Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Post by stopped_clock »

SiXo wrote:And how you see that the family only loved Josh.
This is not true. They loved Alex just as much as they loved Josh.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
SiXo
Just Passing Through

Post by SiXo »

stopped_clock wrote:
SiXo wrote:And how you see that the family only loved Josh.
This is not true. They loved Alex just as much as they loved Josh.
I know they did, but you know the hole feeling. He is not on any photos, the one where he was are taken down, on tape you hear father telling Josh how he should not spend to much time with Alex, the playground they bulied just for Josh, while Alex had to buy him self a bike from doing paper job, all of his toys were sold...They did love him, but Josh was the one that was ment to be saved, so he had everything.
welcome toImagesilent hill
Anxiety Sponge, MD
Just Passing Through

Post by Anxiety Sponge, MD »

I loved the music in this one and I loved Scarlet. Scarlet and the whole Hell Descent single-handedly made this game worth playing.
See you in hell, cupcake.
46n2
Just Passing Through

Post by 46n2 »

I liked more than the whole Scarlet/Hell Descent bit, but I openly admit that it was this games shining moment. It was like this games Toluca Prison in 2, or Midwich Elementary in 1.
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

Anxiety Sponge, MD wrote:I loved the music in this one and I loved Scarlet. Scarlet and the whole Hell Descent single-handedly made this game worth playing.
Yes. Scarlet part was one of the creepiest in the whole series.
Just passing through since 2007.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

46n2 wrote:I liked more than the whole Scarlet/Hell Descent bit, but I openly admit that it was this games shining moment. It was like this games Toluca Prison in 2, or Midwich Elementary in 1.
Huh, guess I'm different than most. I would say Alex's Otherworld House for Homecoming, Labyrith for 2, and Hospital for 1. I would also say Lakeside Amusment park for 3, Apartment for 4, and Sanitarium for Origins.

Anyway, I thought that Alex's attic in otherworld was the scariest part of the game. Scarlet looked creepy when I saw it online, but in game it seemed less scary.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

HomecomIng has quite a few things I like about it.

I liked that the combat system wasn't unwieldy like in every other Silent Hill. I liked that the game didn't recycle a bunch of environments from the previous titles, and that some of them were very memorable. The graphics were really good, the voice acting was mostly decent, the sound effects were excellent, and the music was good like always. The game just oozed atmosphere. And it was scary.

I liked the enemy and boss designs. I liked the way they worked Pyramid Head's avatar into the game in a way that made sense. I liked the more intimate, pulled-in camera angles. And perhaps most of all, I liked the fact that the two choices you are forced to make have a real emotional impact. Especially that first one, oh Jesus. I literally had to walk away from the game for a few minutes and let it sink in.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
HenryTownshend
Just Passing Through

Post by HenryTownshend »

Does everything count?
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I liked the darkness of the game, every area seemed very dark and depressing. I liked that the music was there for alot of the game, and it wasn't just all atmosphere noises and such. I liked the Hotel level and of course Scarlet and Hell decent, that place still gives me nightmares and the creeps.

I liked how when you made it to Silent Hill, how everything looked even more deserted and old than even the older titles made Silent Hill look. To me this is how that place would probably look after 25 to 30 years of being empty and people being drawn there.

I liked the endings to the game, I won't go into them because of spoilers. But one ending in particular still makes more sense to me than all the others.

Alot of people complain about PH being in the game. But I actually appreciate that he is there, and that he is kinda stalking you. The fact that you don't see him much, is what made it extra creepy for me at least. Because through the entire first part of the game, I was scared to turn a corner. Because I kept hearing that scrapping of the blade going on every few minutes. That really gave me the creeps, it was a very well done moment in the game, and I think the opening deserves more praise than it gets certainly.

The ending left something to be desired, but overall it wasn't terrible. I liked the storyline, and how family was valued in the storyline here. I liked the relationship in the flashbacks shown between Alex and his brother, that was very touching to me. As someone that didn't get to spend alot of time with his brothers growing up, the storyline here really hits home with me on a personal level.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I love the detail in the game. I loved examining all the stuff in the house and Alex recalling childhood memories.

I liked the combat (except maybe the dongheads) and I liked how interactive battle was.

Oh, and I also love the game for having created Alex Shepherd. Because without him, this guy wouldn't have done a cosplay that is so hot it makes me jizz. http://s1.hubimg.com/u/322612_f520.jpg
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

Everything about this game is great.
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
Silent Milance
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Milance »

Let's see... It's been a while since I played it, but I think I can still recall what I liked and/or didn't like...

Truth be told, the only things that really matter to me are the story and the atmosphere. I liked the story, overall. It does become a bit obvious too early, but it was still nicely done. The atmosphere was... Well, it wasn't too bad for the most part of the game... I expected everything to be much worse when I started playing the game.

Scarlet is by far my favorite boss fight in all Silent Hill! And I agree that Hell Descent was the best point of the game... That and the choices that the game has made you make. I remember staring in shock when I had to make the first one...

Well, I liked the game all in all.. It was not as good as the first four, but it's definitely worth playing...
You've seen that horrible world, as well...
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I just finished Homecoming last night...
1. I liked the overall quality of the VA's performances.
2. The story was above average, which was more than I expected.
3. The art-direction was beautiful and creepy more-often-than-not.
4. The enemies were all tough & relentless. They really kept you on your toes.
5. All the bosses were great to fight. Creepy, nightmarish, and deadly. I didn't mind the QTE's so much actually.
6. The alleged Travis Grady cameo.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

thy_butcher wrote:6. The alleged Travis Grady cameo.
Alleged? There's doubt?

Anyway, what I liked about Homecoming was the Cain and Abel theme as well as the idea of the protagonist not really being a soldier but a delusional insane asylum patient (briefly explored in Jacob's Ladder). I was opposed to the inclusion of the Order but seeing the parents' various reactions to the monster incarnations of their children was intriguing.

I feel that if the game had been better designed and presented then it would have been better received.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ I said "alleged" back then because there are people who don't fully believe that it's Travis. I've seen it on this site; so I was just giving myself some clearance.
On that subject: IT IS TRAVIS GRADY. It was stated directly by a developer on an episode of Qore.
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

What I liked best about this game was getting my money refunded for it at Gamestop.
THAT is so rare.

Actually, the only character I liked was Wheeler.
Mayor Bartlett's drunken snide attitude was amusing, too. That was it.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I liked
Alex and Elle. I thought they were cute together, and I hoped they would escape the mess of Shepherd's Glen.

Judge Holloway- I did not expect her to be abducting and killing and just being evil, although on my second playthrough my brother instantly knew she was bad, so maybe I missed something about her but I was surprised

The plot- I loved the whole story aside from the families being dumb and not having enough children or just sacraficing like a 2 month old which really hasn't lived yet. I mean sacraficing Alex who is in his twenties is a bit much.

The moral choices- That was so hard, especially the part with Lilian. I can't imagine ever having to do something like that.

The Bosses
The combat which forced you to think instead of just slashing
I really liked the hotel, the prison, and the area where the torture takes place

The lurkers, smog, and the nurses

I liked the puzzles. They ranged in difficulty and some were very hard, but not impossible

I liked the mystery of what was going on and the atmosphere of the game
TEARO
Just Passing Through

Post by TEARO »

I like a lot about homecoming.

I like Most of the characters, especially Alex.
I like the story and the twists.
I believe the bosses are AMAZING! They are just amazing!
I love the enemies and what they represent, especially the schisms.
Scarlett and the entire scene were amazing.
The whole part where you have to get the woman hiding 3 memories of her past was also beautiful.

I believe homecoming is a lot better than what people make it. Just because it had pyramid head and movie like otherworld transitions doesn't mean it's crap.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The older it gets the more I appreciate Homecoming. I mean I loved it first time too but I was too busy being bothered with the action-horror scenes (where the other characters are helping Alex run from the monsters etc - I've always found it better when the protagonist feels totally alone and not even sure of the other characters are even seeing the monsters) to truly appreciate it's best moments.

I too think the story is one of the best in the series. The one main plot twist was only predictable because we have all played SH2 before. However, we forget how many OTHER great plot twists happen in the game, beyond just this one, which are nothing like SH2 or anything else in the series.

I love Shepherd's Glen and some of the backstory you can find out if you take the time to read and explore, particularly if you visit the Mayor's office at the start when it's optional, because it deepens the characters whose fate you later have to witness.

Sure, Pyramid Head is a unnecessary fanservice (well, I'm a fan, so service me) but I love the way they use him here, not as something to haunt Alex and scare the player, but rather as an actual punisher, almost like he's on Alex's side.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I love the slick combat. Sure, some of the monsters get almost too hard and it becomes a big dance of timing and memorisation after a while, but I always thought the one thing stopping survival horror games from becoming truly great was the terrible combat which is always present in the genre, and Homecoming was able to introduce good combat without changing genre entirely like Resident Evil.

Finally, the bosses. Oh god were they amazing. Best bosses in the series, no question. I love the way they use Zelda-style boss battles - find a way to stun it then pummel it with attacks until it pulls itself together and repeat - there's something so intense and satisfying about this style of battle. They also feel incredibly intimidating without being unfairly difficult.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Fighting with melee weapons was always about timing and memorization in the earlier games. Only difference is Homecoming makes it flow smoother with better controls.

Kind of a shame there are so many fans who think combat and controls need to be crippled in order to be "scary" and "not ruin immersion".

I'd rather see Homecoming's system brushed up and implemented with some of Downpour's ideas including the block ability, one melee weapon at a time, and breakable weapons. That could prevent people from feeling too powerful for those naysayers. Downpour just feels like a step down from Homecoming (surprisingly) in terms of combat and monster design.

Not that the fighting isn't serviceable because it's still very functional, but it just isn't as up to snuff as it could be.