Story Questions

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

mikesjr22
Just Passing Through

Story Questions

Post by mikesjr22 »

I have some questions about the Silent Hill universe that only tru fans can answer in my opinion.

1. Why do we see other people in Silent Hill's fog world, like Howard or Ricks in Downpour ?
2. Why does people like Jorge or Anne, in Downpour, are entering the dark side of Silent Hill, just like Murphy.
3. Why do we see life signs in the Fog World, like notes from people, just like they were living there, especially in the side quests of Downpour ?

Thx :D
mikesjr22
Just Passing Through

Re: Story Questions

Post by mikesjr22 »

Nobody ? Really ?

Don't do that. Double-posting and/or thread bumping is against the rules. Be patient. There aren't that many people who actually know the answers to whatever questions you're asking.
-The Mgmt.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

mikesjr22 wrote:I have some questions about the Silent Hill universe that only tru fans can answer in my opinion.

1. Why do we see other people in Silent Hill's fog world, like Howard or Ricks in Downpour ?
2. Why does people like Jorge or Anne, in Downpour, are entering the dark side of Silent Hill, just like Murphy.
3. Why do we see life signs in the Fog World, like notes from people, just like they were living there, especially in the side quests of Downpour ?

Thx :D
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
1. Other people's worlds (or whatever you want to call them, projections) can be experienced by someone seemingly at random. Well, not really random, but you know what I mean. For instance, in SH2, James can see into Angela's world every once in a while. Also, in some instances it seems that people in the real world, if they have some sort of connection to the person who is projecting into the foggy realm, can be seen in the foggy realm (like Lisa, and probably everyone else in Origins that isn't Travis.)

2. Jorge, who was he? I can't remember? The Spanish dude? Well, if it is him, he's probably been brought there because of some event in his life that we don't really know about. Or everyone in the prison vehicle was brought in with Murphy (much like Cybil being brought in because of her being close to Harry and Cheryl in SH1.) He was just sort of a filler character. As for Anna, in my personal opinion, she was brought into Murphy's world because his projection of that one-guy-I-can't-remember most likely brought her there. Because their stories are tightly tied together. She obviously had some issues too, what with her wanting vengeance.

3. Because Silent Hill is a very inhabited town, that's why. People still live there and go about their lives. Only those with "darkness in their hearts" are able to cross over to the foggy dimension. Or those unlucky enough to get caught up in events outside of their control.

I hope that answered your questions!
I once was lost, but am now profound.
mikesjr22
Just Passing Through

Post by mikesjr22 »

Thank you man :D
But There is some parts that are still a bit weird :|

1. Is it possible that, some people that has lived in Silent Hill, are being stucked in SIlent Hill for some reasons ? Like having done terrible things (JP Sater) or having some sort of links with the town (Howard)
2.I think you clearly explained it
3. What I mean is like all those side quests. Where does these come from ? Are they stories from the town's past ?
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

mikesjr22 wrote:Thank you man :D
But There is some parts that are still a bit weird :|

1. Is it possible that, some people that has lived in Silent Hill, are being stucked in SIlent Hill for some reasons ? Like having done terrible things (JP Sater) or having some sort of links with the town (Howard)
2.I think you clearly explained it
3. What I mean is like all those side quests. Where does these come from ? Are they stories from the town's past ?
1. Well, Howard is a bit of an anomaly, especially if you look at the graphic novel Past Life. I think one of the theories is that he's some sort of guide who has an inherent knowledge of Silent Hill and its unique properties. I thought the name of the novel actually referred to him and the fact that his mail-man persona in this game seems to be a reincarnation. And yeah, JP is stuck in Silent Hill because of his guilt over causing the death of the children.

3. I personally like to think of them as echoes, or even spirits that are trapped in the foggy dimension of the town due to how strong the emotions are when they died. Think of the movie The Grudge--same thing. Also, the Born From a Wish sub-scenario of Silent Hill 2 has similar properties--a spirit that can't move on because of his attachment to the physical world. Same thing, really.

Does that explain things more clearly? Sorry for misunderstanding your third question the first time!
I once was lost, but am now profound.
mikesjr22
Just Passing Through

Post by mikesjr22 »

Thanks man you've been a great help :D

Yeah I also think that people can be stuck in Silent Hill because of things they've done in the past, or because of feelings they hold in their heart. Like if Anne was not holding so much rage inside her, I don't think she would have been able to follow Murphy into the "Dark Side" of Silent Hill. But what does Ricks (The Radio Guy) did bad to be stuck in Silent Hill ?
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Uh...I'd recommend you search the stickied topics in each game section on this forum. This stuff has been THEORIZED and THEORIZED for years and yearssssss, and there one answer, direct one-answer explanation to your questions :|
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

You are assuming Anne got dragged in by Murphy.

It could be the other way around.
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

PyramidFace wrote:You are assuming Anne got dragged in by Murphy.

That seems like a rather pointless distinction though, as Murphy was in prison, therefore he did 'bad things', which possibly include killing the sequestered prisoner and severely injuring a prison guard, not to mention losing his wife and child.
Whereas Anne, from what I can tell, only had to look after her injured father. So either way, they both end up in Silent Hill and it doesn't really seem to matter who caused it. Unless I'm missing something.
My supply fell through...
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Martee wrote:
PyramidFace wrote:You are assuming Anne got dragged in by Murphy.

That seems like a rather pointless distinction though, as Murphy was in prison, therefore he did 'bad things', which possibly include killing the sequestered prisoner and severely injuring a prison guard, not to mention losing his wife and child.
Whereas Anne, from what I can tell, only had to look after her injured father. So either way, they both end up in Silent Hill and it doesn't really seem to matter who caused it. Unless I'm missing something.
I think guilt would be the missing factor. I'm sure Murphy felt like shit about hurting and possibly killing that prisoner, potentially injuring that prison guard (this may change depending on choices you make in game? in mine he didn't lay a hand on Frank) and losing his wife and child. Meanwhile, Anne was quite clearly consumed by revenge and hate and even at the very end the Otherworld doesn't seem to let either of them go until Anne forgives Murphy. Not only that, but Murphy might have actually escaped the Otherworld via boat if Anne hadn't stopped him and thanks to her he gets pulled in even deeper.

I'm not going so far as to say the entire Otherworld in Downpour is Anne's when most of what we see is quite relevant to Murphy and possibly a few others but maybe it's not so far fetched an idea that he wouldn't have been pulled into the Otherworld to begin with had it not been for Anne's intense emotions on the matter and stayed mostly through her hate and anger pulling out his own negative emotions.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
mikesjr22
Just Passing Through

Post by mikesjr22 »

No in Downpour, it's clearly Murphy's world. Like the bird cage revealing some parts of his subconscious. But the thing that I don't get, is that some people are stuck in SIlent Hill because they've done something bad, like JP, but Ricks, he's done nothing wrong I think ?
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

We don't know enough about Ricks to know whether he's done anything bad or not, is the situation I think. Unless maybe there's sidequests that give more information.
mikesjr22
Just Passing Through

Post by mikesjr22 »

I think that Ricks might be stucked in Silent Hill for a while but for unknown reasons. But I would guess that sometimes, he did something bad enough to be sent to Silent Hill's other world. But is there people in the previous Silent Hills games that have been stucked into Silent Hill even if they haven't done anything wrong ?
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Quite a few people, actually.

Harry Mason and Henry Townshend, for instance, literally had nothing on their slates that would have warranted an Otherworld but were dragged in through no fault of their own aside from various "coincidences". It's entirely possible Ricks did nothing to "deserve" it and was just a casualty of convenience.
mikesjr22
Just Passing Through

Post by mikesjr22 »

Well that sucks xD
Yeah maybe some people are being stuck in Silent Hill for no reason. But I'm sure there is a better explanation for Ricks and for other people that enters Silent Hill for no reason.

Is it possible that Ricks entered Silent Hill by following someone ? Like in Silent Hill 1, Harry has been able to enter because he followed Cheryl. So does Ricks could have done the same thing, he followed someone ?

Mod edit: Do not double post. You've been spoken to about this before. Use the edit button when you have something else to add. -Calamity
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

Well since everybody see's silent hill differently - maybe it's not That Bad for ricks.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I dunno, Ricks seems pretty freaked out about the state of things but is surviving well enough because he's playing along with the "rules". It's a bit of an odd state. I think it might be a case of Otherworld bleed over, like Ricks wasn't specifically in Murphy's Otherworld (he had to have been in the Otherworld prior to Murphy entering 'cause he seems to have a decent idea of what's going on) but we never really get to know enough about him or his situation to figure it out. Unless there's a bunch of hidden hints, that is.
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

xoxsnoof wrote:I dunno, Ricks seems pretty freaked out about the state of things but is surviving well enough because he's playing along with the "rules". It's a bit of an odd state. I think it might be a case of Otherworld bleed over, like Ricks wasn't specifically in Murphy's Otherworld (he had to have been in the Otherworld prior to Murphy entering 'cause he seems to have a decent idea of what's going on) but we never really get to know enough about him or his situation to figure it out. Unless there's a bunch of hidden hints, that is.
Well the phone call he gets before poop hits the fan was pretty strange. Ricks seems to keep getting calls from actual people or at least one person which keeps making requests. We hear this every time we turn on a radio. I would say he isn't 'real' because of the whole boat keys that end up in the church and that he is leading Murphy, but then Anne being able to see him throws it off. I mean we don't hear from him or see him the rest of the game (or at least to my knowledge).
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~