Why is Vincent in Silent Hill? *Spoilers*

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

The Draco
Just Passing Through

Why is Vincent in Silent Hill? *Spoilers*

Post by The Draco »

I may be wrong about this but i've noticed a reoccurring theme in the Silent Hill games is that the people who end up there usually had some sort of trauma or feel some sort of guilt. Claudia was abused by her father and is trying to bring back the god of the town, Heather is the reincarnation of Alessa and had a bad time at the church when he was young, and Douglas shot his own son so it makes sense that these three would be there. The only thing you learn about Vincent's past is about him using church donations on himself, which doesn't seem to me like it would be something to warrant a trip to SH. Is it simply because he's part of the cult? What do you guys think?
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Why is Vincent in Silent Hill? *Spoilers*

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Pretty much. He's a part of the Cult and provides insight for the protagonist.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Silent Hill 3 is different from SH2. Everyone there is in the Otherworld because of Heather, just like everyone was there in SH1 purely because of Alessa.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Aerith Gainsborough

You know, I pose a question myself. It really must depend on what you see of Vincent, though since he is part of the cult, he would probably still not be innocent, but...do you find Vincent an innocent bystander dragged in, just as Douglas is. But, would you find him one of the forces? I think of Vincent as a neutral character. He's not harming the protagonist, but he would if they were going against his wishes. I'm sure Aura shall provide some nice insight on this.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, aside from him and Claudia, a bunch of miscellaneous cultists got pulled in to be the missionary/scraper monsters, there's arguably the nurses and Leonard if they weren't in the Otherworld anyway, and there's also Stanley and the guy on the phone. So who knows wtf.

I would imagine that since Claudia initiated the shift, she had an influence over who entered it even if she couldn't control it's shape like Heather does. Either Vincent got pulled in because Claudia thought he was trustworthy/useful at the time, or, as I suspect very much, she and Vincent have a personal relationship. He apparently saw Claudia get hit by her father, so they probably knew each other as children...

Was Vincent the third member of a trio with Alessa and Claudia, perhaps? Or atleast a classmate? Did Vincent possibly act as a friend or support for Claudia after Alessa's "death"?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Guilt as a plot engine really only applies to Silent Hill 2. And, even then, not entirely. There are plenty of other reasons a person might find themselves in nightmare Disneyworld.
Aerith Gainsborough

AuraTwilight wrote:Well, aside from him and Claudia, a bunch of miscellaneous cultists got pulled in to be the missionary/scraper monsters, there's arguably the nurses and Leonard if they weren't in the Otherworld anyway, and there's also Stanley and the guy on the phone. So who knows wtf.

I would imagine that since Claudia initiated the shift, she had an influence over who entered it even if she couldn't control it's shape like Heather does. Either Vincent got pulled in because Claudia thought he was trustworthy/useful at the time, or, as I suspect very much, she and Vincent have a personal relationship. He apparently saw Claudia get hit by her father, so they probably knew each other as children...

Was Vincent the third member of a trio with Alessa and Claudia, perhaps? Or atleast a classmate? Did Vincent possibly act as a friend or support for Claudia after Alessa's "death"?
I feel as if Leonard and Claudia shared a mutual bond of wanting God to come hastily. He seems very intent on that, as well. Even though their personal relationship wasn't very good, they probably had that going for them. This could be why he tells Heather not to trust Claudia, that he's on her side, and etc. He's luring her in so that the Order has her. Or, perhaps Claudia thought her dad was on her side, and that's why he got brought in to the Otherworld. He acts as if she's a fool, and even says, "Why must we reward even the unbelievers?" I really think the latter is what is most likely. As for the nurses, it's probably simply due to metempsychosis, as well as brought upon by the memories of Alessa.

You could be right. Vincent looks similar in age, and they all three could have went to school together, and their parents could have all been part of the cult, as well. Vincent knows a lot about Claudia's past, like you said, whether that be from seeing it himself, or Claudia confiding in Vincent.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

He literally says, "I saw the way he hit you, kicked you, made you cry."

He knew Claudia as a child, or atleast was a classmate in a position to see Leonard abuse his daughter. Either he was such a loose cannon that he did it in public (very probable) or he must have been over to her house or something.
Aerith Gainsborough

^Who knows. He seems like a very loose cannon. Leonard could have been abusing her in a room in the church and Vincent walk past and see them through a crack in the wall, or stumbles upon it. Who exactly knows.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Still, it's not just that but also their tone of voice with each other. They're clearly on personal terms, whether it's because of their childhood or because of their adult work. But since Vincent knew of her abuse as a child anyway, it seems neater to conflate the two together.
Droo

Post by Droo »

alone in the town wrote:Guilt as a plot engine really only applies to Silent Hill 2.
Also Travis from Origins and, some would argue, Homecoming.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You mean the Silent Hills no one gives a shit about where any guilt storylines are ripped right out from SH2 and are overshadowed by cliche cult plots anyway?
Droo

Post by Droo »

Well, I've been vocal in the past about how I think Homecoming ends up suggesting that the cult nonsense from SH1, 3, 4, and Origins can perhaps be explained that the town makes ones BELIEFS reality, and that there's not much difference then between the manifestations of SH2's characters and the religious fanatics driving the aforementioned games' events.
Lives in the mirror"
alone in the town

I never saw Origins as a guilt plot, more like a "this shit bothers me a lot and I never came to terms with it so (in some way the game never bothers explaining) it is fucking up my life" plot.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Well, perhaps it's more about tapping into one's deepest darkest issues and forcing them to confront them?
Lives in the mirror"
alone in the town

I can go with that, because I don't think the role of guilt in the second game is vastly overblown.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

I actually had several questions about Silent Hill 3 but was afraid to post a new thread in it's board in the case someone already posted something like it before...

What exactly is the otherworld/fogworld in SH3 made of? My thoughts have always been that their a combination of Heather's fears/nightmares and Claudia's inserted monsters and stuff. Even still I'm a little confused about it.

What really happened and what didn't really happened in SH3? Did Heather really puke a fetus? Did Claudia really ATE a fetus? Did this fetus really mutated into a huge monster?

I know they sound silly, but it would be awesome of anyone to answer them. :lol:
Aerith Gainsborough

^You would be right. The Otherworld/Fogworld are definitely caused by both Heather's fear and the influence of Claudia.Some of the monsters are caused by Alessa's fears and interests (Dogs, Insects), others symbolize her treatment, and The Missionary, Scraper, and possibly Leonard monsters are the influence of Claudia.

Yes, she really puked it out and Claudia 'ate' it(2Girls, 1God, of course!). Well, the fetus was mostly formed, though it was a bit premature due to being expelled by the Aglaophotis before it was truly meant to be birthed (That's why She looks so deformed).
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

Well, I must say, I would love to see a fetus born that huge, lol! :lol:

I guess it just has to do with the different dimensions mumbo-jumbo. Crazy things can happen in the otherworld/fogworld that can't possibly happen in the real world...or something like that.
Droo

Post by Droo »

FrankRD wrote:I actually had several questions about Silent Hill 3 but was afraid to post a new thread in it's board in the case someone already posted something like it before...

What exactly is the otherworld/fogworld in SH3 made of? My thoughts have always been that their a combination of Heather's fears/nightmares and Claudia's inserted monsters and stuff. Even still I'm a little confused about it.

What really happened and what didn't really happened in SH3? Did Heather really puke a fetus? Did Claudia really ATE a fetus? Did this fetus really mutated into a huge monster?

I know they sound silly, but it would be awesome of anyone to answer them. :lol:
Did you check the SH3 quicklinks? It's a compilation of several discussions/threads that the Staff has deemed important. Your questions may be answered in the threads linked within.
Lives in the mirror"