Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 13 Dec 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 03 Jan 2010
Notes left: 791
I gotta be honest, I haven't seen anything in the newer games that would make me disappointed. Okay, I've only played Origins and Shattered Memories (both as PSP versions) so I cannot and will not comment on Homecoming. Now, neither of the two games are in any way identical to the way the original 4 were. And that's a good thing. Okay, a lot of people think Origins was an attempt to crowbar an SH2 style plot into SH1's storyline (I personally see the series as a load of separate, but interconnected threads, so SH1/3 & 0 is one thread, 2 & 4 are another and Shattered Memories and I guess Homecoming (but wouldn't swear to it) are two others). So, I guess that can be taken as an attempt by a Western company (Climax US originally, Climax UK only got it to touch it up at the end when most of the plot was nailed down) to recreate Team Silent's success. I tend to enjoy Origins just because I can pick it up and play through it (I've played it so many times now that I can pretty much leave it for months on end then come back and instantly know based on save point and what's in the inventory where I am in the game and where to go next.) So, I'm not ashamed of that.

Shattered Memories is also by Climax UK and while it was obviously designed with the Wii in mind, the psp version was acceptable. Yet again, it was to do with SH1, but (spoilers ahead):
[Reveal] Spoiler:
that was to mess with us, the players. Aside from similarly named characters and places, there are no ties to SH1.

A lot of people like to theorise that Shattered Memories is connected to SH1 via SH1's Bad ending, where:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Harry Mason wakes up in his crashed jeep, dying, with the events of the game having all been the dream of a dying mind.

But it's equally enjoyable to play Shattered Memories without trying to tie it into SH1's continuity. And while I've seen a lot of posts about how much 'it sucks', I like Shattered Memories, so again, I'm not ashamed of it either.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 22 Jul 2005
Notes left: 1421
Last seen at: room 302
No, not at all. I thought SHSM was brilliant, 0rigins was okay, SHH was... meh...

Hoping for good things in Downpour, not very excited about Book of Memories, but I don't want to buy a PS Vita anyway, so no big loss there...

They've been hit or miss, but I appreciate that they are trying different things instead of making the same game over and over. If they keep trying new things, there is a chance that sometimes, it'll work well. i still have hope, I guess.

If you're actually ashamed, I think you take it a bit too seriously.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Apr 2007
Notes left: 269
Last seen at: Between MD and NC
Ashamed? No. I actually liked Shattered Memories. I didn't like one enemy in Homecoming which, sadly, the one enemy (Smogger) did ruin the game for me. However both games had a lot of potential and I liked how Shattered Memories took into account the psychological tests and the way you play. I would have liked it a lot more if Harry could have fought the things. Homecoming had a lot of potential as I said and I liked it sans the Smogger. Downpour I am catiously optimistic about. The remake of 2 and 3 I have preordered. I still love 2 as my favourite in series and am excited to see how it will look. I enjoyed 3 a lot and I am excited to see it too in HD.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
I would never say "ashamed," that's overly dramatic. Just dissapointed. Downpour looks good, Book of Lost Memories sounds like a potential train wreck, but we'll have to wait and see before we can actually judge. I haven't liked a SH game since 4, but Downpour looks like it has a chance to change that, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Although IMO none of the western developed Silent Hill games have been good, I would never say westerners aren't capable of making good horror games... that's just silly. Americans have made a lot of great horror movies, you've got your John Carpenter, your David Cronenberg, your Wes Craven... it's only a matter of time before we get a good American horror game. And as I've said before, Minecraft is the scariest game I've played in a long time, and it's western developed. (Well, Finland... but that sort of counts.)

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1015
Last seen at: In your fridge
Downpour: I'm very excited for this game. It looks good and I'm looking forward to having a huge area to explore. I've already got it preordered and can't wait for release.

Book of Memories: It looks fun, but I'll probably never play it unless they port it to a system other than the Vita. It looks like Gauntlet in the Silent Hill universe.

HD Collection: I was pretty excited about this until I heard the new voice-overs. I'm thinking that it's just the change from the more familiar voices that makes it so odd and maybe I'll come to get used to the new voices but, right now I'm not planning on getting this just yet.

Revelations: I'm looking forward to seeing how they tie Silent Hill 3's story into the original film but I'm not getting my hopes up too high for the movie since video game movies don't have a good track record.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what's coming out in the near future and hope the series continues for a long time.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 16 Sep 2010
Notes left: 40
Last seen at: Coffeeshop Zero Zero
You know, every game series that has a hardcore fanbase gets bitched around for their new games I guess. Take Resident Evil for example. I played the remake for the Gamecube so much and it kicked very large amounts of ass in my opinion. When I saw the trailer for RE4, I was very dissapointed. No zombies? Come on, that's no Resident Evil. But it was actually a very awesome game, which I played over and over again. Resident Evil 5, not so much. But as an action game, it's pretty decent I guess.
My point being: When you get attached to a certain game or certain games in a series, you'll obviously will be extremely dissapointed if the new installment is different.
Isn't this the case with everything you get used or attached to? Movies, books, toothpaste etc.
I'm not very excited for Downpour, I admit. The monsters and environments I've seen in trailers and screens are a little dissapointing to me. That's because I'm comparing it to the best horror games I've played. Well, the lesson today is: Give the new games a chance, be open-minded and you'll probably enjoy the shit out of them. Or not...

'Well then. Go back to work, wherever it is you work, whoever you are.'

Rosewater Park Attendant

Tillerman wrote:
Americans have made a lot of great horror movies, you've got your John Carpenter, your David Cronenberg, your Wes Craven.)

Cronenberg is Canadian. I know this because I have a biography of him, and that's the only thing in it that I remember. But then, canada is part of north america.

Anyway, i think saying whole countries are incapable of making decent games is rather stupid and possibly racist. Not every Japanese person is cut out for making great games, and some Americans/Brits/whatever are perfectly capable of making good games. I really can't deal with gross generalizations.

But as for the SH series, I put SHSM among my favorite games in the series, so therefore I can't say "i hate the new games." Even if I sorta disliked SHH.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
Hey, can a mod please change the name of the thread from "ashamed" to "disappointed"? I mean, it shouldn't be that difficult, and it'll stop all these whiny c**** from complaining about melodrama. Please?

EDIT: Okay, the expletive has been deleted, and I'm about to change the thread title, so stop with all the grief-giving to me, please. :/

Last edited by WelcomeToNowhere on 26 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Quote:
it'll stop all these whiny ***** from complaining

Well now, this is front-runner material for Most Ironic Post of 2011.

You go, girl!

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:
Hey, can a mod please change the name of the thread from "ashamed" to "disappointed"?

If you edit your first post, you can do it yourself.

I'll ignore you calling me a whiny expletive for poking fun at your poor word choice.

EDIT: Incidentally, posting this made me realize there's a filter over that word. At the very least, edit your post so it catches the filter, because somebody clearly considers that word very inappropriate.

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
Ashamed of the new games? Nah, that's nothing to be ashamed of i didn't make em. Disappointed in the new games? For the most part yeah, shattered memories wasn't too bad though, even if it wasn't scary at all.

I don't know what to think about the hd collection or downpour yet though.

Quote:
Although IMO none of the western developed Silent Hill games have been good, I would never say westerners aren't capable of making good horror games... that's just silly. Americans have made a lot of great horror movies

Yeah i agree, and westerners have made some great horror games. I enjoyed dead space and doom. But i will say western horror games don't really tend to scare me, so far anyway.

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
I'm not really ashamed of any of the games...for me the newer games are just watered down versions of the earlier games, but i do appreciate the effort in trying to keep the series relevant, and for the most part they have.

The newer games are in no way bad games, they are still quite an enjoyable experience...i hated the combat in homecoming and the plot i could see coming a mile away, but i did like the boss designs and i liked the helldescent and otherworld house levels and i liked Alex as a character...

Shattered memories had great atmosphere during the exploration levels, but fell flat when the otherworld came into play...the raw shocks were incredibly lacking and even tho i get what they were trying to accomplish in terms of having you run and hide, it really wasn't executed properly. I did like the nowhere otherworld level, and the game had a nice twist towards the end of the game and i thought the overall storytelling was great...

I'm getting a positive vibe from downpour, but i'm still not completely sold on the combat and i'd like to see them get rid of that annoying red damage effect and get rid of the flashing weapons/items effect...everything else looks good tho...

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
There were a few things about SHSM that... irked me. The mementos, what... what did they have to do with anything? They just sat in a box, not doing much of anything.

The combat thing. Namely, it not existing. It was cool to be able to struggle with your personal demons, in a LITERAL sense. Getting rid of the combat just got rid of the catharsis of beating a monster shaped like a guy wearing a full-body condom into a bloody smear. It just wasn't... satisfying, you know? :P

And the last thing, that there wasn't an intro video. SH1 had Silent Hill Main Theme with the introduction of the story, SH2 had Theme of Laura and the quick recap of the story up to where James met back up with Maria, SH3 had You're Not Here, SH4 had the Room of Angel/Resting Comfortably medley, even Homecoming had One More Soul To The Call, but SHSM had... nothing. Just a black-gray background. And that made me saddest of all. :C

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
There were a few things about SHSM that... irked me. The mementos, what... what did they have to do with anything? They just sat in a box, not doing much of anything.

They were symbolic. Did you ever examine them?

Quote:
The combat thing. Namely, it not existing. It was cool to be able to struggle with your personal demons, in a LITERAL sense. Getting rid of the combat just got rid of the catharsis of beating a monster shaped like a guy wearing a full-body condom into a bloody smear. It just wasn't... satisfying, you know?

Personally, being able to kill what attacks me without even having to check my health (and knowing I can just down a health drink anyway), doesn't conduct fear for me. Having no oppurtunity to stop and chill out because I'm being chased by intelligent monsters that can operate doorhandles and have enough intelligence to block routes and are also absolutely invincible...pretty scary for me.

Quote:
And the last thing, that there wasn't an intro video. SH1 had Silent Hill Main Theme with the introduction of the story, SH2 had Theme of Laura and the quick recap of the story up to where James met back up with Maria, SH3 had You're Not Here, SH4 had the Room of Angel/Resting Comfortably medley, even Homecoming had One More Soul To The Call, but SHSM had... nothing. Just a black-gray background. And that made me saddest of all. :C

I'll give you that one.

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
I can still enjoy any new SH that comes out. None of them have been completely horrible. It's the stupid side games that aren't apart of the main series that are horrible (SH Arcade, Book of Memories, Play Novel etc...).

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
The SH Arcade was fun, the Play Novel generally well-loved for providing fun side-information, and Book of Memories ain't even out yet.

Rosewater Park Attendant

AuraTwilight wrote:
The SH Arcade was fun, the Play Novel generally well-loved for providing fun side-information, and Book of Memories ain't even out yet.

This. I don't understand why people hate on SHPN. It's a text game, of course there is no action... I haven't played Arcade, but I wish I had. =0\

As for the mementos in SHSM, yeah, they had a purpose, they just didn't affect the endings or anything. I thought they were cool.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 07 Nov 2010
Notes left: 55
You bet I am. Silent Hill: Book of Memories doesn't even look anything remotely like Silent Hill to begin with. I'm tempted to just ignore the franchise after the second Silent Hill movie and maybe Silent Hill: Downpour.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 565
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:

I'll give you that one

And what about the When You're Gone intro?

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 14 Jan 2011
Notes left: 1
Calamity wrote:
Hello overly dramatic fan complaining, haven't heard from you in about .05 seconds around here. How are you?

EmilietheStrange wrote:
^ That. I hate those close minded people who worship team silent like god.

alone in the town wrote:
The way people are reacting to the unpolished sample of an unfinished product leads me to conclude that some fans of this series really need to seek therapy

redrum wrote:
Only thing from this franchise that makes me ashamed is the fans, the TwinPerfect kind of fans.

Dunno why you're all attacking him (WelcometoNowhere) for saying what he thinks!!
Cuz this is 2011, and There's something called free speech...So Y'all should really start behaving like the civilized people you are....
What the guy is saying is right, Re-releasing Sh2,SH3 as (HDs) only reflects how ineffectual Konami has become...not to mention changing developing Studio right after SHHC release to Varta Games which is a Czech developer whose previous projects are : Absolutely Nothing!

There's no way of saying this without sounding like the kind of Japanophile, Naruto cosplaying, subtitle watching Westerner who spends his every waking hour gargling Pocky and cursing the roundness of his eyes, but I expected this the moment the franchise moved out of Japan. I was certain that the new American developers would do what Americans always do: muscle in on another culture's territory, try to impose their own values, and fuck everything up. Just like they did in Iraq.

What I love about Silent Hill(Yeah, TeamSilent ones) is its absolutely peerless storytelling, which, when compared to the general standards of writing in the games industry, makes it look like Ernest Hemingway joining a forum for Invader Zim fan-fiction. I still hold up Silent Hill 2 as the benchmark for video game storytelling and atmosphere. You see, Silent Hill 2 is very good at telling a story without words; everything is drenched in symbolism, It's a fascinating voyage of pain and despair that leaves you emotionally drained and satisfied...

The Fact is The Japanese developers were way too better than The westerns who couldn't have missed the point worse if they'd fired in the wrong direction and the point was in a different country altogether.

So Y'all should really stop acting like the patriots you are not and admit that the SilentHill Fans deserve to "bitch" that Their favorite franchise's quality is declining.
PS: I quoted some my lines from Ben Croshaw,

Last edited by The SilentHillian on 27 Aug 2011, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next