The Order Is Confirmed

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

The Order Is Confirmed

Post by FrankRD »

Bassett himself has now confirmed that The Order from the game universe is the one appearing in SH:R, not the cult from the first movie.

Proof 1:

Proof 2:

All credits from second proof belong to teosoleil.
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Re: The Order Is Confirmed

Post by cascade88 »

I liked The Order from the games, so, this is good news to me.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

This is a funny thread title.

I wonder what this actually means for the story of the movie. Now we have multiple cults?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

alone in the town wrote:This is a funny thread title.

I wonder what this actually means for the story of the movie. Now we have multiple cults?
Didn't Gans once say that the cult from the first movie wasn't the only cult around...? Or am I just talking out of my ass?
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

Yuki wrote:

Didn't Gans once say that the cult from the first movie wasn't the only cult around...? Or am I just talking out of my ass?
I wouldn't know. All I do know is that the cult from the first movie was a cult that was barely mentioned in the games. And, to make this sequel as close to SH3 as possible, The Order just had to be included somehow. Now, there's definitely a lot of ground to cover with this addition, but I have faith in Bassett so I won't worry.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Oui, it was already posted right here. (Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rule that if it's already been posted in a certain thread, the topic pertains to there only? And it was related to the topic of the previous thread, etc.)

FrankRD wrote:
Yuki wrote:

I wouldn't know. All I do know is that the cult from the first movie was a cult that was barely mentioned in the games. And, to make this sequel as close to SH3 as possible, The Order just had to be included somehow. Now, there's definitely a lot of ground to cover with this addition, but I have faith in Bassett so I won't worry.
I don't think the cult from the first movie was mentioned in the games at all, and the Order was not just included to make it as close to SH3 as possible, but to tie up strings from the previous film and to make room for a SH2 or another SH movie that would make more sense, if I'm not mistaken (forgot where that was said, though.)

I just hope Basset gets some mythos right :| Maybe a bit of added mythology would be great, too.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I had this figured out back when the picture was released that had a giant Halo of the Sun in it. This isn't really news to me.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Couldn't "SH1" mean the first game? and "The Order" mean the cult from the film?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Was the first film's cult even called "The Order?" Otherwise, the only meaning I can think of is the one from the games.

Which makes that an impressively vague statement.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The film's cult didn't have a name, as far as I know.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Now that the first movie is canon, including the Order almost seems like a waste of time; after all, the town itself and its foggy/nightmare duality were confirmed to be the result of Christabella's cult burning Alessa as a witch. I'm skeptical that SH:R will be able to sell the Order as a significant piece of the mythos, since most of the important things they're associated with in the game universe are "off limits," thanks to the first movie. It would just be pure coincidence that they wanted to use Alessa to birth a god, rather than a continuation of their thwarted plans which awakened the town's power in the first place.

Maybe Bassett could take advantage of the awkward 21-year time period (between Alessa's burning as a child and her placing her good-side-twin in the orphanage) to explain the Order's history.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Now that the first movie is canon<
What?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I assume he means that the second movie exists in the same continuity as the first?
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

The Adversary wrote:Couldn't "SH1" mean the first game? and "The Order" mean the cult from the film?
The cult from the first film was never addressed as The Order. At least, not that I recall.
Kenji wrote:Was the first film's cult even called "The Order?" Otherwise, the only meaning I can think of is the one from the games.

Which makes that an impressively vague statement.
You're correct, The Order is solely the one from the games.
KingCrimson wrote:Now that the first movie is canon, including the Order almost seems like a waste of time; after all, the town itself and its foggy/nightmare duality were confirmed to be the result of Christabella's cult burning Alessa as a witch. I'm skeptical that SH:R will be able to sell the Order as a significant piece of the mythos, since most of the important things they're associated with in the game universe are "off limits," thanks to the first movie. It would just be pure coincidence that they wanted to use Alessa to birth a god, rather than a continuation of their thwarted plans which awakened the town's power in the first place.

Maybe Bassett could take advantage of the awkward 21-year time period (between Alessa's burning as a child and her placing her good-side-twin in the orphanage) to explain the Order's history.
You bring up a good argument. My only theory is that both the Cult and the Order about to be introduced in this film were originally one single religious group, and possibly got separated by disagreement on the vile act that was planned to be performed on Alessa. One group of members (later to become Christabella's) wanted to burn her to cleanse evil as we already know, while the other group (now becoming the Order) didn't think that would clean the world from evil, and that the only way to accomplish that would be having her birth God. I don't remember if Christabella prayed to a God, but if she did, it would make even more sense. Obviously Christabella would've had more of a power amongst the whole religious group, so the group of members who disagreed had to flee the town, or something along those lines.

My two cents.

Now, where's JKristine when you need her? :|
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Christophe Gans wrote:There isn't just one Cult in Silent Hill. Why? Because what we wanted to do with the movie, and we probably were a bit ambitious, was to open the Silent Hill mythology, to open as many leads as possible.
Apparently the blog containing this quote was pulled down, but it definitely used to be there. I wonder what other tidbits were lost along with that link. :?
Christophe Gans wrote:The backstory of Silent Hill was not only the story of Alessa but a much older story about the first burning of the Arch Witch, Jennifer Carol. That burning has defined Silent Hill as the ground for the primeval battle between the 'perception of good and the perception of evil.'
Source: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/sile ... /index.php

So the cults are two different ones, and they've been warring for ages. That also means the woman in the hotel painting is Jennifer Carroll.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

JKristine35 wrote:
Christophe Gans wrote:The backstory of Silent Hill was not only the story of Alessa but a much older story about the first burning of the Arch Witch, Jennifer Carol. That burning has defined Silent Hill as the ground for the primeval battle between the 'perception of good and the perception of evil.'
Source: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/sile ... /index.php

So the cults are two different ones, and they've been warring for ages. That also means the woman in the hotel painting is Jennifer Carroll.
Well, shit...

If that was an ass-pull, it was a brilliant ass-pull that deserves a round of applause. That singlehandedly made the movies more interesting. :)
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Both of the paintings have hidden facts to them. The church painting is meant to be an ancestor of the Gillespie family, suggesting Alessa's powers may be hereditary. I kind of hope Bassett brings that up. He could even paint a family history of the Gillespies being part of the Order using that information.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I just hope there isn't TOO much ret-conning. I mean they've already renamed Chris DaSilva to Harry Mason (probably changed his name to avoid the cult, 'witness protection program' style, and might as well reference a name from the game I guess), and have decided to use The Order itself rather than the first movie's reinterpretation of it into a more realistic (and, in my opinion, much scarier) cult.

It'd be cool if it was done kind of like the sub-cult in Homecoming, like The Order is an 'offshoot' of the witch-burners who took the beliefs in a different direction. Almost like what satanists (the devil worship kind, not proper satanists) are to the abrahamic religions, maybe.

A ret-con (sort of) I wouldn't mind would be explaining Alessa's powers beyond just 'she was so angry a demon came to her', to 'explain' rather than ret-con I guess, to give more of a 'the townspeople all called her a witch, because she could manipulate the world in ways nobody had seen before', that kind of thing.

I don't really want this series to do a Resident Evil and search for excuses to put stuff in that they excluded before.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Alessa was never approached by any demon, that's just the symbolism you're seeing. I asked Bassett on his blog specifically if he was going to keep the canon interpretation of Alessa, Dark Alessa, and Sharon (that they're all one person split into 3 bodies), and he said "Gans was right", which sounds like he will keep it the way it was supposed to be. I also asked if he would explain Alessa's story for all the people who didn't understand it from the first film, and he said he would. It wouldn't be retconning to show Alessa had her own powers and didn't make a deal with a demon because that's already part of the canon story.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

But any scene to show that she had powers was deleted, and if you watch the film not knowing any of this it does just appear more like 'angry girl, demon shows up'. It'd be nice for this one to explain it.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.