So... Origins.

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Sajun
Just Passing Through

So... Origins.

Post by Sajun »

So I just bought a copy of Origins yesterday. I don't have too much time to browse through posts and most of them seem from around 07 or so anyways.

My question is, how does Origins hold up against the other games? I love 2 and 3 so much, and I've heard Origins has some things that people weren't too happy about, mainly that Travis could leave Silent Hill at any point but for some unexplained reason he doesn't.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: So... Origins.

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's a very solid GAME, but a lot of people find the story unsatisfying and full of plot-holes, so a lot of people consider it non-canon.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Sajun
Just Passing Through

Post by Sajun »

I see. I'll probably still end up playing it through anyway. /shrug

By the way, thanks for this response in my thread back in January I believe:

"In short, Silent Hill is a town that crosses over with an alternate dimension where people's thoughts are made real. People experience the dimension shift due to abnormally strong emotions (such as extreme guilt, fear, loneliness, or in some cases, even religious bliss), and the Otherworld is like a canvas where the painting uses the visitor's mind and emotions as the paints and colors."

That really helped clarify things for me a bit. I have trouble explaining the games to my best friend, who refuses to play them, but still enjoys me telling him about the experience. =)
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

You may or may not have noticed, but there's a thread directly under yours which is basically the same topic, you may want to check it out for more opinions:http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23831
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Origins is amazing. It was my second Silent Hill game and one of my favorites, (third fave tbh.) It's more expandable than the other Silent Hills in a way. You could play it with headphones in broad day light on a subway, or your lunch break, or in the dark in your bed. And it's still terrifying. It's the only game I find scary in daylight as well as the dark.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

AuraTwilight wrote:It's a very solid GAME, but a lot of people find the story unsatisfying and full of plot-holes, so a lot of people consider it non-canon.
Pretty much this.

As far as gameplay goes, in my opinion, it feels more of a Silent Hill game than 4.
I absolutely loved the return to the classic gameplay mechanics.
We are still here...
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I think Origins isn't as good as the first three games, but better than 4 and Homecoming. The level design is good, it's kinda scary, and Travis has a neat personal story. The combat controls stink through, and in general the game feels a little rough around the edges.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Origins has sticky controls like The Room, and it's very much a mixture of SH1 and SH2. From atmosphere to story to everything else (except controls, which are just like The Room, though admittedly slightly better)

The PS2 version is the inferior: It has sound glitches (BGM stops playing after several loops, some sound effects don't trigger) and doesn't match up to the other games on the same platform. The PSP has no glitches that I've run into, has good graphics for the platform, and the advantage of headphone surround sound. If you run off to some abandoned location and play the game, it might actually get to you.

It has its pros and cons. Personally, it's the other SH (the other being The Room) that I have no intention of replaying.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

stopped_clock wrote:You may or may not have noticed, but there's a thread directly under yours which is basically the same topic, you may want to check it out for more opinions:http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23831
Please see the link posted here ^