[Evidence] Vincent was not joking on the monster thing...

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: [Evidence] Vincent was not joking on the monster thing..

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

LOL. Well, thank you. I'm not a genius by any means. I've just gathered that theory from the fact that that's just how Silent Hill is.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I thought it was confirmed by the Translated Book of Lost Memories that the Scrapers (and Missionary) were human members of the cult transfigured by Claudia's magic (and perhaps Heather's perceptions? I believe that was what happened with Leonard, as well as how Claudia viewed him from her abuse in the past) but it was only those three monsters that were once human and all of the others were conjured by the town via emotions?

In that case, I think Vincent was only specifically referring to the Scrapers since those are enemies found only in the church and this is the only time he has mentioned something like that.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Aerith Gainsborough

^My thoughts exactly.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Here's the thing..if you watch the making of video of SH3, you'll find out that what Vincent says to heather in the library was just to unsettle the player and not necessarily mean that the monsters ARE actual people...the main purpose of Vincent's reply was to confuse(Heather) and unsettle the player....Nothing Vincent says in the game can be taken at face value...
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

I think the mall was closed BECAUSE the gate/garage door was down but not all the way! Maybe the "people" where trying to hid or make people think that store was closed. IDK but most of the stores were "locked" lol
Aerith Gainsborough

In the making (21:20) of Silent Hill 3, Hiroyuki Owaku says, "Some philosophies explain that what you see is not necessarily reality. What you see may not be what I'm seeing. The same is true of the monsters you encounter in the game. It's the idea when Vincent looks surprised when Heather talks about the monsters. Vincent says: Monsters?" as if they were not monsters to him." He then goes on to say, "Maybe they're human beings just like you, maybe your neighbors. What you see might be true or false." This helps support the theory that the monsters could actually be people, but are seen to Heather as monsters because she has a hate for them and have become enemies to her (Cultists) and that some are merely figments of her fears (Dogs, insects, hospitals, and etc). Vincent could either see the monsters as interesting, so they're not monstrous to him at all, but in fact beautiful beings, or he may only see Cultists or people or anything else. You just never know.

That's the only thing in the entire 'Making of...' that mentions anything about Vincent and Heather's 'monster' discussion.
Eddie So Crazy
Just Passing Through

Post by Eddie So Crazy »

What Aerith Gainsborough said is probably the simplest way to explain the theory in my opinion. There is many ways to explain what Vincent means but its Silent Hill after all so it could mean many things. Its never simple lol....
Just put the gun to their head then...Pow!
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:In the making (21:20) of Silent Hill 3, Hiroyuki Owaku says, "Some philosophies explain that what you see is not necessarily reality. What you see may not be what I'm seeing. The same is true of the monsters you encounter in the game. It's the idea when Vincent looks surprised when Heather talks about the monsters. Vincent says: Monsters?" as if they were not monsters to him." He then goes on to say, "Maybe they're human beings just like you, maybe your neighbors. What you see might be true or false." This helps support the theory that the monsters could actually be people, but are seen to Heather as monsters because she has a hate for them and have become enemies to her (Cultists) and that some are merely figments of her fears (Dogs, insects, hospitals, and etc). Vincent could either see the monsters as interesting, so they're not monstrous to him at all, but in fact beautiful beings, or he may only see Cultists or people or anything else. You just never know.

That's the only thing in the entire 'Making of...' that mentions anything about Vincent and Heather's 'monster' discussion.
I think they're just saying that the answer could be whatever the player wants. Personally, I like to think that the monsters he was referring to were the scraper and missionaries, and though they are monsters to everyone (everyone's seeing the same otherworld, just like SH1 and SH4) he can still see some humanity in them because they were originally his fellow cult members. He would have known most, if not all of them, and thus could still identify them despite their new monstrous forms. But that's just my opinion. ;)
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

Idk if somebody mentioned it before but douglas noticed the otherword but did he notice the monsters or did they look like people to him too?
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
nmbdy165
Just Passing Through

Post by nmbdy165 »

Douglas did notice one of the monsters, I think it was the Split Worm.
Tis Doubt Which Leadeth Thee to Purgatory
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Douglas Cartland wrote: ...and that monster... what the hell was that?
He really could have been talking about any of the monsters in the Mall. There were those split-headed dogs, or or one of those closers, a numb body, Split Worm, or maybe even something only he saw. Either way, he saw something creepy and disturbing. The fact that someone else saw something monstrous makes me think she wasn't killing real people most of the time. Plus, Vincent does have this track record of being a giant dick...
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

If she WAS killing real people , she'd be in jail after the end of the game. Cultists or not , they're still people and their deaths would not go unnoticed by the authorities.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^That's not necessarily the case. For one thing, she might become trapped in the Otherworld, unable to get out but still able to kill people, kinda like Walter from Silent Hill 4. Or, on the other hand, if she isn't trapped in the Otherworld, there's a good chance that she might never get caught. She already spent 17 years successfully evading the Order and the police, so she could just as easily keep on doing it with the help of the God still within her.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^That's not necessarily the case. For one thing, she might become trapped in the Otherworld, unable to get out but still able to kill people, kinda like Walter from Silent Hill 4. Or, on the other hand, if she isn't trapped in the Otherworld, there's a good chance that she might never get caught. She already spent 17 years successfully evading the Order and the police, so she could just as easily keep on doing it with the help of the God still within her.
Things to note:

1. Harry and heather are in hiding from the cult, not the police.
2. Harry killed an order member in self defence, so i guess the police may have had a hand in protecting them with a new identity,witness protection and all.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^We know for sure that Harry killed an order member. We don't know whether it was in self-defense or to keep their secret. If it was the former, the police might have helped; if it was the latter, as I suspect, the police wouldn't be as welcome, since it would have just been murder. Assuming it's so, they would have been hiding from the Cult in addition to the police.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

The most practical explanation is that the cultists were in the Otherworld, too. Thanks to Claudia and everything. And Heather is trapped in the Otherworld. There is no contact with the real world. It's happening in another dimension and the police doesn't have a clue.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^We know for sure that Harry killed an order member. We don't know whether it was in self-defense or to keep their secret.
Lived in Portland 'til 12 years ago. Got wrapped up in a murder case; Harry shot suspect. Justifiable self-defense, so no punishment. Moved away immediately after, started to use alias. Apparently no connection with the criminal. Just some occult freak, slightly off from way back. Originally from Silent Hill?
That's from Doug's Journal.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^Aw, shoot.

Objection withdrawn. Carry on.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Any humans-as-monsters Heather killed wouldn't leave real world corpses. Especially since a good number of them would be in places with no real world equivalent.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
silentmumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by silentmumbler »

Order members aren't the only humans known to be seen as monsters. In SH1, the puppet nurses and doctors were simply humans being controlled by the same thing used against Cybil. Also, Lisa mentions that the people in town were still there, and that she was just like them. This means any humanoid creature could feasibly be a normal human transformed by the Otherworld.