Hospital Ending? (Spoilers.)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

silentalarm
Just Passing Through

Hospital Ending? (Spoilers.)

Post by silentalarm »

I played Homecoming and got the hospital ending. There are so many confusing things about this ending, I don't even know where to start. I have a feeling its the canon (real) ending because he wakes up in the hospital (as Silent Hill isn't really an actual place, but a state of mind rather) However, here's something weird: They both look like his father and one of them sounds like Wheeler. EXACTLY like Wheeler. WTF? Am I missing something here?
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Hospital Ending? (Spoilers.)

Post by Typographenia »

He's being given electro-shock therapy. If I recall correctly.

Electro-shock was given to mental ward patients believing it to cure insanity.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

silentalarm wrote:(as Silent Hill isn't really an actual place, but a state of mind rather)
Uh...what? That's a very interesting theory but it is known to a lot of people that Silent Hill is an actual town that people actually live in and is growing, shown with advancements in Silent Hill 8 and various other games.
Last edited by simeonalo on 21 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Um...neither of you answered his question. :?

It's been too long since I saw a Homecoming ending, but maybe in that ending, Wheeler worked at the mental hospital instead of being a deputy. And maybe they let parents in to see that sort of thing. Or maybe they just reused character designs and voices because they felt like it. There's endless possibilities, really. I don't think it meant anything, but that's just me. That ending was supposed to imply that Alex was still in the ward, and (I guess?) had imagined the events of the game because he was a nut job.
But I'm assuming someone better versed in Homecoming can take it from here....
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The idea is that Alex completely made up everything (except for killing Josh). This apparently includes the identities of people he knew, since Adam is also a doctor and apparently not his father.

Hell, maybe Alex was a Silent Hill fan and his delusions are a sort of fanfiction he made. Perhaps that would explain all the plot holes.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Or perhaps all the characters he meets are memories he has of said characters. The memories could've been manifested into actual living breating characters, I mean it's entirely possible.

I dunno, anything is possible with this series, Silent Hill does tap into the mind. And being that he was in a hospital in Silent Hill, perhaps from being in that hospital it tapped into his deepest thoughts and memories. And being that he was supposed to be, or perhaps may have been a nutjob. Those delusions actually made him believe that he was walking around Silent Hill and running into all the people he actually knew at one time.

I dunno just saying, and throwing a theory out there.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
vicevers45
Just Passing Through

Post by vicevers45 »

this reminds me of the episode in twilight zone "another life"
where he just made up all the characters in his real life to his "dream" life(just watch it) XD
RAWR IM A MONSTER
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

The way I took the ending was that he never left the hospital. The entire game took place during his electroshock therapy. As we saw him get weeled into the hospital at the start of the game, maybe when he looked into the rooms, he just saw other pations undergoing treatments.
Also I think as soon as he was put into that room, his mind split off. His physical self being in the hospital and recieving treatment, and his mind creating the events of the game.

I'm assuming he was in the hospital for some time, and with the treatment, he maybe forgot what some people in his life looked like, hence why his dad and wheeler were the doctors too...

That's the way I see it anyway.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Mr.FLOOT wrote:The way I took the ending was that he never left the hospital. The entire game took place during his electroshock therapy. As we saw him get weeled into the hospital at the start of the game, maybe when he looked into the rooms, he just saw other pations undergoing treatments.
Also I think as soon as he was put into that room, his mind split off. His physical self being in the hospital and recieving treatment, and his mind creating the events of the game.

I'm assuming he was in the hospital for some time, and with the treatment, he maybe forgot what some people in his life looked like, hence why his dad and wheeler were the doctors too...

That's the way I see it anyway.
And I agree totally, and that makes alot of sense if you watch everything that happens in the game. Like when the otherworld happens, you hear this static type noise and Alex holds his head. Which to me signals that he is undergoing the treatment while we're still in his mind seeing the events of the game.

At least to me this is what is seems like to me. And when you're being wheeled down the hall, I think that was just a dream as well, a dream that was happening while he was getting treatment. Because even when the game starts you hear that static noise, and you hear that strange siren like wail that happens alot in the game as well.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

There's another thread in which the same matter has been discussed. It may help.
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

I beat the game on hard and loved every sec until the end. All endings are pure garbage and it really ruined the game for me. I almost don't know if I want the next one now. Anyway I got the hos ending and i think it is the best out of all of them because when you reach the father he tells you you have been in a mental hospital. I have been reading a little on here and I haven't seen any of you tie this together.
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's because the hospital ending creates plotholes.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

It's still less problematic/nonsensical than the Water ending in Homecoming.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well yea, but pretty much the only ending that doesn't create buttloads of plotholes is the Leave ending.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I still think the UFO ending makes it all make WAY more sense. Only aliens could be responsible for making such a flat storyline. (No offense, E.T.)

Anyway, the Hospital ending always appealed to me far more than any of the other endings. Versus the Water (which makes even less sense), Leave (which is even more predictable and boring), and Boogeyman (which is just...never mind), the Hospital ending is a little easier to swallow for me. It would make sense for someone responsible for killing their younger brother to be committed and to make up a whole lot of horrific fantasies to try and cope.

Since he was staying at a hospital in Silent Hill (alch. hosp.), the town's powers might have played on his guilt and impaired psychological state some and made these fantasies flourish to more surreal and true-to-life levels.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

what I am saying is the father says he is in a hos so I think that ending has the only real tie in.
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Adam says he was in the hospital, not that he currently is(in the church). If you read Alex's diary on the official site Alex talks about escaping the hospital. If what is taken in Wheeler's and Elle's diaries are to be true, I think Alex's has to be too (in the fact that he was in a hospital and escaped A.M.A). The whole rest of the journal is his delusion (I guess)... I don't fucking know. The hospital ending is a cop-out to me. You can slap an ending like that on ANYTHING and it basically erases any bit of effort that went into the whole story up to that point. Out of principle, I refuse to accept that ending.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

In fairness, all of the diaries have minor plot holes.

The ending is still bullshit though. All of them are.
isaacrood
Just Passing Through

Post by isaacrood »

Well, Here is my theory... Wheeler never met Alex in the 'Real' World... So possibly Alex heard the doctors voice and used it in his mind, and created this new personality "Wheeler" As a man he meets along his journey. The surgeon doesn't sound like wheeler, Wheeler sounds like the surgeon. I don't know If I was the first one to notice this, So I won't take credit, But I haven't found anyone who noticed it...look VERY closely at the beginning of the game when he looks inside of the rooms, only to see what appears to be a mad hospital full of doctors doing crazy stuff to their patients. That what you thought too, Huh? Guess Again, There are three rooms which show people being "Tortured" And the fourth door is closed. The fourth door represents Alex. You probably are wondering "Where does this come from..?" Well Look VERY CLOSELY inside the other three rooms, and you will see the other three 'sacrifices' In there, You can see Fitch Dismembering his daughter, Holloway suffocating her daughter, and the mayor burying his son... Just an observation, maybe someone can clear up why he sees the other sacrifices, In the hospital.. But he does. Don't believe me, Go look. And as for his father saying he was in a mental hospital, Perhaps his mind wanted him to believe he wasn't any longer. In the diary the last entry says he was going to plan to escape that day. It never officially said he made it out in the diary.. So something could have gone wrong during his escape plan. Hell since his brother died he had dog tags on at the hospital and made up the reason he was there, Not because of mental breakdown, Because he was a soldier. He created all this huge messed up dimension in which he fought in. And at the end he beat it. He found josh, And the truth and once he realized that, his mind didn't need to cope with it in such a way anymore. He escaped the prison of his mind, In the real world. If no one noticed, in the 'Otherworld' Version of his house in his room, Theres a note. It say's "The patient in room 206 is scheduled to be lobotomized" Or something a long those lines, and I know some of you don't know what a lobotomy is, Its a process in which electric shock is used to fry the patients brain cells, It causes them to forget, everything. Also when the hospital ending starts he looks at the room number. "206" So The ending was hinted at. So the end of the game he didn't get murdered by the doctors, just Lobotomized. I think shutter island could have been a huge rip-off of this game... >.> Haha... And I'm new to the forums hello everyone. :)
Hello, New to the forum, Glad to be here!! :)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The surgeon doesn't sound like wheeler, Wheeler sounds like the surgeon.
How do you judge that, exactly? They have the same voice actor.

The rest of that post is stuff people have noticed before, and it doesn't really answer the question at hand. Adam speaks in the past tense, and Adam represents the Truth, regardless of whether he's imaginary or not.

And all the crazy stuff in the hospital doesn't lend well to the idea that he's still in it.

Also, Wheeler can't be made up, he has his own diary. And Elle's diary collaborates with the game's events, spitting in the face of it being Alex's delusion.

You could say he made their diaries up too, but he NEVER READS THEM.