The Otherworld in Silent Hill Origins

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

The Walkin Dude wrote:Maybe Lisa's presence amounts to fan service?
Thats a different story.
crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

AuraTwilight wrote:
i only mentioned it because i figured that if the gate was apart of the otherworld, that meant laura could see at least some of it. now that i think about it, i suppose the gate could be there in the real world... it just seemed odd to me.
Random bars like that in the middle of a hallway?
yeah... i've never seen an apartment corridor with such in real life, so i assumed it had something to do with the otherworld. i hope i'm not being annoyingly offtopic, just wanted some clarification.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I've seen apartment complexes w/ bars like that. I've also seen the same sort of sheet blocking a street from passengers/cars like in Silent Hill 2.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

What if at the time of the fire, Silent Hill got sucked in to the otherworld. So everyone is supposed to look like monsters, except that they were on drugs. So that they saw the real people......
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

The otherworld was 'initially' created by Alessa's hatred, but its appearance changes in each SH game.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I agree with AuraTwilight that the otherworld in Origins was not strong enough as in SH1 to shift between reality, therefore it's accessable via mirrors.
In SH2 the otherworlds were damp & old (Like the In Water ending?), in SH3 it was fleshy (Heather's womb), in SH4 it reflected Walter's memories...And I think in Origins, the mirrors represent Travis' split personality, as he's a generous man in one hand, & one disturbed individual on the other, due to his family problems. (Well, I'm not sure about the Bad ending, I'll just say it's "possible" that Travis has killed women who represented her mother. "Possible" I say.) And the Butcher's half-sided helmet I think points to this theory.
About the 'purgatory' thing, I thing it's not necessary for the characters to have actually killed someone to enter the otherworld, in fact I think they are the ones that punish themselves due to their guilt by creating alternate realities in their sub-sonscious.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

Uhm... I know I'm seeing this to late, and I don't mean to sound like people who spread hate, but I think that the game itself might not give you a reasonable explanation on why the Otherworld behaves differently in Origins.

What I'm trying to say is, now that an American company is making the games, maybe they just weren't thinking it all through and that is what caused the inconsistency. Maybe the Japanesse developers had a different idea. I'm just playing Silent Hill Homecoming and I already notice some events that can completely anull everything that previous games tried to point out. For example, Vincent's theory of monsters not really being monsters is completely unacceptable in Homecoming, in my opinion. If you've played it, you might understand what I'm trying to say...

So maybe that's the reason that Origins has a serious problem.
You've seen that horrible world, as well...
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

For example, Vincent's theory of monsters not really being monsters is completely unacceptable in Homecoming, in my opinion.
Vincent was never really right to begin with. Even in the original four games, the only monsters who were really human where SH1's nurses and doctors (maybe some of SH3's), the Missionary and Scrapers, and Leonard. Everything else are manifestations.
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

You can't really say that Vincent was wrong... As far as I recall, I read an interview with one of the game creators (I read it a long time ago, so I can't remember who and when it was). When he was asked about the monsters and what they really were he said that Vincent gives the answer to the question or something like that... Then again, that could have been just an idea that was dropped later...

But still, it is pretty possible that the American creators have a different approach than the Japanesse.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

Vincent's wrong because only a small portion of the monsters are humans. Unless you think Heather was killing humans who were spidermonkeying across the ceiling and grabbing at her from under iron grating.

And I don't really see how the new creators are any different from the Japanese aside from a vague "omg it's dibberent."
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Vincent gives the answer to the question
He did.

"I was only kidding."
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

Okay... I guess you could be right...

But I find a lot of differences between the old and the new creators... I guess that's subjective.
never
Just Passing Through

Post by never »

alone in the town wrote:
Vincent gives the answer to the question
He did.

"I was only kidding."
"Don't worry, it's just a joke." I hate being impertinent, but the meaning isn't absolutely the same :roll: I can't explain how i understand Vincent's words (but i don't believe that the monsters arent monsters). And we don't know how Vincent sees Silent Hill.

Heather: "God? Are you sure you dont mean Devil?"
Vincent: "Which ever you like."

// It's still one of my fav scenes in the games. First time i was like "What the fuck, it cant be that i have been killing real people!!" Good joke :twisted:

Otherworld is reality. Foggy silent hill is reality. Memories are real etc. It doesn't matter (at least that much) where they really are, what do the places really look like or what the other characters see in silent hill. The games are told from the view of the protagonist and everything that isn't shown or told isn't certain. We're talking about dimensions, twisted memories, gods, devils, monsters and supernatural powers. In fantasies everything is possible.

There are many realities, dreams for example: when you sleep they're real, but when you wake up they're "only dreams" and you're again in the true reality.
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

I could see that Lisa is in reality and Travis in Otherworld.
Lisa doesn't appear again after the Suite Scene right?
Then that could mean that Kaufman now forced Lisa to take care of Alessa.
Lisa was still in reality while Travis in Otherworld since Lisa didn't do anything yet w/ Lisa until the end.
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: The Otherworld in Silent Hill Origins

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

I Note Found In The Theater That Says: That Silent Hill Was Built On A Burial Ground Could Have Something To Do With The Otherworld? And Maybe Alessa Was Guiding Travis Because In Another Not Found In The Theater Says That A Girl Sneaked In To Watch The Play( Alessa ) And She Absolutely Didn't Like The Caliban and She Kicks It After Travis Defeats It. Maybe Alessa Did Some Guiding...?
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Silent Hill wasn't built on a burial ground, it was just holy to the Native Americans.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Butcher Incarnate wrote:I Note Found In The Theater That Says: That Silent Hill Was Built On A Burial Ground Could Have Something To Do With The Otherworld? And Maybe Alessa Was Guiding Travis Because In Another Not Found In The Theater Says That A Girl Sneaked In To Watch The Play( Alessa ) And She Absolutely Didn't Like The Caliban and She Kicks It After Travis Defeats It. Maybe Alessa Did Some Guiding...?
Wait, was that note specifically showing the writers understanding of the town's history? Or was it just dialogue from an uninformed person? Or, even worse, was it attempted canon by the writers? :?

And the all caps thing with your post bothers me a little....
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

Butcher Incarnate wrote:I Note Found In The Theater That Says: That Silent Hill Was Built On A Burial Ground Could Have Something To Do With The Otherworld? And Maybe Alessa Was Guiding Travis Because In Another Not Found In The Theater Says That A Girl Sneaked In To Watch The Play( Alessa ) And She Absolutely Didn't Like The Caliban and She Kicks It After Travis Defeats It. Maybe Alessa Did Some Guiding...?
I think I found your memo.
Production Notes wrote:"Jack says the town is located on
old "spiritual ground"... hopefully we
will be blessed!!!

Prospero = Shaman Feathers,
smoke, totemic magic.

Ariel = Air spirit. Flight?
Projection? Puppets?

Caliban = Buffalo spirit. Skins +
Berkoffian performance. On all
fours. Poor actor!"
There's nothing there about a Native American burial ground, only, "Jack says the town is located on old "spiritual ground"... hopefully we will be blessed!!!"

Which basically just regurgitates what Book of Lost Memories already established. Ain't nothin' wrong wit' that.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

As authoritative as Jack may be, he probably doesn't know everything.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Butcher Incarnate
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Butcher Incarnate »

Yea maybe the town being built on spiritual ground doesn't have to do anything with the otherworld, maybe alessa guided travis to the theater to defeat the caliban since she didn't like it, as said on the note you find.
When Death Comes, It Comes For All.