How to make it looks like SH1

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

How to make it looks like SH1

Post by NemesisFY »

Hello.

I want to know a simple thing, what are the answers I need to put on the pshychatric test to make the game most similar to Silent Hill 1.

Also I would like to know if it's scarier, else I'll play Origins this weekend!

(Halloween, can't miss that).
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: How to make it looks like SH1

Post by alone in the town »

There is absolutely nothing you can do to make Shattered Memories resemble Silent Hill any more or less than it already does. The changes affected by behavior and therapy change things only in subtle ways.

It's not as scary as Origins but it's a hell of a lot better.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

/\ Yeah but I mean the small things, like Cybil's outfit. In the sexy version she looks more like SH1.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

To get the "sexy" Cybil, focus on staring at the calendar in the auto shop, and say "yes" to more of the sexual things on the checklist.
Basically, just act more sleezy than anything. Try to avoid doing too many other things because it could cancel out what you've got going.

It's not a perfect system to accomplish a set result, so you might have to do it more than once.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

/\ But that was just an exemple, there are more aspects that can be made similar to SH1.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

No, there really... isn't.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

/\ Got it know, just finished.

Lol it really has nothing to do with SH1. Besides Harry lost is looking for his daughter
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yes it does. It's just the connections to SH1 are allegorical.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

There are definitely some parallels. I'm fine with thinking it doesn't have much to do with SH1 besides the basic original plot of searching for Cheryl, because that reinforces the idea that it's a complete reimagining and never meant to be a remake (which might hopefully defend it from some critiques). At the same time, there are bits and pieces that reflect the original.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yes it does. It's just the connections to SH1 are allegorical.
Can you mention then perhaps?

Because as I see it
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Shattered Memories is just the story of a girl named Cheryl with psychologic problems because of the lost of her father, all that was her madness, or whatever you call it.

Silent Hill no, it was really happening, there was the Order behind and everything there was real. Harry Manson was not from Silent Hill and he went there. on Shattered Memories it is all different, he is a man who died on a car accident on his home town, Silent Hill, and his daughter is nuts.

Michael Kaufmann is just a shrink and along with all the others characters there is nothing supernatural there. Much difference, don't you think?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Think of it this way. SM makes us Cheryl. We play as her in the therapist's office.

Now, her main issue is that Harry Mason died, and she thought he was invincible.

How was Harry treated in the original series? He was so badass he KILLED A GOD, and ended up getting killed while sleeping in his chair in the sequel like a weak old man.

Pretty much everyone was just as messed up as Heather, and really wanted Claudia dead. Pretty much everyone on these forums thought that Harry didn't deserve to die that way.

Do you see where I'm going with this? We're being told that Harry wasn't a superhero. He had flaws. And, dammit, we need to learn to let him go.

There's been so many sequels, prequels, alternate universe games and movies and stuff, and this game is essentially a final goodbye to the "Harry/Cheryl Mason" story. A rose put on the coffin so that Harry Mason can live in peace, and Cheryl Heather Mason can live a life not defined by her father.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

/\ I still see as it has nothing to do with the story SH1/SH3.

And even the most badass Sylvester Rambo Rocky Stallone can be killed if sleeping, you are not expecting it.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

/\ I still see as it has nothing to do with the story SH1/SH3.
I said it was allegorical. Do you understand what that term means?
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

NemesisFY wrote:Hello.

I want to know a simple thing, what are the answers I need to put on the pshychatric test to make the game most similar to Silent Hill 1.

Also I would like to know if it's scarier, else I'll play Origins this weekend!

(Halloween, can't miss that).
Take the Friendly/Family PI route.

When the Friendliness route is taken, SM Harry behaves very similarly to SH Harry. Just like in 1, Harry is a generally amiable, intelligent guy. He is intensely focused on finding his daughter above everything else, ignoring all distractions along the way. In conversation with others, he'll spend most of his time talking about his search for Cheryl (In other routes, he'll spend more time talking about himself or engaging the other person in conversation about themselves.) Or, if not the search, then details about Cheryl herself; at one point he fondly talks about her interest in bugs; "pretty bugs" he later specifies. And what he says to Cheryl at the ending of the Family route suggests the same heart-felt empathy that he expresses to Heather in his final letter to her from Silent Hill 3. Of all the routes, I felt that the Friendliness & Family was true to the Harry we know from 1 & 3. (Clearly Alcohol and Sex PI are an obvious departure.)
AuraTwilight wrote:Think of it this way. SM makes us Cheryl. We play as her in the therapist's office.

Now, her main issue is that Harry Mason died, and she thought he was invincible.

How was Harry treated in the original series? He was so badass he KILLED A GOD, and ended up getting killed while sleeping in his chair in the sequel like a weak old man.

Pretty much everyone was just as messed up as Heather, and really wanted Claudia dead. Pretty much everyone on these forums thought that Harry didn't deserve to die that way.

Do you see where I'm going with this? We're being told that Harry wasn't a superhero. He had flaws. And, dammit, we need to learn to let him go.

There's been so many sequels, prequels, alternate universe games and movies and stuff, and this game is essentially a final goodbye to the "Harry/Cheryl Mason" story. A rose put on the coffin so that Harry Mason can live in peace, and Cheryl Heather Mason can live a life not defined by her father.
Beautifully said.
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Post by NemesisFY »

/\ Aye, I noticed that after I finished the game.

@Aura:

No I don't really got it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory

Basically, it means all the connections are symbolic. For instance, Harry dies in SH3, and Heather never really stops to deal with that. In Shattered Memories, Cheryl deals with her father's death and comes to accept it and deal with her grief. In a SYMBOLIC sense, it could be like a sequel to Heather's emotional storyline, even though the two games are in different universes.

Does that make sense?
MapDark
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MapDark »

The major plot point are EXACTLY the same when you think about it

Car Crash
Walking out to search for Cheryl
Meeting with Cybil
following clues to go to house on LEVIN street
Going to Midwich School
Heading to Balkan church/nightclub
Meeting Dahlia
Having to lower the bridge
Ending up in Alchemilla hospital
Meeting Lisa
Going to Simmons street
Visiting the Green Lion antiques/pawn shop
Going through the sewers
Goign through Annie's bar
Going to the Lakeside amusement park
Heading for the Lighthouse
Finding Cheryl and game ending

Everything that is actually different is in the details.
Heather Mason , the only girl who will face deadly danger
by going to the mall for hair bleach !!

[img]http://furnation.com/mapdark/maplick.gif[/img]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

This is the way I drawn the main parallels.

Silent Hill''s plot deals with a girl who's been tormented by the Order, leaded by her own mother. She is the one who wants to bring God to earth and uses dr. Kauffman to do so. Moreover, to achieve her goal, she has to drag Alessa through an extremely painful nightmare, causing her to bring to life her most terrible nightmares and delusions. 7 years later, Harry is searching for Cheryl (a part of Alessa).

Silent Hill Shattered Memories deals with a girl, who's father died 18 years ago. From then she is unable to accept it. Her mother Dahlia, then decided to bring the truth on surface and is willing to drag her through painful therapies and later hires dr. Kauffman to cure her daughter. However, Cheryl believes her father is a knight in shiny armor, who's coming to rescue her from her evil mother and the terrifying world.

Dahlia's goal in both titles:
birth of God = acceptance

Dahlia uses Kauffman:
to help bringing God to earth = to help bringing the truth on surface

Dahlia torments her daughter
by giving her hallucinogenic drugs and keeping her isolated= by dragging her through painful therapies.

And finally, in both games, Harry must save his loving daughter.

If someone interprets SM this way, all of the other (minor) allegorical parallels are oblivous.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

Alessa's and Cheryl's roles in those games are also similar. In the original game, Alessa's nightmare manifested itself into the town, making creature of her unconscious mind.
Cheryl's mind in SM manifest the ice world and creatures with methapors of her traumas and unconscious mind.
Not to mention the fact that Alessa gives to harry the keys to reach Balkan. In Shattered Memories Michele (who is seen in the same way of Alessa's at the end of the school level) guides Harry to the Balkan.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga