Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

How did you like Homecoming

FUCK YEAH HOMECOMING
8%
That was pretty cool!
16%
It was okay, sure.
36%
Meh.
17%
Please don't make me play it again!
7%
KILL IT WITH FIRE
15%

Total votes: 107

Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: Who else was disappointed by Homecoming?

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^Josh died?

This is how little Homecoming's story was worth paying attention to for me.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Well, it has its good sides.
Till now we had the father-daughter, husband- wife, mother-son kind of relations that were relevant in the games.. while in Homecoming, they inserted the whole family package. It's really a depiction of family relations and their issues. It's about scaling duty and family. SG is in fact a symbol of it. There's also that whole Genesis symbolic within it.
The ritual that the parents scheduled are really complexed. I'm talking about the whole importance of the way they did it. The children's reincarnations were well done. The machineries were a plus, however not enough to justify the otherworld. And speaking of otherworld, the Grand Hotel one was interesting, the only original one if you ask me.

Homecoming has its good points of course. However, that's not enough and if you scroll back to my previous post you'll see that the bad ones are much plentier. 'Failure' wins over 'good enough'.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^Josh died?

This is how little Homecoming's story was worth paying attention to for me.
*looks at the game cover* Oh, Josh died and Alex repressed it.

That's how easy to figure out the plot of this game was.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

mikefile wrote:. Secondly, that's not how the Order deals with things. They don't kill people just for not joining their sect. They don't drill them or slash them just because of their lack of respect.

That's really not Silent Hill. Maybe something that seems like Silent Hill. But definitely not Silent Hill.
While I obviously agree the way they handled this was pretty fail, wasn't there a bit more to it then torturing for not joining and a lack of respect?

Didn't they also think it was their twisted way of 'saving' the people too? Something to do with by being born into this world, the sins of the flesh also come with it? I think by inflicting pain and suffering it was their way of 'purifying' the flesh.

Honestly, I'm not 100% about it. I also think that's why there's the redundant fleshless corpse everywhere.

If this IS the case, I think it's a pretty cool idea, just poorly executed. I'm sure someone can correct wherever I may have gone wrong with this.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Tabris wrote:
mikefile wrote:. Secondly, that's not how the Order deals with things. They don't kill people just for not joining their sect. They don't drill them or slash them just because of their lack of respect.

That's really not Silent Hill. Maybe something that seems like Silent Hill. But definitely not Silent Hill.
While I obviously agree the way they handled this was pretty fail, wasn't there a bit more to it then torturing for not joining and a lack of respect?

Didn't they also think it was their twisted way of 'saving' the people too? Something to do with by being born into this world, the sins of the flesh also come with it? I think by inflicting pain and suffering it was their way of 'purifying' the flesh.

Honestly, I'm not 100% about it. I also think that's why there's the redundant fleshless corpse everywhere.

If this IS the case, I think it's a pretty cool idea, just poorly executed. I'm sure someone can correct wherever I may have gone wrong with this.
I was under the impression that they went kill-happy in a desperate attempt to rectify the fact that they fucked up the sacrifices in the first place.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

I felt no joy or happiness or, really, excitement or tension from playing SH:H.

I only felt rage.

Lots and lots of impotent rage. You pretty much HAVE to shoot some enemies, like Smog, to kill them. You gotta shoot 'em in EXACTLY the right spot, EVERY TIME, WITH TWO GODDAMN FUCKING BOXES OF AMMO!!!!!! >_<
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

^In fairness, it was nice to have one enemy you couldn't easily knife to death!
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

There's not much point in killing smogs, because they're so slow. Schisms and Nurses are also really slow, running away from them isn't exactly hard.

I like this game, but it's my least favorite. I'll play it on occasion.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Homecoming was such a let down for me. I tried to like it, i really did but it just wasn't engaging at all. The characters were bland and stereotypical, the combat was ridiculously hard, the "surprise" ending was so obvious it was laughable. Luckily i only rented it otherwise i probably would have cried.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

I know, even when I didn't know what it was going to end like, at the very beginning, the first time I saw Josh I thought "Fuck, I'll bet that little bastard's dead, isn't he?" That was how I started my first playthrough: with crushing disappointment at such a seethrough plot.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:I know, even when I didn't know what it was going to end like, at the very beginning, the first time I saw Josh I thought "Fuck, I'll bet that little bastard's dead, isn't he?" That was how I started my first playthrough: with crushing disappointment at such a seethrough plot.
Exactly. I know everyone goes on about how great SH2 is but when i compare the two, SH2 wins hands down. SH2 keeps you guessing until the very end and the work that went into it is incredible. Homecoming felt cheap and, dare i say it, too Americanized. For a next gen game the graphics were pretty bland and the facial animation looked weird.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
AdjectiveRyan

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

two things disappointed me. how token the first black silent hill chararacter was and how you could count 28 teeth in alex's mouth. shiiiiit. other than those 2 things, l found this title quite enjoyable. l liked the fighting. l really liked the unlockable space pistol (or whatever it's called). l just thought of 1 more thing l didn't like too much. scarlet.
SHF

Post by SHF »

AdjectiveRyan wrote:two things disappointed me. how token the first black silent hill chararacter was and how you could count 28 teeth in alex's mouth. shiiiiit. other than those 2 things, l found this title quite enjoyable. l liked the fighting. l really liked the unlockable space pistol (or whatever it's called). l just thought of 1 more thing l didn't like too much. scarlet.
About the teeth....why does that bother you? If anything, it would be seen as good game design, which is usually a good thing....
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's called Uncanny Valley.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
AdjectiveRyan

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

@SHF-it just looked really weird to me. they looked fake as they were so uniform. it seemed to me that he would have trouble eating as there was no room in his mouth for food becase of his chompers.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

AdjectiveRyan wrote:@SHF-it just looked really weird to me. they looked fake as they were so uniform. it seemed to me that he would have trouble eating as there was no room in his mouth for food becase of his chompers.
Maybe he just has a really good dentist? :mrgreen:

Oh, right, Scarlet's father was the community dentist! I forgot about that!
Roux
Just Passing Through

Post by Roux »

Alex did have weird teeth. I noticed myself staring at them in a couple of cutscenes. They seem a wee bit large for his mouth.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

It's just called bad rendering and character design actually. To me there are moments when the character design was off a bit. And in the case of Alex, the character model for him looked both good and bad. The teeth didn't look very realistic to me, because they were as another poster said "too large for his mouth". But other than those moments when you could see his teeth more, and they were more focused on. I guess the character design for him wasn't that terrible.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

OK. We get it, he has bad teeth. The thing is: they wanted to highlit the most of every detail, and so they designed a too big space between Alex's teeth making him look like a hyppo. Happy?
Moosefrenzy

Post by Moosefrenzy »

As a long time SH fan - as soon as I started playing, I didn't care for the fighting system. It felt more focused on fighting your enemies hard rather than surviving through their encounters. I pushed myself to play it as far as I could and stopped when I saw Pyramid Head appear. Double Helix's decision (especially after the movie used the character) to use Pyramid Head in the game was too cliche & that was the moment I ended the game and decided to make my first Silent Hill game trade in.