Questions need answers.

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Questions need answers.

Post by silenthillking »

First is downpour going to be on PC wiki only says xbox 360/ps3.

Second which console do you think this game will perform on better.

Third what,s your opinion on the graphics for me.

There outstanding to me. Most games take on a real life look but this entry in the series shows what console are able to do considering both xbox and ps3 are almost six years old. I fear a lot of texture loading and pop in considering this is the unreal engine.
SilverWolfPet
Just Passing Through

Re: Questions need answers.

Post by SilverWolfPet »

Oh hai, welcome! ^^

First, just PS3 and Xbox 360.
Second, PS3, because I has one, yay ^^
Third, I don't know what's my opinion for you, but for me, I like the graphics a lot! Overall, I guess the atmosphere counts, not the graphics. :D
atomheart
Just Passing Through

Post by atomheart »

From a recent review I think the 360 was touted as looking better than PS3.....
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

silenthillking wrote:First is downpour going to be on PC wiki only says xbox 360/ps3.
No announcements of a PC port, and I wouldn't expect to see one.
silenthillking wrote:Second which console do you think this game will perform on better.
It was likely developed for 360 and ported to ps3, so I'm going to assume 360. You never know, though.
silenthillking wrote:Third what,s your opinion on the graphics for me.
There outstanding to me. Most games take on a real life look but this entry in the series shows what console are able to do considering both xbox and ps3 are almost six years old. I fear a lot of texture loading and pop in considering this is the unreal engine.[/quote]
They're passable, but nothing to write home about. There have been some spotty things in the media released, and I'm hoping it's just Konami dropping the ball on it, like they have in the past.
From the look of things, I'm not worried about hardware struggling to handle what it's being fed, because it looks like the devs aren't pushing anything that demanding. Yeah, there's bound to be pop-in and screen tearing, but hopefully they've managed to keep it to a minimum.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Considering things that Whitney has said in her podcast, I'd suggest 360. She said it looks much smoother on 360, since she got to play some of Downpour.

Graphics are pretty good. I still stand by that the characters look a bit 'waxy' for me, but nothing horrible. I will say, however, that the environmental graphics looks wonderful.

Mostly, just watch some videos of it on YouTube. I'd suggest going to Whitney's channel, which has lots of Downpour and HD collection stuff on it!
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Post by LeriSuccubus »

I think the graphics are going to look the same, but make sure you have an hdmi cord, or it will probably look blurry and unrefined. I figured that out when I got an HD tv. Looks so much more realistic with it.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I'm sure the 360 version of Downpour will be better than the PS3 version. I have a PS3, and while it's a tad bit aggravating to repeatedly get a lesser version, I know that the differences are minor.
I wish more games were simultaneously developed for both platforms.

I love the visuals that I've seen for Downpour. It doesn't need to be "photo-realistic." It has great art direction. I can't wait to play and see how things dynamically change with the weather-system & the day/night cycle.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

thy_butcher wrote:I wish more games were simultaneously developed for both platforms.
As long as you're fine waiting twice as long for games to release. : P
They'd have to mess with debugging two separate builds simultaneously, and having half of their man power working on anything substantial at all times.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Would the same issue occur if a game were developed on PS3 & then ported to the 360?
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

It'd be the difference between splitting your team up to cover it. Problems can occur for no reason or it can work just fine. Things are finnicky like that.
Problem is, that it seems common to fix one problem in your coding and something else breaks because of it. If you're doing that with two platforms simultaneously you can end up on wild goose chases in opposite directions that have to be addressed by two sets of people. It's far more practical to develop on a single platform, get it as finalized as possible, port it to another console, and then work out the kinks it has.

Of course, you can develop on PS3 and port to 360, however, 360 seems to be favored by devs. Not to mention, since this is an Unreal engine game, I would think it is fair to assume it will be more compatible with the 360 than PS3 by default.
It really comes down to developer/publisher preference on that stuff. I think I can only remember hearing of a handful of titles developed on PS3 first and then ported to 360 this gen. It's unfortunate that such is the case, since PS3 owners suffer the consequences when things go wrong (see Bayonetta for instance).
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Yup...Typo pretty much nailed it. As far as the question goes, i kinda answered these in another thread, but here it goes. The xbox version will most likely run slightly better performance wise.

Graphically i think the game looks good. Recent vids in how Murphy is exploring the environments make this version of SH look fully realized. The town looks cold and depressing with alot of debris thrown about in the alleyways and streets...it looks really detailed.

There was a small cutscene in the most recent vid between Murphy and The mailman Blackwood,..the interaction and dialogue between them was weird and kinda awkward, but in a good way...i'm not sure if it was the voice acting, but something just didn't seem right and i thought the game was better for it.

I'm still skeptical on the combat and Murphy's punching animation looks weird, but it does look like it's been improved from earlier vids...i'm still lookin' forward to this.

I thought homecoming wasn't really a bad game, i had issues with the combat, but i hatedSM even more...the only shining moment in that game was it's story and the exploration...the otherworld segments were horrible. So i'm in a SH drought and i'm hoping this game will bring the series back to it's respectable status.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I could've sworn that I saw a video that showed Murphy in combat with a Screamer; and an on-screen tutorial prompt showed the player which button "locks-on." Upon pressing the button, the camera shifted to a Homecoming-like angle which seemed to allow Murphy to strafe around the Screamer while staying faced towards it; as well as connect hits better.
I'll try to find it...
EDIT: Ok, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZlE60sGRvU
I was wrong on a few points. There was no on-screen text to tell you how to lock on. And Murphy doesn't attack while locked-on in this video, so you might not be able to.
It looks to me that the player locks-on and strafes around. It's just weird that I've never seen it in any other video; even the official developer ones.
Maybe they removed this ability?
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Does anyone know if there has been any mention of installing it on the PS3?

That still frustrates me that Sony hasn't taken Microsoft's lead and let you optionally install any game to the harddrive. That was one of the key things that brought me around to really being able to finally enjoy the 360, because it was almost unbearable before that with the disc drive constantly spinning/making noise and the fans being loud as possible trying to cool the hardware off. That obviously isn't the case for every game, but I hate that Sony still has it just mandatory install or no install possible at all.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

The 360 seems to be the favorite platform for the devs to work with but the PS3 still has better exclusives. :(