Is Downpour scary?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

acet19
Just Passing Through

Is Downpour scary?

Post by acet19 »

Did this game scare you? I can't get it till the 29th but want to know if it's trippy like the other games! None of the reviews seemed to say if it actually scared them or not.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Is Downpour scary?

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

It scared me a lot, actually. I'll just say that there are lots of random scares in the game, and the devs. did a great job with using the most simple things to scare you.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

By the end you sort of get used to it and aren't too scared, but in getting used to it you will be on your guard a lot.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
Dark Shadow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Shadow »

It is pretty scary, and I think it has a fantastic creepy atmosphere.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

This game literally gave me nightmares, and that is no lie. To answer your question it is scary, but in the way that the older silent hill games were scary, if you know what i mean?

The atmosphere, the way the camera shifts, the way the town itself looks, the way the storyline slowly unfolds. All those things I just mentioned, are what made me feel quite uneasy through the whole experience. And at times, it has moments where you're genuinely scared, just by the atmosphere and how uneasy the game makes you feel.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

It was pretty creepy for me until the godawful
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Bogeyman and Prisoners
became the focus, and man, there was just waaay too much focus on direct combat. Enemies stopped scaring me cuz I had already pummeled them to death so many friggin times.
Your weaboo is showing
DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

Post by DMChristensen »

Falconv1.0 wrote:It was pretty creepy for me until the godawful
Bogeyman and Prisoners
became the focus, and man, there was just waaay too much focus on direct combat. Enemies stopped scaring me cuz I had already pummeled them to death so many friggin times.
I thought
the Prisoners were less scary than the Bogeyman. I think the idea of the Bogeyman was pretty cool, but I agree the Prisoners when in Overlook Penitentiary got less scary and more of a nuisance because you had to kill all of those never-ending ones while trying to do the puzzle after getting the Forensic Flashlight.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

DMChristensen wrote:
Bogeyman and Prisoners
I thought
the Prisoners were less scary than the Bogeyman. I think the idea of the Bogeyman was pretty cool, but I agree the Prisoners when in Overlook Penitentiary got less scary and more of a nuisance because you had to kill all of those never-ending ones while trying to do the puzzle after getting the Forensic Flashlight.
I think my hugest issue with the Bogeyman is how it's like, the exact opposite of what made monsters scary in the past. In the documentary for 2, it's pretty clearly stated that Pyramid Head's crazy head came about because he realized the earlier design just looked like a guy in a mask, and it wasn't very scary. See, the great thing about making a sequel to a series full of good games is you can reference the older games for at least some kind of idea as to what made them good.

And for the love of God don't give me the "oh you just dislike changes" argument. I love new monsters. I don't like shit that looks like it belongs more in a Resident Evil game making silly grunts while you spin kick off its face.
Your weaboo is showing
DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

Post by DMChristensen »

Falconv1.0 wrote:
DMChristensen wrote:
Bogeyman and Prisoners
I thought
I think my hugest issue with the Bogeyman is how it's like, the exact opposite of what made monsters scary in the past. In the documentary for 2, it's pretty clearly stated that Pyramid Head's crazy head came about because he realized the earlier design just looked like a guy in a mask, and it wasn't very scary. See, the great thing about making a sequel to a series full of good games is you can reference the older games for at least some kind of idea as to what made them good.

And for the love of God don't give me the "oh you just dislike changes" argument. I love new monsters. I don't like shit that looks like it belongs more in a Resident Evil game making silly grunts while you spin kick off its face.
I'm not going to give you the "oh you just dislike changes" argument. It isn't an argument at all. And I agree on the Bogeyman's design looking like something that would come out of Resident Evil (I personally like the concept art of him more than the finished thing), but all I said was what he symbolized is pretty cool (in my own opinion).
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I think what he represents is fine, he could have been handled infinitely better though.
Your weaboo is showing
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I find that Downpour affects me like the other SH games. There are moments of terror sprinkled throughout the experience, with heavy doses of tension and dread hanging over me most of the time.
Isolation. Cold. Disconnected.
I'm usually on-guard with cautions exploration & such, but yeah, the game truly scares me on occasion. But it's mostly tension and curious intrigue with a few slices of disturbing. :)
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I think it handles the scares quite well; much better than Shattered Memories, which I loved. I'm only an hour or two in, but the atmosphere is great, knowing from previous interviews that the rain is dangerous tenses me up when it starts raining, and there have been a few moments that have actually scared my roommates and I despite having the lights on in our apartment.

Also, I really, really like the introduction of the first monster.
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

acet19 wrote:Did this game scare you? I can't get it till the 29th but want to know if it's trippy like the other games! None of the reviews seemed to say if it actually scared them or not.
NO~

This game is so tame it's pathetic.
1. you can see monsters from like a mile away
2. there not scary at all there anoying
3. they only show up in rainstorms or if you get caught by a patroll car
4. even on hard mode it takes like 20 hits for them to finally kill you (but with the crap ass-ass crap save system you dont have to wory about dying because you'll just start right there)
5. the lighting is ok at first.. but once you make it to silent hill everything is bright and you can see everything.

However there are some of those cheep pop out scares every now and then... but its not really scary. you only jump a bit because its a natural reflex.

This game was very disapointing... the first silent hill I actually did not like.
oO?
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Some areas were genuinely terrifying, such as
right when Murphy picks up that guy's heart in a jar underground and the entire universe screams at the top of its lungs for five minutes straight.
Otherwise, the outdoor areas were too easy to be scary. As long as you were within a couple of blocks of an indoor area, you could always reset the rainfall timer and pretty much prevent enemies from ever spawning. When the rain does start to come down, it starts to get creepy before being ruined by the awful lightning effect: the whole screen gets a pink filter for a split second (no light source or dynamic shadows) and then fades back to normal. That really bothered me, since I knew from another part of the game that the engine could handle realistic lightning (
Hansel and Gretel sequence
), meaning the horrible pink flashes were an intentional design choice.

The otherworld was too frantic, surreal and plain LARGE to be really scary, in my opinion.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

KingCrimson wrote:The otherworld was too frantic, surreal and plain LARGE to be really scary, in my opinion.
Yes, they were just so...loud and fast paced and abstract that it's just like, you can't even really fathom it being real. Past Otherworlds felt like a prison that was just messed up and creepy, this felt like a roller coaster ride.
Your weaboo is showing
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

sh#1fan wrote:4. even on hard mode it takes like 20 hits for them to finally kill you (but with the crap ass-ass crap save system you dont have to wory about dying because you'll just start right there)
Is this true? I've been hearing some things about the save system that really have me concerned. If you die, do you really just respawn on the spot? Is there any sort of penalty for dying in this game?
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

You do not respawn on the spot, save points vary but I never respawned "on the spot".

Then again, I barely died, because the monsters all sucked.
Your weaboo is showing
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I'm playing on Hard combat difficulty. I think that the monsters are definitely formidable. They aren't so predictable like HC's monsters.
I find it to be a nice balance; as in, the monsters aren't so vicious that they're annoying because they constantly kill you. But they are most certainly dangerous. If you don't keep your guard up, you're going to lose health-packs that could've been saved. They are intent on your demise & won't give up once your in-sight.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

sh#1fan wrote:1. you can see monsters from like a mile away
2. there not scary at all there anoying
3. they only show up in rainstorms or if you get caught by a patroll car
4. even on hard mode it takes like 20 hits for them to finally kill you (but with the crap ass-ass crap save system you dont have to wory about dying because you'll just start right there)
5. the lighting is ok at first.. but once you make it to silent hill everything is bright and you can see everything.
1. It seemed like the same distance in several previous games to me.
2. Subjective, although I do agree they can be annoying, luckily it's easy to run away in most cases.
3. Not true.
4. Not true.
5. Funny, it seemed quite dark to me. Perhaps you should readjust the lighting? That is an option, you know.

Also, there is more to the horror of a game than if the monsters can kill you.

Personally, I thought there were some very creepy atmospheric locations and I did get a bit creeped out at times. Which makes this the second game in the series, following the original, that I found even remotely scary. Make of that what you will.

Although Downpour does have two or three cheap jump scares too, which is almost always a negative in my book in the "Scary" department.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

^ Even the first game had its jump scare moments.