Personal Reflections on BoM?

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think about Book of Memories?

It looks amazing! I can't wait to buy it!
4%
It seems pretty cool. Might pick it up if I feel like it.
29%
It's... different. Maaaaaaybe...
16%
/neutral/
13%
Meh. I don't hate it, but it's not, like, the best thing ever, either.
16%
I dislike it. I don't like where this is going, and it's gonna suck.
13%
KILL IT WITH FIRE! FIRE AND HOLY WATER!!!
9%

Total votes: 45

PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Re: Personal Reflections on BoM?

Post by PyramidFace »

I dunno V, you took a generalized comment and directed it at you personally.

Then you said this:
producing games that barely have any resemblance at all to the games that people originally became fans of
I've played quite a bit of the game--there's tons of stuff that resembles SH. Why would you assume otherwise? You don't have to be interested in a spinoff on Vita, but why jump to conclusions about "how" SH it is or isn't?
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I voted "meh," simply because I'm not all that interested in buying a Vita at the moment. Also, I don't really have anyone to co-op with, so there's that. However, I am interested in how it ties into the overall mythos (I kind of nerd out over small, even potentially meaningless connections), and Howard is a pretty sizable draw for me after Past Life.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

VIVIsect wrote:
Yuki wrote:I think it's increasingly disappointing how people become furious over a spinoff that is not pretending to be anything other than what it is, and how people go so overboard complaining, changing from "I dislike this because of [reasons]" to calling for firing someone, to claiming the entire series is retroactively ruined, and the like.
I agree. Fortunately, no one here is really flying off the handle. No one here is proclaiming Book of Memories to be an abhorrent blasphemy, shat fourth from Satan himself to murder our beloved and cherished memories of Silent Hill 2. People here have actually been fairly reserved. And yet those of us here who aren't interested in this particular title, for whatever reason, are accused of simply being close-minded and incapable of "thinking outside the box". I don't know. That comment just irks me. But, whatev.

[/derail]
You know, I'm fairly sure I'm allowed to be completely baffled at quotes like this, from the "What do you want from BoM?" thread:
I want it to be scrapped and have Konami focus on other series.
I'm not saying anyone has to like it, and if you think I was, then you need to reread what I wrote. What I'm saying is that I don't understand why people actively get angry at it. Saying you have no interest or that it doesn't look like your kind of game? Cool! Have fun with that. But saying it's a waste of time, saying it's awful, saying it ruins the integrity of the series--which I'm fairly sure I HAVE seen said here--is hyperbolic especially when you consider it is a spinoff. It does not affect the main series in any way, shape, or form, and hell, it's created by a completely separate team besides the person supervising it.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Going against the direction of the thread, I'd just like to clarify something: I never said some of these horrible derisive comments toward Konami or anything, like some people have. I just don't think the direction is a great idea for a horror genre game, especially the psychological horror games of the Silent Hill franchise. If it turns out that public opinion is wrong and I'm just a biased dumbfuck, then sure I'll buy it! No reason to avoid a good game, right?

Everybody just chill the fuck out, okay? We won't know if it's actually shite until it's released. :?
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Is it a new direction they're headed in, or is it simply a stop along the way of the road they're already on?

I see it as more of the latter.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Typographenia wrote:Is it a new direction they're headed in, or is it simply a stop along the way of the road they're already on?

Considering BoM is nothing like any game of the series, even the recent ones, that idea doesn't hold water.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

Typographenia wrote:Is it a new direction they're headed in, or is it simply a stop along the way of the road they're already on?

Neither is likely.

It's a step in a new direction, like Shattered Memories, but nothing that's actually going to affect the later games.
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:Going against the direction of the thread, I'd just like to clarify something: I never said some of these horrible derisive comments toward Konami or anything, like some people have. I just don't think the direction is a great idea for a horror genre game, especially the psychological horror games of the Silent Hill franchise. If it turns out that public opinion is wrong and I'm just a biased dumbfuck, then sure I'll buy it! No reason to avoid a good game, right?

Everybody just chill the fuck out, okay? We won't know if it's actually shite until it's released. :?
Firstly, do not tell people to "chill the fuck out". Considering you alone started this topic off on a rather negative note, you just set the ball in motion. You also have a bad habit of blowing people's reactions out of proportion (and do me a favor and don't say that you're used to 4Chan, 'kay?). If a moderator hasn't stepped in to ask people to cool down, don't take it upon yourself to try and do so in a manner that we do not condone here.

Carry on folks.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

^Yes, yes, I know I started the thread off on a negative light, because that's how I legitimately feel about the game! However, I never intended for it to become a "Konami sux" thread, which doesn't seem right. They're usually good at making games, and just cause they made a misstep or two doesn't mean we should, like, burn Konami HQ to the ground and till the earth with salt so it is ruined forever. That's absurd. :)

So, I'm not allowed to be the unlikely voice of reason? Without a moderating influence, it'll suddenly become the Angela discussion all over again, and no-one wants that.
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

If you want to be the "voice of reason" as you put it, choose your words better. Considering this topic was not getting out of control at all there's no reason for you to even imply that it would become like said Angela topic. We don't take kindly to users being addressed the way you did. If you think something is getting out of control just use the report function and we'll take a look at it. Simple as that.
DarkLord
Just Passing Through

Post by DarkLord »

Ps vitas worth the cash, and this game looks like it could possibly be fun, diablo style sort of.
Adam_WF
Just Passing Through

Post by Adam_WF »

Personal reflection: making the game was incredibly challenging, fascinating, and I love the end result. Hope you guys dig it, too.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

What was it like being tasked to work on a game in a series you are a fan of? Did you find it difficult at times to break the mold on how this game would play or be presented from your previous experiences?
How was developing for the Vita different than previous consoles, if at all?

I know the announcement of the game was met with a lot of resistance, but did it change the direction or approach of the game/team during development?

I feel like I'm asking too many questions lately, haha.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I still want to know if the monsters in BoM retain their original sound effects and vocalizations from whatever SH game they came from...