Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Post by Tabris »

- I didn't like the amount of filler areas when they could have been used a lot more for character development.
- I didn't like how Elle got her ass owned in the sewer only to appear without question later. It seemed like they tried to play off the surreality of Silent Hill. Except that it made no sense.
- Alex being able to be a total friggin badass in combat. Except for the part where he was never in the military.
- Cliche Silent Hill plot twist.
- Really, really stupid end level. I don't understand how they thought the Hostel-esque end level was a good idea. I'm actually alright with a torture chamber at the bottom of a church. I'm alright with the idea of punishing the 'flesh' for its sins. But it was done with utter failure. Imagine the torture chamber in the nightmare world and how utterly messed up it could have been. The amount of pain, fear, torture that could have been portrayed through the otherworld filter.
- Pyramid Head should not have been in the game. But since they insisted on it, he should have had a few more scenes in the game to make him worthwhile and not blatant fanservice.
- It took too much from the movie. Silent Hill is too unique for it to be redundant at all.
- Uneven difficulty level. It was pretty smooth and fun at the beginning. The middle of the game is "HOLY JESUS WTF IT WON'T STOP" then it gets really easy again. The police station was pretty brutal and the sewer right after was pretty rough. Then for the Hell Descent being so damn terrifying, I think there's only two monsters in it? Amazing level though. One of the best in the series.
- If you really want to, you can cheap out almost any monsters in the game by dodging and countering over and over again. Especially with the knife. Once you figure that out the entire game has no actual difficulty. Of course, you can just not do that and play the game properly hah.

I can overlook this all though. I still have a lot of love for the game. It just feels like so many of the downfalls of the game were too obvious to let through.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Surprisingly I didn't find the police station that difficult on my first playthrough and was able to get through that section without being killed or sustaining heavy damage. Once you realize how to handle the Schisms the level is pretty easy. You see the Schisms have this particular lunge attack where they lurch forward towards you with their arms flailing. I always waited until they did that attack and then countered with a few swings. Then repeated the process. I learned pretty quick back at the hotel dealing with the Needlers that I needed to watch how the monsters attacked and time my attacks better.

So after dealing with the Needlers in the hotel the Schisms seemed all that much more straight forward from experience. Then I just took down the Siam with the shotgun.
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

Not only do I not agree with 'SH' being combat-oriented, but I don't think over-rendering EVERY single tooth in someone's mouth to the point of them looking like puppets is a very good idea.
I have a long list of why this game is useless, but I think I'll take the easy route for myself and say that it just sucks. It sucks.
pyramid8mydog
Just Passing Through

Post by pyramid8mydog »

Too much blatant inspiration from horror movies such as Hostel, Jacobs ladder, Saw, Human Centipede.

Dumb puzzles that are way too easy and don't require much thought. Only Decent one the one with riddles at the referencing the chess board etc.

Not enough creepy/unsettling background scenery.

22 year olds that look 30 and 50 year olds that look 30
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more
theshaman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by theshaman »

I hated the fact that it was so like the film and the fact that nearly whole atmospheric japanese effect got taken away because the americans took over... plus the story line was a total rip from film to.. "the Order" ( which were dressed the same way as the film)... They should have made a more original game with its own story like the rest of the japanese based games

And the most important thing of all..... The whole concept of "The surreal horror genre" was taken away.....

Done

Mod edit: Do not double post. Use the edit button when you have something else to add. -Calamity
there are things known and unknown, in between is silent hill
Anxiety Sponge, MD
Just Passing Through

Post by Anxiety Sponge, MD »

pyramid8mydog wrote:Too much blatant inspiration from horror movies such as Hostel, Jacobs ladder, Saw, Human Centipede.
Human Centipede actually came out after this game was released, but the other movies, yeah. There's definitely a nod to them.
See you in hell, cupcake.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Not to mention that Asphyxia was based off of caterpillars, if I remember correctly. Nora had a fascination with the Hookah smoking caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland, while Josh liked the Cheshire Cat.

I do see why someone would compare that movie to Asphyxia, though.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I didn't like

Wheeler- I mean he was just alright, I loved what he said during the UFO ending though

Dogs- They looked plastic and they weren't frightening, they were just irritating

Hell Descent- A little too boring of a level

Shepherd's Glen vs Silent Hill- I know Shepherd's Glen is connected to Silent Hill both geographically and religiously, and that Shepherd's Glen would suffer but the two towns were a little too similar.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Glenn wrote:Hell Descent- A little too boring of a level
But! But! That was the best part!

The atmosphere and design was in top form, and it's easily the most refined and well-constructed piece in the package!
SHF

Post by SHF »

Tabris
- I didn't like how Elle got her ass owned in the sewer only to appear without question later. It seemed like they tried to play off the surreality of Silent Hill.
^
She was captured by either Curtis or Judge Holloway, she was never killed.

- If you really want to, you can cheap out almost any monsters in the game by dodging and countering over and over again. Especially with the knife. Once you figure that out the entire game has no actual difficulty. Of course, you can just not do that and play the game properly hah.

^
It's not easy when you are fighting several needlers at one time, especially on a harder difficulty.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Amy Ashton
Just Passing Through

Post by Amy Ashton »

I didn`t like their plastic hair lol. I know there is more that's worse but the hair on the women were bad.
To the left you can see fog. To the right you can see fog and right in front yep you guessed it more fog.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

SHF wrote:It's not easy when you are fighting several needlers at one time, especially on a harder difficulty.
That's why they gave the player the Laser Pistol...
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

I didn't like pyramid head on the game :@!
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Would you care to elaborate upon that thought at all?
Just saying you didn't like it doesn't leave much of a jumping off point for any further discussion.

Is it more a matter of them borrowing the movie's design, you feel the RPT should be a SH2 exclusive occurrence, or something else?
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Typographenia wrote:Would you care to elaborate upon that thought at all?
Just saying you didn't like it doesn't leave much of a jumping off point for any further discussion.

Is it more a matter of them borrowing the movie's design, you feel the RPT should be a SH2 exclusive occurrence, or something else?
yeah, Pyramid Head was a product of James's mind and it shouldn't show up anywhere else other than SH2.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Did you have issues at all with the dogs/nurses in that regard? I know they have been staples in the series, but did that ever bother you in the past when other titles shared similar monster designs?
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

CandyLander wrote:

yeah, Pyramid Head was a product of James's mind and it shouldn't show up anywhere else other than SH2.
There's no rule saying Silent Hill can't recycle monsters. James and Alex had similar psyches as they both witnessed the death of a loved one in which they felt resposible. PH also barely appeared in the game so -- get over it.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Glenn wrote:
CandyLander wrote:

There's no rule saying Silent Hill can't recycle monsters. James and Alex had similar psyches as they both witnessed the death of a loved one in which they felt resposible. PH also barely appeared in the game so -- get over it.
Well, yes there is. I mean, they only took the PH because it is a famous monster and everybody loved it on silent hill 2. It wasn't untill origins when someone actually recycled monsters. Just think: the monsters are made by the character's mind, right? now, how are the characters supposed to think of an exact same monster? The manequins and PH appearing outside of silent hill 2 just don't make sense. about the get over it, I already did. I consider the ending where you see Alex in the hospital, as if nothing of the story actually happened, cannon. Maybe alex had played SH 2 and the reason why PH was in the game is because he remember's it from the game
Typographenia wrote:Did you have issues at all with the dogs/nurses in that regard? I know they have been staples in the series, but did that ever bother you in the past when other titles shared similar monster designs?
Dogs and nurses are different. I mean, we all have the same idea of a dog . And also, you can see that the nurses on sh 1/2/3 are very different and so are the dogs (the dogs not so much, but they aren't identical). Now, a giant thing with a pyramid shaped head is very specific (and the scenes where we see Pyramid Head are nearly identical. They ran out of creativity and decided to reuse pyramid head) .
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

It wasn't untill origins when someone actually recycled monsters.
Wrong.
SH1 had creepers, dogs and nurses. SH2 got all of them. SH3 had part of them. The same happened with SH4.

It has been stated many times: the Otherworld recycles and "shape" some creatures.

Part of it is true however: DH used PH as fan-service but this theory (and others, like the cult that spread outside Silent Hill and that this is an image to punish them) shouldn't be discharged.
Aherd
Just Passing Through

Post by Aherd »

I remembered the first time I played(on hard mode), I thought the atmosphere was great, BUT the monsters were unusually hard. It caused a lot of tension at first, which is a good thing, but quickly turned to frustration and annoyance, given the limited amount of healing items in the beginning of the game.
I think the monsters are ridiculously overpowered, almost any attack(on hard mode) and you're down to almost no health. And to master(=memorize) the combat according to each monster, you normally have to experiment and die like about a thousand times.(I died immediately almost every first encounter of a new enemy) While it is fun once you overcome this tiresome process, the designers should've designed a better learning process.
The story was interesting and had so much potential, but the end product was slightly a let down. And again as many have noted, the characters were mostly just bland. The monsters designs were quite good based on appearance, but weak when you compare it with past SH titles where most monsters had some particular meaning to them.
Overall, it's a good game, and I enjoyed it immensely. But imo the details were not focused on the right things.