Silent Hill Downpour Appreciation Thread

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

heaven_smile
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hill Downpour Appreciation Thread

Post by heaven_smile »

i feel like this game is being made for me, everything i wanted to see is making it in there. otherworld mind games and surreal set pieces, siren style combat, a more open exploratory feel, rain and water everywhere, i'm truly excited! i think this will most likely be the best of the western created silent hills and definately it seems like a big improvement over homecoming.
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

@Hydra666- I was looking at the screens you edited there, when it reminded me of that 40 min. preview that Whitney posted up for us. At one point in the video, there was a devloper commentary in the upper left hand corner of the screen that said: "LIGHTING NEEDS TO BE REBUILT". So you just might get your wish for a darker enviroment. I doubt they'll add in more fog though. Since rain seems to be the replacement for the radio now...

Yep. Just another day in Silent Hill...
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I remember reading somewhere that the radio might be in Downpour...
I don't know. Can anyone back me up on that?
EDIT:
Ok, so I've found this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xk11J4 ... edded|here
It's an off-screen playthrough at Gamescom. It shows Murphy finding a walkie-talkie on the roof of the gas station at about 4:20. Perhaps it will emit static as well as receive transmissions?
The video shows details I hadn't seen before as well. Ex. The map picked up at the front of the gas station. And what looks like ash falling from the sky.
I hope you guys take a look at the address I provided. :wink:
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Chris Redfield wrote:@Hydra666- I was looking at the screens you edited there, when it reminded me of that 40 min. preview that Whitney posted up for us. At one point in the video, there was a devloper commentary in the upper left hand corner of the screen that said: "LIGHTING NEEDS TO BE REBUILT". So you just might get your wish for a darker enviroment. I doubt they'll add in more fog though. Since rain seems to be the replacement for the radio now...
Was that not simply because the flashlight didn't work during the void chase sequence?
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

@thy_butcher- Strange. I remember hearing that it starts raining whenever enemies are nearby. So I figured if that's the case, then the radio wouldn't be used for much more than nostalgic purposes, I guess...

@stopped_clock- But if "just" the flashlight needed to be rebuilt, wouldn't you think they'd have been more specific in the note? I know the flashlight was glitchy, but still...

thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

@ Chris Redfield,
Here's how I see it:
The rain (and water) is linked to Murphy's PTSD. It's a key feature for Downpour; linked directly to Murphy's psyche.
The walkie-talkie will be a transmission device as well I assume, like in Homecoming.
It will emit static when a monster is in your direct vicinity, whereas the rain is linked to overall danger and the degradation of Murphy's mental state.
You'll have to be cautious no matter what in Downpour. But if it's storming or something like that, then you should be worried. The walkie-talkie will be there to say "a monster is RIGHT THERE WITH YOU." Assuming it actually does work like in previous SH games.
That is just how I see it.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Chris Redfield wrote:@thy_butcher- Strange. I remember hearing that it starts raining whenever enemies are nearby. So I figured if that's the case, then the radio wouldn't be used for much more than nostalgic purposes, I guess...
From the information we've been given that's not quite how it's going to work, it's not the proximity of monsters that causes the rain but rather the intensity of the rain that defines how likely you are to run into monsters. There will still be monsters when it's not raining so you won't be able to use it as a warning system in the way that the radio static was used in the earlier titles.
Chris Redfield wrote:@stopped_clock- But if "just" the flashlight needed to be rebuilt, wouldn't you think they'd have been more specific in the note? I know the flashlight was glitchy, but still...
You might be right, but the message only appears in the one section of the demo where the flashlight was glitched, whereas if they were rebuilding all the lighting to give the game a darker look you'd think it would appear throughout. That section is also the section of the demo with the most complicated lighting, courtesy of the red glowing void so if it's not the flashlight that the note is referring to then it's likely the lighting created by the void.

If anyone wants the game to appear darker then you can just turn down the gamma, the demo I played at eurogamer was plenty dark. Couldn't see a damn thing without Murphy's lighter.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

@ stopped_clock- So that's how the rain will work, eh? And I guess only time will tell with the lighting. And what was the demo like overall? How do you think it compares to the past entires in the series from what you saw?

teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

stopped_clock wrote:
Chris Redfield wrote:@thy_butcher- Strange. I remember hearing that it starts raining whenever enemies are nearby. So I figured if that's the case, then the radio wouldn't be used for much more than nostalgic purposes, I guess...
From the information we've been given that's not quite how it's going to work, it's not the proximity of monsters that causes the rain but rather the intensity of the rain that defines how likely you are to run into monsters. There will still be monsters when it's not raining so you won't be able to use it as a warning system in the way that the radio static was used in the earlier titles.
I always thought that the rain system was random, but the more rain there is the more likely you are to run into certain monsters in given areas: therefore rain doesn't necessarily mean you're going to encounter monsters, etc., but that the monsters encountered are some what more likely to be more aggressive, stronger, or larger in quantity.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Tomm & Devin have stated in interviews that Downpour features a "dynamic weather system." I think that means the rain will come & go randomly as well as vary in intensity.
stopped_clock nailed it in the above post. I'm sure what stopped_clock said is how it works.

I have no clue where to post this...so I suppose here will do...
Pyramid_Face, if you read this, can you give any clarification as to whether or not Downpour will feature DLC? It's a question that has been on my mind for months.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

^ I hope that if there is DLC it will be additional scenarios and not additional content in the main game.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

leftshoe18 wrote:^ I hope that if there is DLC it will be additional scenarios and not additional content in the main game.

For the love of God! please let there be no DLC's involved in this...it's just a new way to rip off consumers from enjoying their game fully...they did it to Alan wake...giving the game an incomplete cliffhanger ending just to make the players get more DLC's to see how the story ends.....
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

^ That's the kind of crap that annoys me with DLC. If it's like Born From A Wish type additional scenarios, then I don't mind.
Chris Redfield
Just Passing Through

Post by Chris Redfield »

If they wind up making DLC, they'd better include a Retail Disc Version as well(like the R.E. 5 Gold Edition). But that makes me wonder how long the delay will be between Downpour's release, and the DLC release...

leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

RE5 Gold Edition didn't have a disc with the DLC (at least not the Xbox 360 version) it was just a code to download it.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ I agree that I'd be ok with DLC if it was in the same vein as "Born From A Wish."
However I do honesty hope for no DLC...but that's just my problem.
WordsOfSilent
Just Passing Through

Post by WordsOfSilent »

Let see the game first and then to speak for DLS. I hate too the idea for that but i always ready to give a chance for this game from what i was watch this year. Korn is... well, good feeling, not like Akira, but if this series must go on, i thing the destinationt must me in difrent way from the last ones. I mean... it is clear that the name Silent Hill is just a name (personal opinion), but the old feelings are still in our heart when we hear the development of another game in the series. I hope only that it would be good, but to be named Silent Hill is an honor not given soo easily. We'll see.

Sorry if my eng is bad.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ I think English is just bad overall.
Hahaha
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Yo! Shut up with the whole DLC talk guys, there are members of the team lurking around! :o

Seriously, just look at Activison and Capcom. Do you want Konami to become like them? Everything should be in the disk already. Fuck DLC's.........
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Agreed.
If there is additional content it should come free.
I'm stingy and feel entitled, even if I'm not.
What can I say?

Pay-For DLC doesn't break the bank... but it is really annoying.