on various stuff.
A note for future playthroughs; when you get your phone, you can go into the pause menu options and have the phone audio come from your television instead of the Wiimote.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

AuraTwilight wrote:
On a *personal* note, my Wii controller was acting up on me. That fucking bitch. I couldn't hear a thing on any of the voice mails, apparently because the microphone or whatever inside the controller is damaged, so I missed out on various stuff.
A note for future playthroughs; when you get your phone, you can go into the pause menu options and have the phone audio come from your television instead of the Wiimote.
Wait - WHAT? :lol: Oh, I should've asked before. I was going to start a new playthrough soon anyways, want to see if I get a new ending. :)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, it's really annoying. I wish they'd let you set that sort of thing before you even start playing. WE KNOW Harry's going to get a phone, guys, it's not like it's a damn spoiler.
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

Shattered Memories is 1 of my favorite games ever. However...

On my first playthrough (on PS2) I hated it. I hated the twist. I took it as another rehash of the crazy/guilty protagonist, except this one had such a weak reason to be punished that i was actually insulted by it. I also hate that the key to everything was a character we hadnt even met yet & i'm suppose to feel this huge emotional impact for her? i felt nothing at all.

On my 2nd playthrough (on the wii) i put the main story out of my mind. And focused on exploring the town & finding all the ghostly side stories. The much improved graphics on the wii, the wiimote flashlight controls & cellphone stuff help to really immersed me WAY more than it had on the PS2. And along with the soundtrack, it really pulled me in & i felt the lonely, haunted, hopelessness that harry was feeling.
Its not pure horror, but it is scary in the twilight zone-ish way, where you find yourself alone in the world; sometimes literally alone, and sometimes there are other people but they act different & alien. That is a terrifying, dreadful feeling.
I also loved the character moments with lisa, michelle, and dahlia. They were each flawed but beautiful in their own way. And they reminded me of different personalities i know in my own life. I wish there were more sequences with them, like maybe having a cup of coffee with lisa before she took her pills.

On the negative side:

-i wish the puzzles were more complex than opening a locker & find the combination to the door. and less obtuse than rearrange dolls, so that their shadows casts the lock combination. The birthday card one was fun though.

-During the chase sequences, the motion controls hardly worked. And i was getting a stroke from flailing so much to the raw shocks off me. The chase scenes in general needed to be reworked. I could not find my way around & the map was not very helpful

Inspite of that, i loved the game. Along with Mirrors Edge its my favorite & i want a sequel for those games more than any other.
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

Everyone has their on opinion.
Me personally, I HATE it.
I did not even finish it.
I quit playing an hr in.
I do not like this game.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You quit playing an hour in? You should atleast have finished it to get your money's worth.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

born2kill wrote: On my first playthrough (on PS2) I hated it. I hated the twist. I took it as another rehash of the crazy/guilty protagonist, except this one had such a weak reason to be punished that i was actually insulted by it. I also hate that the key to everything was a character we hadnt even met yet & i'm suppose to feel this huge emotional impact for her? i felt nothing at all.
The reason the twist had huge emotional impact, for me, was because
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
although you haven't met her, you've essentially been walking through Cheryl's past, seeing the aftermath of Harry's death and how it twisted and distorted every aspect of her life. The whole story has been about her! Everything, from the symbolism of the chase sequences, to the relationship between John and Michelle- and it's only at the end that you see this. The emotional impact came from the flood of realizations, from every little detail from the game that didn't make sense suddenly falling into place- this all happens in a split second as her face is revealed.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

AuraTwilight wrote:You quit playing an hour in? You should atleast have finished it to get your money's worth.
Seriously! Because, you're already like halfway through.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Not to mention that the last few sequences of the game are pretty much worth buying it for.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

wonder's boy wrote:Not to mention that the last few sequences of the game are pretty much worth buying it for.
This is a post which I agree with. It'd be like not finishing It's A Wonderful Life and saying it was depressing, or switching off Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind after 20 minutes and saying it's a lame film about a guy who has been dumped.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

Is Shattered Memories for any other systems? i haven't been at a game store in a while.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

The SH Champion wrote:Is Shattered Memories for any other systems? i haven't been at a game store in a while.
You could have Googled :P That being said, it's also for PSP and PS2. The Wii version is generally regarded as the best, unless you loathe motion controls to the point where you refuse to touch them.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

^I was too lazy to Google it. Thank you though. i'm gonna wait...for now.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

I have Shattered Memories for a while now (PS2), but wasn't able to finish it due to school and such. But I've finished it yesterday and here's my review:

Story
There are a lot of similarities and clever nods to the original, but like it that they gave it their own twist and atmosphere. The story is more focussed on the family life and past of Harry than the unusual nature of Cheryl's dissapearance and mysterious origin. Again, a clever twist and in my opinion more realistic and emotional engaging. One can quickly guess the true nature of Harry's search, but still, the journey was still highly enteraining and had some great elements and symbolism.

Creatures
Instead of a wide variety of creatures that stalk the dark, we get the raw shocks. The raw shocks are different from what we've seen so far in the sense that they gradually change in appearance to symbolise the change in Harry's psyche and what kind of father he actually is. I found this to be a fresh perspective on the nature and behavior of the SH creatures. Also notice that they don't actually kill Harry, but instead hug and carress him in a loving manner.

Characters
Most of the key characters in the original return in Shattered Memories, some with a different purpose and relation to Harry in the story. There are also a couple of new characters who assist Harry in his search and thus, uncovering the truth, but also help him reflect on his life. I liked the 'upgrades' some of these characters got and I liked how they all played a part in Harry's revelation. The main star in my opinion, is the therapist who acts as a narrator, guiding the story and asking questions neccesary to reveal the truth.

Areas
For me, Silent Hill felt as a real resort town and I could picture the daily lives of its citizens and visitors. The fact that it was all abandoned and dark enhanced the atmosphere of loneliness and disorientation I felt playing Harry. The everlasting blizzard also helped to set the mood and gave a realistic reason why everything was deserted. The transitions to the 'Otherworlds' were fun, creative and occastionally unexpected as it froze people sometimes in mid-sentence.

Gameplay
I enjoyed the gameplay and how it seemed so personal and interactive. The chase sequences in the nightmares sometimes felt repetitive, but not so much that it ruined the experience for me. I liked how the game was more about the exploring and investigating than to scare you or focus on the action.

Soundtrack
Most of the soundtrack I didnt notice (which is a good sign as it blends well) but near the ending it became more noticeable and powerful. The cover of 'Always on my Mind' is a personal favorite of mine and the ending theme during the credits is also very fitting and emotional. I felt it was a humble soundtrack and also fitting with the overall theme of the game.

Overall
8 / 10

Personally, I liked this one better than the original. Don't get me wrong the original is a classic and the series owes much from that game, but I felt Shattered Memories was more engaging and better executed.
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Pendleton
Just Passing Through

Post by Pendleton »

I myself finished this game yesterday, and I enjoyed it very much.

It is quite different from other SH games, but it was a refreshing change. Over all the...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
credits, or rather the therapist's notes on the choices you made, and how it read me
Were spot on lol. That creeped me out a bit. :P