Console wars.

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Console wars.

Post by silenthillking »

Witch console does homecoming look better on

for that matter any silent hill game.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Console wars.

Post by Typographenia »

Strictly console, I believe I remember ps3 being a little better (but who can honestly tell, most of the time) when it was released.

No console restriction, every game looks better on the pc because you can mess with the settings and force the renders.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

But which witch is which?
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Who cares?

That will stop you from playing the game on either console? Christ. . .
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

SH 2, 3, 4 and HC all look best on a decent PC with the resolution and such turned up (although my copy of HC is buggy as hell), but strictly in terms of consol versions, here's what I think.

SH 2 - Xbox
SH 3 - PS2 (duh)
SH 4 - Xbox
SH: HC - PS3
SH: SM - Wii

SH:O could really go either way, I'd say PSP because it looks great scaled down, and i think some of the touched up models in the PS2 version look a little funny.

Also, Mephisto, whats up with the attitude, man? It's a pretty legit question the OP asked. No one mentioned "not playing" anything, so I'm not even sure what you meant by that.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillking »

dr bones wrote:SH 2, 3, 4 and HC all look best on a decent PC with the resolution and such turned up (although my copy of HC is buggy as hell), but strictly in terms of consol versions, here's what I think.

SH 2 - Xbox
SH 3 - PS2 (duh)
SH 4 - Xbox
SH: HC - PS3
SH: SM - Wii

SH:O could really go either way, I'd say PSP because it looks great scaled down, and i think some of the touched up models in the PS2 version look a little funny.

Also, Mephisto, whats up with the attitude, man? It's a pretty legit question the OP asked. No one mentioned "not playing" anything, so I'm not even sure what you meant by that.
thanks for the reply have you played SH HC on the Xbox 360 as well as the ps3
is so can you tell my why you prefer the ps3 version.Also same here my SH HC is buggy as hell on the PC must of fell out of of the map a hundred times.
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

360 and PS3 version are quite similar, I played through first on PS3 at my friend's house and eventually bought it for 360. The difference is pretty negligible, but some of the textures seem slightly clearer and I think the lighting looks slightly better. Honestly, It's been since 2007 since I played that so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

Plus, my hands have spent more time holding Playstation controllers, and it's what I prefer.

My 360 version is pretty buggy too, tbh. They really should have taken a little more time to iron those out...
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

You really can't go wrong with either system in terms of visuals, as they're both practically identical. i can't comment on performance for the 360 as i do have a ps3, but like the reasons stated above, i absolutely love the ps3 controller, and that is actually one of the main reasons i like sony's console (outside of a few exclusives as well).
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

does the ps3 version of homecoming freeze if you try to skip the mine elevator cutscene?
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i dont think so
MissPeekachoo
Just Passing Through

Post by MissPeekachoo »

I bought HC for the 360 and nearly switched the game off about 30 mins in because it was so dark, I literally couldn't see things onscreen. When I got to the Shepherd's House, it became unplayable - the hall and kids' room were absolutely pitch black. I know it's not the way the game is meant to be because on the brightness control in the options it says to adjust until the middle line is visible (or something like that) and even at the highest setting it could barely be seen. I eventually went back and completed the game by turning TV to full brightness/ colour etc etc and it was ok, but some of the cutscenes were still so dark I couldn't tell what was happening. My TV's pretty new so I know it's not that. I've heard a lot of 360 games are a bit too dark but this is the first one I've found to be almost unplayably so (without sufficient in-game brightness control). I wish they hadn't made the game just SO very dark, it hampered my enjoyment considerably. However, I bet the PS3 version is better, and I've also heard that with a special cable, all Xbox 360 games have light enough graphics.

The bugs are another issue entirely - after messing up my game a couple of times, I went back used a walkthrough. Not because I couldn't do it on my own, but because I was so scared I'd inadvertantly trigger another glitch. Plus I didn't want to do some of the more tedius sections again. I dunno if one system is more buggy than the other, but the glitches really spoiled it a bit for me. A shame.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

PC you can enhance the graphics.
PC will always have the best graphics but can be buggy. (which is not a big deal)
SH3 on PC you can make the Internal Res at 4096X4096max. while the ps2 only sticks with 512X448.
But most games are funner on a Console though.
shaka
Just Passing Through

Post by shaka »

I'm sure it looks and plays much better on PS3.
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/shaka-de-virgo/fgfgfggf5dq.jpg[/img]
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The lighting effects and characters have much more detail to them on the Xbox 360 version. The game's engine seems to be more optimized for the 360.

Anyway, the PC version can potentially look the best. You can get the texture resolution up higher by tweaking the config file.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I had a lot more problems with Homecoming on the PS3. It often froze when I attempted to save and when cutscenes were ending. I played through about 3 or 4 times on each console (got it for 360 when my PS3 died) and have yet to experience similar problems on the XBox.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I believe the PS3 and XBOX games look about the same graphically speaking--which is awful. No matter which console you get it on, it is going to look horrible. That game is just made that way unfortunately. I heard that the PC version looks a bit better (as PC games will look when compared to console games for the most part) but, has a lot higher rate of glitches. Models disappearing because of skipping cutscenes and the like.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

Crap, I didn't even know there was a difference!
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

There are always differences between PC and console games. Always has been and will continue to be. But between consoles, the differences are minimal. You won't miss too much by choosing one over the other.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

Harrys_Girl wrote:There are always differences between PC and console games. Always has been and will continue to be. But between consoles, the differences are minimal. You won't miss too much by choosing one over the other.
Well, that difference between consoles and computer I did know, of course, you cannot expect the same quality from a console, since a computer was made to run several process at the same time and depeding on the computer the difference may be huge.

Of course I'm talking about good PCs, if you refer to a 286 then it won't even support it.