Bad save system.

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: Bad save system.

Post by Yuki »

I'm not exactly a fan of punishing gamers too much for losing. I do love games for gameplay and for story (sometimes together, sometimes separately), but to me, simply dying is punishment enough. Losing, depending on the game, hours of work is annoying.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Yuki wrote:I'm not exactly a fan of punishing gamers too much for losing. I do love games for gameplay and for story (sometimes together, sometimes separately), but to me, simply dying is punishment enough. Losing, depending on the game, hours of work is annoying.
I agree, losing hours of work is way too much. I think the key is that games shouldn't punish too much, and they shouldn't punish too little. As long as there is at least a little bit of a setback when you die, and you don't just respawn on the spot with no penalty, that's fine.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

KiramidHead wrote:I'm sorry, but losing progress and having to redo things is just plain tedious bullshit. Unless you happen to be a masochist *cough* Dark Souls fans *cough*, than that just isn't fun.
You can always go back to a save point and reuse it if you don't want to fight the same enemies again. When playing a game for the first time, espcially a horror game, I tend to save near constantly. Even though I've played the first few SHs 15 or 25 times each, I still save 20 or 30 times with each playthrough. What's great about manual saves is that if you lose content, it's your fault. Of course, that doesn't work for some games, like God of War where you may have to fight the same wave of enemies a bunch of times, but SH games aren't designed to be that hard. The only times you should ever die multiple times in a SH game is instant death events, and maybe bosses (I think the first few game's had a continue button for that). SH2 is most popularity considered the best in the series, it's also the easiest. So manual saves are never bad for a SH game if it's done right.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

I don't see why the mod would lump these to things together. One topic is a save glitch one topic is old save system vs new one. Anyway I am playing on ps3 and I do not have this glitch it only saves when I enter or leave a building and after main objectives. As far as old vs new I like the new one because you are never set back to far but they could have just put a Manuel save every place they got the auto save to please long time fans.
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

Hmm... just got the game last night. It is a bit unusual for me to not have a fix save point like the previous Silent Hill. I guess it always gave me a sense of "destination" when I get to those places. Almost gave me a reason to take a break. Now that we don't have that, I actually not sure when I'm going to stop... maybe that's a good thing?

Though I ended up a bit stuck at one spot last night, and as I was sleepy I went to sleep and just turned off the system, I have no idea when it was last saved... that I don't like. I'd like to at least for sure know when my last save was.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

When I played the game, I was compulsively checking the "Load" screen to see where my last save was. It got a little bit tiring after a while, but I had no major complaints with the save system. For the most part it did a major save every five or ten minutes, and the checkpoint saves every minute or two were helpful (and I didn't think the save icon during those moments was distracting).
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

Come to think of it, if the game saves everything for you, how does that impact with the multiple ending replay then? I know a lot of people used to like to save the game right before some major incident that might impact the game ending. Now that we can't do that, does that mean we will have to replay the entire game to get another ending?

I haven't read anything in the "spoiler" thread yet, so I'm not even sure whether we have multiple endings in this game, I'm only assuming this from the info I got before and the history of the game.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^ that actually may be one reason they implemented an auto save feature over a manuel. no cheating the endings.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

The game saves right before you do the very last thing necessary to finish the game. Since the very last thing is one of the major factors into which ending you get (which there are six total, sorata, including a joke ending), you can reload your last save, change the way you do that final thing, and get up to three of the endings just with one playthrough.
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

Harlequin wrote:The game saves right before you do the very last thing necessary to finish the game. Since the very last thing is one of the major factors into which ending you get (which there are six total, sorata, including a joke ending), you can reload your last save, change the way you do that final thing, and get up to three of the endings just with one playthrough.
Oh so that's not too bad at the end then. Thanks for filling in the gap! It's interesting that this "last thing" impact the ending so much though... now makes me wonder how much my action throughout the game is going to influence the game... anyway, I guess I'll find out :D
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

Honestly, the way I treated monsters didn't affect my "score" in the slightest. I intended to only incapacitate them so I could go for one of the good endings, but after the first two jumped back up and attacked me again... no way. I killed every one of those things. And I still got the good endings. So most of it depends on the morality choices you make, plus the finale of the game.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Ok...so i'm about two hours in...i love the atmosphere and the visuals are great, but concerning this save system?, it's all over the place. Example and this is not really a spoiler, but i died in an area once i got to SH (the area where you go into the police dept)...then the game starts me at the very end of Devils Pit...that is just inexcusable.

Nobody should have to worry about dying and being transported halfway back through the level, that is not a slick or compelling game mechanic, that is just bad programming...if you die, you should only be a few feet away or a decent distance away from where you died. Zapping you back so far is just an annoying mechanic and takes you out of the experience...still i'm loving the experience tho.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

clips wrote:i died in an area once i got to SH (the area where you go into the police dept)...then the game starts me at the very end of Devils Pit...that is just inexcusable.
That seems like a glitch; it should have done the checkpoints at least before then. But maybe I'm wrong.

There's a basement I think just down the road from the police station that once you go into it, it saves, and when you come out of it, it saves. I mean the major saves that you can actually load back up even if you quit the game entirely and go back to it later. You'll end up either in the basement or just outside of it. It's a useful place to save.
LastScion
Just Passing Through

Post by LastScion »

I'd really like to start my second play-through, but I've yet to finish copying down all of the files and the game'll overwrite my 100% play-through if I try.

Here's the clincher, though - I went into the PS3 save folder, and the god damn thing actively prevents you from moving Silent Hill: Downpour saves to anywhere but your Playstation Plus online storage -- which I don't have.

Is there any way around this bullshit? If I can't back up my saves, what's the point?
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

Clips that is a glitch there is a couple saves in between there........
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Shadowgate wrote:Clips that is a glitch there is a couple saves in between there........
That really is a pretty unforgivable glitch...
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

We'll see...i'm currently at the library section i think it is?...anyway i had something to do so i just turned the game off. i just hope when i go back to it that it spawns me back not too far from where i was at.
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

Reinstalling the game data fixed a diffident save problem maybe It till help you guys as well.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I've not had any problems with the save system so far.... The checkpoints seem to be fine. They aren't too spaced out or anything I don't think
soam108
Just Passing Through

Post by soam108 »

The main problem for me is the constant saving icon that pops up and the necessary trial and error of finding out that those icons dont actually save your game.. It's almost like the icon should say "loading" or just not have a stupid icon at all dammit.