Chainsaw

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Sajun
Just Passing Through

Chainsaw

Post by Sajun »

I searched, but couldn't quite find a topic that answered what I'm wondering.

Is it actually possible to even use the chainsaw? I beat Silent Hill 2 a few months back and now I'm starting fresh on Hard mode (because I like a challenge) and I'm having the most difficult time using the chainsaw. The basic swing is too slow to kill the Thingsthatpukeonyou, the first enemy you encounter. After a while I discovered the jab move but you don't really control it so it's just as unreliable. I'm not really able to hit one of them without getting hurt at least 1 time, usually more.

So when is this thing actually useful? Or should I just forget about it and use the normal weapons?
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Chainsaw

Post by Typographenia »

If I remember right, the chainsaw has two different functions- lightly and strongly pressing attack button.
If you press the button strongly James will perform the swing you mentioned. If you lightly press it (maybe it's just hold it at the ready?) he will just keep it level and it's much easier to damage with it. Try doing that instead.

Also, just for future reference, this probably belonged in the "daddy help me" section.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

The enemies move a lot faster in hard mode, and the chainsaw is the slowest weapon (besides the Great Knife). It can barely even hit lying figures before they spit on you or run away in normal mode. I wouldn't recommend using it on hard mode. You'll waste too many health drinks. I mean, I don't know, I don't feel confident playing hard mode as it is, so I'm not really one to talk, but I'm just giving some advice.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

The Chainsaw has a good attack that isn't slow. You ready your weapon and press the attack button while running.

This attack makes the first enemies (Lying Figures, Mannequins) fall down. However it doesn't finish them off.
AdjectiveRyan
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

l find the chainsaw to be more and more useless in each game. l gave up on it after dying 4 times.
cmm6016
Just Passing Through

Post by cmm6016 »

Mephisto wrote:The Chainsaw has a good attack that isn't slow. You ready your weapon and press the attack button while running.

This attack makes the first enemies (Lying Figures, Mannequins) fall down. However it doesn't finish them off.
I thought the only weapon you could run and attack with at the same time was the wooden plank. And maybe the steel pipe, but I doubt it.

SH2 on hard mode is a bitch because you have 5 Lying Figures in one hallway, a slow weapon, and limited ammo on another. And even then it takes almost a whole clip to finish off ONE Lying Figure. I'd just run past instead of wasting time with the chainsaw. You learn to get pretty good at in SH3.
'Bout as dead as anyone's bound to get.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

The chainsaw is pretty darn good against the mannequins, even on hard mode. I'm not sure it's good against anything else.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Rainbow Dash
Just Passing Through

Post by Rainbow Dash »

I've never even tried the Chainsaw yet in anything past Easy Mode. So I wouldn't know. But the Chainsaw is a rather slow weapon, I'd much rather just whack enemies with a pipe or pump em' full of bullets. But I guess in an emergency situation; I'd use the Chainsaw. But I haven't tried it past Easy Mode though.
Gotta love "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"!
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

Like Dr. Eggnog said, the chainsaw works fine against mannequins, if you use the jab technique. You just have to time it right. Since the move takes a little time to wind up, press (or hold on Xbox 360) the button before they're in range. You can use the regular, side to side swing as well, but it's just harder because of how slow it is. It's all about having enough patience and depth perception to time it right. I remember having too hard of a time using it ten years ago when I was younger, but I just unlocked it in the HD collection and was using it fine now. Against lying figures, it's practically useless, though. Especially on hard. It's also good against nurses.
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

That chainsaw is worthless and like may people said only use it incase of an emergency, the chainsaw in SH4 is way better than this one.
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

As far as I'm concerned, the only weapons really needed in SH2 are:
(1) The wooden plank, once or twice.
(2) The Handgun, at close range.
(3) The Shotgun, ditto.
The weapon you use most should be your feet, avoiding monsters whenever you can.
The overall combat system, designed to simulate James as a person with no special training, made him about as combat-effective as an 85-year-old grandmother with cataracts and an artificial hip. And about half as accurate.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

I wish there was a chainsaw in Downpour. :(
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

cmm6016 wrote:SH2 on hard mode is a bitch because you have 5 Lying Figures in one hallway, a slow weapon, and limited ammo on another. And even then it takes almost a whole clip to finish off ONE Lying Figure. I'd just run past instead of wasting time with the chainsaw. You learn to get pretty good at in SH3.
Haha, no... Hard Mode's a bitch because you have to run away from Pyramid Head under Brookhaven, and Maria dies in one hit. :)
Arudap
Just Passing Through

Post by Arudap »

After finishing the game on hard countless times I can assure you that the Chainsaw:

-Takes down on the ground any enemy for you to safely stomp it at the slightest touch of its light attack
-Makes fighting Mannequins even more of a joke
-Wrecks the first Pyramid Head fight
-Outranges the Nurses attacks, making them no threat at all save for maybe one instance of them ganging up on you in a hallway, which is avoidable if you manage to take them down one by one or are lucky enough that one of them just turns around and leaves (happens quite often for some reason?)
-Completely demolishes the Doorman boss by keeping it down, requiring barely any timing
-Renders Eddie hopeless in the first phase of the fight
-Renders Eddie hopeless in the second phase of the fight if you successfully stunlock him/trick him into just punching you
-Completely demolishes even regular Doormen, obviously
-Can be a worthy substitute of the Great Knife if you are using tricks/making the two Pyramid Heads block each other in said boss battle

The only problem (and maybe that's why some people may think the Chainsaw is useless, due to first impressions) is the Lying Figures, and even then you can actually use the Chainsaw to take them down: all you have to do is learn the tactic of luring them into taking a step towards you and then quickly going forward and jabbing, giving them no time to react, then proceed to stomp them immediately.

Really, there's a reason this weapon is forbidden in 10 stars ranking runs.
cmm6016 wrote:SH2 on hard mode is a bitch because you have 5 Lying Figures in one hallway.
That only happens if you screw up the Innocent Man riddle I believe.
ChronicShmoke
Just Passing Through

Post by ChronicShmoke »

Arudap wrote:After finishing the game on hard countless times I can assure you that the Chainsaw:

-Takes down on the ground any enemy for you to safely stomp it at the slightest touch of its light attack
-Makes fighting Mannequins even more of a joke
-Wrecks the first Pyramid Head fight
-Outranges the Nurses attacks, making them no threat at all save for maybe one instance of them ganging up on you in a hallway, which is avoidable if you manage to take them down one by one or are lucky enough that one of them just turns around and leaves (happens quite often for some reason?)
-Completely demolishes the Doorman boss by keeping it down, requiring barely any timing
-Renders Eddie hopeless in the first phase of the fight
-Renders Eddie hopeless in the second phase of the fight if you successfully stunlock him/trick him into just punching you
-Completely demolishes even regular Doormen, obviously
-Can be a worthy substitute of the Great Knife if you are using tricks/making the two Pyramid Heads block each other in said boss battle

The only problem (and maybe that's why some people may think the Chainsaw is useless, due to first impressions) is the Lying Figures, and even then you can actually use the Chainsaw to take them down: all you have to do is learn the tactic of luring them into taking a step towards you and then quickly going forward and jabbing, giving them no time to react, then proceed to stomp them immediately.

Really, there's a reason this weapon is forbidden in 10 stars ranking runs.
cmm6016 wrote:SH2 on hard mode is a bitch because you have 5 Lying Figures in one hallway.
That only happens if you screw up the Innocent Man riddle I believe.
Sadly I am no bad ass like you so I had different slightly mixed results with my chainsaw use. It's a real shame too since I'm such a big fan of Evil Dead too and the actual chainsaw in Silent Hill 2 is directly modeled after the chainsaw in the first Evil Dead movie.