What do you want from BoM?

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: What do you want from BoM?

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

What I'd want from BoM is simply a new Silent Hill title that will deliver the element of being scared (though it seems very difficult if you play with four people), have a nice storyline, interesting puzzles, smooth combat, and is overall just fun and enjoyable. From what I've seen, it looks a little rough. The interface just doesn't really catch my eye, but I guess portable games aren't expected to be mind boggling. I can stand the aerial camera angle (like Diablo II), but it's definitely not my favorite. The game really reminds me of Dead Nation for some reason. I felt sure that I would pick up this title, but considering I don't feel the need to pick of a Vita right now due to no games (like BoM) catching my eye, I guess I'm going to pass on this game. I'll definitely give it a try when I finally decide to give a Vita, and when the price of the game goes down considerably, though.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:What I'd want from BoM is simply a new Silent Hill title that will deliver the element of being scared (though it seems very difficult if you play with four people), .
What you said there made me imagine a game where the goal would be for the players to try to scare each other. Just a neat thought.

@ The SH Chamption,
It doesn't matter what system an SH game comes out for as long as it's a good game. If the game turns out really good, just wait 5 or 10 years until the Vita is super cheap. Also, although I wasn't trying to rag on SH4 just point out the differences, it may have come off that way because i don't like SH4 much myself and it isn't one of the great ones to me. Enough people have grown attached to it by this point for it to be technically a good game, but I don't like it much myself.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Oh, It'd be great if the monsters in BoM sound close to their original versions. The way the Insane Cancer stomps about, the screech of the Air Screamer along with the flutter of its wings, etc. That would be awesome.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I think some of the best games of the last 10 years have been coming out for portable systems. Stuff like Phoenix Wright, 999, Dangan Ronpa, The World Ends With You, Professor Layton... all great games. The Vita actually looks great, too, it's like a miniature PS3. I'm probably gonna end up getting one, so I'll probably at least give BoM a try.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:
Yuki wrote:
Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ Yes, but they weren't mandatory and I always found the 3D controls much more preferable. I actually thought standard 3D controls with the option of 2D was the best way to go.
Out of curiosity, why do you find them preferable? Compared to pushing the control stick in the direction you want to go, you have to turn and hope you don't overshoot where you want to go, and it's quite unwieldy, in my opinion.
I've been playing the first SH and RE since I was fiarly young so I'm very used to it for survival horror games. They also somehow feel more realistic to me and more like I'm controlling a human. When I switch to the 2D controls I feel more like I'm playing something like Ratchet and Clank or Banjo Kazooie. Also, you can shoot while walking backwards, and I'm not sure that you can strafe in 2D control mode (an ability that feels very useful in SH3). Also, I always use the d-pad instead of the analog stick.
I want to say you can strafe in 2D, but it's been a while. I'm going to just say that I disagree on liking them, though; I feel they're clunky and unrealistic (because humans don't turn to look somewhere THEN move; they can turn and move at the same time). To each their own, I suppose.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

For games like the original SH's or RE's, I definitely prefer 3-d controls.
1. For the reason that Tillerman gave.
2. Imo It feels better. I am great at 3-D controls. But I can use 2-D just as well (0rigins, 4).

I hope BoM has some of my favorite bosses. The split-head lizard from SH1 or the moth, perhaps The Missionary too. Or Asphyxia!
SH has great monsters. :)
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Yuki wrote:I want to say you can strafe in 2D, but it's been a while. I'm going to just say that I disagree on liking them, though; I feel they're clunky and unrealistic (because humans don't turn to look somewhere THEN move; they can turn and move at the same time). To each their own, I suppose.
In order to strafe with a 2D control scheme, you need some kind of lock-on. Even then, you are circle strafing, which is slightly different (sometimes more useful.) Though, the freedom of movement you get from a 2D scheme is usually better than the ability to strafe, unless you're using mouselook controls. Anyway, freedom of movement is the strength of the 2D scheme. The strength of 3D is the ability to easily handle multiple camera angles, but a lot of modern games make that moot by simply placing the camera behind your head at all times.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

@ Doctor Eggnog
sorry about that, but it did sound like you were harassing it just a little bit. also, 5 or 10 years is a long time to wait.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
Arsenic13
Just Passing Through

Post by Arsenic13 »

I would love for it to be a fun game that carries over iconic aspects that the series is known for. Most importantly, the story.

The gameplay change doesn't bother be because it's a spin-off; simple.

Now, the gameplay needs to be fun. If the story is good as well, then I will be very pleased. BOM and Gravity Rush are my main Vita titles right now.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

It's a multiplayer, handheld game, so there are certain aspects that I shouldn't expect from Book of Memories.

I guess I want to see how Konami plays out the "change your history" feature. I hope it's more than aesthetical or personality changes. We've had that in Shattered Memories. I could imagine something like the main character's girlfriend suddenly becoming *not* his girlfriend, for example. Hopefully, it's interesting.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I kinda want to try this game, not just because it's Silent Hill, but just because I am a fan of WayForward's games in general. They did a great job with Contra 4, and I have heard good things about their Alien game.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

I want an unlockable mode that takes the piss out of Mario Party.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

I want it to be scrapped and have Konami focus on other series.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Agree with BS, I don't even get excited for new SHs anymore.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I want BoM to be ported to PSN so that I can actually get to play it.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

What I want from Book of Memories ..... I want it to be pretty much a completely different game. It is not appealing to me at all. Apologies.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

Number 7 wrote:I want BoM to be ported to PSN so that I can actually get to play it.
This. PSN has free multiplayer too so everyone would get to play it properly. Get on it now Konami.
My supply fell through...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Martee wrote:
Number 7 wrote:I want BoM to be ported to PSN so that I can actually get to play it.
This. PSN has free multiplayer too so everyone would get to play it properly. Get on it now Konami.
Plus, aren't there some games that work on both systems (like Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock, for instance)? I wonder how hard it'd be to implement.
dawnclover
Just Passing Through

Post by dawnclover »

I want this game for several reasons. None of which is "this will satisfy my SH needs". I've been craving a diablo-style RPG for a while now, this seems pretty good, and it has a SH skin. That's the cherry on top. It's a spin-off, many franchises have them. I want a new game to play on the Vita. And finally, that soundtrack sounds amazing, and I want that version of "Love Psalm" now!

Anyway, wasn't this supposed to be out today in Europe? I've been to a couple a stores and they haven't even heard of it, what the hell konami?

Also, yesterday it said 27/03/2012 (US) below Book of Memories on the official site, and today it says Spring 2012. Great job delaying a game on the release date.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

At first, like many fans, I thought this game would be kinda of a letdown. But how can I judge something by not even playing it, some might say? By looking at some trailers I can pretty much make up my mind.

But then, upon more research, I believe this game will turn out to be quite interesting. The ability to create your character is, by far, one of the main reasons to get the game. That is, if the customization is really deep.

Plus, I believe it's quite obvious that the horror factor will be dropped. From what I can tell it seems this game has an arcade feel to it. I just hope it's not 100% fight with monsters and multiplayer.

RPG elements would prove to be a nice add. Like levelling up your character and shit. But not boring grinding, only if you want to (like a survival or arena mode and the exp points would be saved). Getting new items like weapons and outfits by completing missions and the like would be nice too... And a lot of slots to create many characters. I don't want to erase my first one to create another.

It's just a shame that this is going to be developed for a handheld. It needs a console release. Goddammit Tomm. :x