Smiling Picture Person

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Smiling Picture Person

Post by peronmls »

I think the smile they took for SH3 is Marilyn Monroes'

Last edited by peronmls on 31 Oct 2011, edited 3 times in total.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Re: Smile Picture Person

Post by VenusDoom »

Actually it's this one from the SH1 soundtrack Image ^-^ But nice observation anyway!
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Fucking good find, peronmls! It is an exact match. The eye test confirms it. The SH3 mouth is a slight alteration of that photo.

Very well done!

It definitely isn't Lisa's mouth, we confirmed that years ago.
Hades
Just Passing Through

Post by Hades »

VenusDoom wrote:Actually it's this one from the SH1 soundtrack
There are no similarities between the two, besides both mouths being open. :?

The Marilyn Monroe comparison is spot on!
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Wow. I was wrong, always assumed it was Lisa, wow, nice find indeed!
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

That's fucking amazing, OP! This blows my mind! Very similar match, I'm with Ryan on this one.

Also, to you who were thinking/claiming that the mouth is supposed to represent Lisa, or Lisa's mouth from the SH1 OST cover, it's not. It has been said that it is supposed to represent Alessa screaming. I remember this being discussed sometime last year or so, as well as the meaning behind the bleeding ear (which represents madness, if I do remember correctly).
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Its not Lisa's smile. Ito M. says they really represent Alessa’s “shrieking insanity.”
NemesisFY
Just Passing Through

Re: Smiling Picture Person

Post by NemesisFY »

Of course is not Lisa's smile, she is smilling facing left, the photo is right, and incredible, it's really Marilyn Monroe.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

NemesisFY wrote:Of course is not Lisa's smile, she is smilling facing left, the photo is right, and incredible, it's really Marilyn Monroe.
The smile is mirrored sometimes in different levels
Aerith Gainsborough

NemesisFY wrote:Of course is not Lisa's smile, she is smilling facing left, the photo is right, and incredible, it's really Marilyn Monroe.
I reworded my post, but anyway...

It's not that people really thought it looked exactly like her smile from the Silent Hill OST, it's just that the fact that she is smiling in it, and that this smile is big, showing off very pearly, adult teeth (Not really the teeth you would see on a seven year old girl, honestly), then it really gave people the impression that it could have been used to represent Lisa or just Lisa's smile. It's easy to see it, and I actually thought the same before Ito spoke up. Either way, you're right, it's not supposed to represent her smile, like I said. It's supposed to represent Alessa screaming, or shrieking.

It better explains all of that here.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The three smiles are different (Especially Lisa's), you can see the gums and the tongue in the photo from SH3 and the mouth angle is also different... The expression is the same but the photos are different...
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

KageReneko wrote:The three smiles are different (Especially Lisa's), you can see the gums and the tongue in the photo from SH3 and the mouth angle is also different... The expression is the same but the photos are different...
They re-drew the picture and also added color. The tongue it fake and drawn on. It's the same smile but drawn again to look better. Technical the photos are different but its the same smile took from her. That's why its not fuzzy like the zoomed in one because its drawn with color.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

Wow!! peronmls, you're awesome. I've always been curious about that mouth. That sounds wrong...

It really does look like Marilyn's mouth in that photo. Amazing. That must've been where they got it. Now we just have to figure out the inspiration for the ear.

One thing I've always been weirded out by is the fact that the nostril is blocked/blurred out in the SH3 mouth picture. :? I wonder why they did that?
Hades
Just Passing Through

Post by Hades »

Yoshata wrote: Now we just have to figure out the inspiration for the ear.
Can someone provide a picture of the ear for me?
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

The bleeding ear represents Alessa anger. We probably wont find that persons ear anywhere. LOL
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

That's most likely her. Good job!
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
Aerith Gainsborough

KageReneko wrote:The three smiles are different (Especially Lisa's), you can see the gums and the tongue in the photo from SH3 and the mouth angle is also different... The expression is the same but the photos are different...
That's why AiTT said that the smile in Silent Hill 3 is an alteration of the Marilyn picture, not an exact replica. They probably used that photo when designing the mouth for the game. I mean, come on, they use lots of former media as inspirations, so why not one of the most famous women in the 20th century, let alone in entire history?

About the ear, yeah you're probably not going to find a reference for that, but who knows, right? I always thought the ear looked way too small for the head (or a head in general). Eh, I can't really judge, though. I have very tiny ears. Haha.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Very nice find. There's already some discussion on the symbolism of the mouth and ear in this thread from the Quicklinks. It's been quiet for a year, but there are some interesting thoughts there, including word from Masahiro Ito on the subject.
Xev

Post by Xev »

I never noticed the nose had no nostril...
Hades
Just Passing Through

Post by Hades »

Xev wrote:I never noticed the nose had no nostril...
They probably did it to make it less obvious that it's part of a picture of Marilyn Monroe, and to simulate the graphics; make it less obvious that's it's an actual picture of someone, and more of a 3D model.